Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hi, I'm at my wits end  (Read 140 times)

Offline lekisiat

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi, I'm at my wits end
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:33:23 PM »
Hello all,

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out what to say without writing a book.

My entire life I have had a paralyzing fear of heights. I have accepted this and know that there are things that I will never do and places I will never go. I have learned to live with it, it is just a part of who I am. Unfortunately, in recent years I have started having anxiety attacks while driving. This started about three years ago while driving home from work (the same route I had driven for the previous 5 years). The attacks were so rare that I didn't think about it too much.
Fast forward to present day and I am a non functioning driver. I cannot even drive to the Walmart around the corner from my house. I panick about panicking!

I had not been able to tell anyone what was going on because it's humiliating but I have run out of excuses and had to tell my husband why I "don't feel like" going to the store. Just the other day I was driving home from the 7-11 when the terror gripped me. I had to pull over or risk killing someone. I couldn't breathe and I felt physically ill. I was stuck for 20 minutes unable to get home which is 2 minutes tops from where I was. I am 38 years old and I have to get my husband to drive me places. I don't know what to do at this point. I am a very religious woman but when I'm overcome with the fear I find faith imposssible to come by. I cannot live the rest of my life like this! I can't help but to think about the fact that it may get worse than it is now.

I'm trying to figure out how to calm myself down when I'm having an attack without being a danger to others on the road.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hi, I'm at my wits end
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:08:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.

All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.

Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: