Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: supplements instead of meds...opinions?  (Read 413 times)

Offline twitcher

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
supplements instead of meds...opinions?
« on: February 13, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
hey all....I am in the midst of a terrible bout of GAD, specifically health anxiety...I have back\neck pain from disc issues as well as nerve pain that is either related or psychosomatic...suffer from insomnia (waking up 5-6 times a night) as well...I took Remeron for a little while that definitely helped with sleep but I am not a huge fan of being on the meds...long story short here is my question...

has anyone found vitamin and amino acid supplements (L-tyrosine, L-trytophan, l-glutamine, P5P, etc) that worked to reduce anxiety?

thanks for any  feedback
Bookmark and Share

Offline Quietowl

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: supplements instead of meds...opinions?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:10:38 PM »
I haven't tried those supplements but if you're interested in trying supplements over meds (which works for some) i would try to find a doctor that is M.D. but also D.O. They seem to look at your body and relate it to diet and supplements more than regular doctors.

If you're interested in herbs I have found ashwaganda, lemon balm and rhodiola to be helpful with GAD.

Fish oil, B12 and other brain essentials could be helpful. Try encorporating more fatty acids into your diet.

You may have to try some of the supplements you suggested and see if they work for you individually
Bookmark and Share

Offline twitcher

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »
thanks for the response...anyone else have any feedback?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheesus

• Rec's: 34
  • Ha-Hum
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »
Consider what your issues are and what you're taking the supplements for. It is best to direct your approach rather than just popping pills willy-nilly. As Kaybellavita says, it would be good to get some professional guidance on this one so you have some direction. Certainly, though, I believe a decent treatment approach can certainly include supplements to target certain imbalances and pathologies.
Bookmark and Share
You can't calm the waves, but you can learn to surf!

Basis of Recovery
Intrusive Thoughts
A Philosophy of Anxiety

Offline MISS.ANXIOUS

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
Try FORMULA 303. Its a.natural supplement. that will help with the pain ur experiencing. the anxiety & help u relax. I have just started using it yesterday. But it helps. :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline nipplelina

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:13:57 AM »
I'm afraid of all meds, i refuse to take any anxiety meds. What really really helped ease my anxiety was Pharmanex (NuSkin) CORTITROL. It's all natural stuff. My acupuncture doctor recommended and ordered it for me. I'm all out right now and I'm actually going to order some right now. Google it :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline coeus

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:03:33 AM »
Natural supplements are definitely a viable options but like medication, they carry the trial and error requirement. Each person will differ from the response that have from taking one supplement to another. I would recommend doing the research and understanding what sort of evidence there is to show that natural supplements are effective for the management of anxiety, seeking a professional opinion from your doctor or psychiatrist and making an informed and sound judgments.

Both medication and natural supplements carry their distinct risks and it's up to you to weight them. Antidepressants and benzodiazepines are regulated (for the most part) but have documented side effects. Natural supplements are not regulated and are also substantially documented in terms of the efficacy and/or side effects.

Some other options are St. John's Wort, Kava, Passionflower and possibly L-theanine. Again, please consult your doctor and/or psychiatrist.

Be well.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: