Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Deep breath  (Read 234 times)

Offline Quietowl

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Deep breath
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:02:42 PM »
Does anyone else feel the need to take a deep breath constantly? I don't mean in through your nose out through your mouth in a relaxing way. Like getting a full deep breath.

In August of 2011 I was driving with my mom. I didn't feel well after having a huge caffeine free iced coffee. I tried to get a deep breath but couldn't and this led to an attack. I had to start on my way home but couldn't make it all the way and a friend of mine at the time had to drive us home. From then on I constantly needed to get deep breaths of I didn't feel right. I'd feel like I was short on breath and that getting a deep breath was like a reset to my breathing. If I didn't get one I would panic. Heart racing, shaking, ect. It used to be that I needed one every few minutes. Now I can go all day. Getting one in the morning and before bed. If I have to leave the house, I have to get a deep breath. Im so afraid of not doing it.

It's better in some ways but also bad because I won't go anywhere. Movies, friends' houses, to my religious meetings, sometimes it even interferes with work, but my mom takes over (which makes me feel guilty) it drives me crazy sometimes that I can't do the things that I want to do. Even just going to the grocery store to grab some things because of this fear.

Anyway, anyone can relate? Or just general advice?

Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Deep breath
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:24:09 AM »
Are you working with a doc to verify what is going on?  I encourage you to do that.  I've been diagnosed with panic disorder and getting obsessed about my breathing happens to me.  Don't feel like I'm getting a satisfying breath and my brain goes into a checking mode.  Triggers panic, especially when my heart flutters and skips too.  Awful feelings of doom when it happens.  Disturbing. Treatment for panic and anxiety helps ( therapy and medication if need be).  My primary care doc said my breathing problem was anxiety related. Check in with your doc to get their opinion.  Hope things work out for you.  Take care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CanadianGuy87

• Waiting for my appointment
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • My name is Alex and I have hypochrondria or GAD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 03:30:05 AM »
I can relate to this problem. But with the exception of taking caffeinated drinks. I try to breathe in and out to calm down and it only worsens the problem.

I recommend what e77 said, go to a health care professional and get therapy or medication. Great advice e77! Have any of you heard of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)? Either try that or take medication recommended by your doctor.
Bookmark and Share
"The only thing we have to fear is....fear itself!" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline Quietowl

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:18:19 AM »
I see a primary care doctor (D.O) who has helped me find natural solutions, and I also changed my diet dramatically. (No gluten,dairy,wheat, peanuts as I am intolerant) I was also a vegetarian and low in cholesterol and fat so my body was basically starving itself. So I started eating meat again. Now I just started cutting out grains because my stomach has been bothering me on and off. It took awhile but aft that I gained more energy.

I saw a therapist and I learned so much through CBT. I used to not be able to talk to people without feeling like I couldn't breathe (which only came on after the attack) now that's gone. I am now with a new therapist and we work on some of the same things, trying to figure out where this fear is from.

I also see a pharmacologist and I'm on meds. I've upped the dosage but I'm very sensitive to meds so we're going slow.

I feel like I am doing all the right things, except I can't seem to figure out how to control my irrational brain.

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond.

Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »
I really like the advice given in Dr. Claire Weekes book "Hope and Help for Your Nerves."  Gave me a better understanding of the body sensations that trigger my anxiety.  Chapter 7 addresses breathing and other physical triggers.  Understanding what is going on with my brain and body helps me a bit to de-sensitize. Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline Quietowl

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »
I have that book. I'll have to take a look because I don't remember that bit.

Thanks again.
Bookmark and Share