Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: GAD and Therapy  (Read 559 times)

Offline lcfrogs

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD and Therapy
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 06:45:43 AM »
I actually just quickly read through IFS and it looks like it's full of bullshit. Subpersonalities? Parts? This all sounds like Jungian archetypal wishy-washy psychobabble. I'm so glad that we are past the Jungian/Freudian era. They might have contributed largely to how we view psychology now but some of their understanding of psychology was way too entrenched in understanding the unconscious domain.

In terms of the self-harm, I do find that strange. I always thought that the self-harm tendencies is only associated with BPD.

Yes, I believe IFS is bullshit too. I mentioned it because I brought up the subject of how a certain treatment center I went to often over diagnosed DID. My experience at this treatment center, which is a eating disorders and trauma-based treatment center, actually nearly traumatized me.

While I was a patient there, I had little experience with therapy or treatment and so I didn't really understand why some things that happened there seemed really...WRONG...to me. The founders of the treatment center, particularly Mark Schwartz, were really odd...they dressed really funny and just did things that seemed unusual to me. I witnessed multiple patients constantly having "flashbacks" (they were totally faking it) and even claim that they had "trauma food" (food that reminds them of a trauma they have). I was pretty naive at the time, but I was smart enough to know that this was all bullshit. Anyway, my therapist tried IFS on me. I actually did give it a chance for maybe a week or so...but the way they talk in IFS makes patients sound like they are nuts and I didn't want to sound like that. For example, one patient there would sometimes start talking like a child and claim that this was her "child part."

After I discharged from the treatment center, the more time that passed where I was back out in the 'real world'...the more strange the treatment center seemed to me when I thought about it. I stayed in touch with some former patients, and many of them continued to go back inpatient at the treatment center. Many of these people that I personally know will tell you (and they really believe it) that not only did Mark diagnose them with DID, but their families were part of a satanic cult that ate babies. Soon I personally made a correlation between IFS and the misdiagnosis of DID. I can't say that IFS caused the diagnosis...but I can say that each person I know who was diagnosed with DID was an active participant in IFS therapy.

Furthermore, this was all broadcast in the media about a year and a half ago. Many patients came forward and sued Mark, claiming he had planted in them false memories (specifically about being in a satanic cult). I can give you some links if you want to read more about it.

With this experience I believe it gave me a new perspective on life, particularly what is healthy and what is not. The treatment center ironically felt very much like a cult...and I didn't really realize it until after I had been discharged for some time and 'snapped out of it.' So although it was a bad experience for me, it was also a good experience...because now I know both how good therapy can be and also how potentially damaging it can be.

Oh, and while self-harm is certainly associated with BPD, it is not always directly caused by it. One of my best friends is a recovered self-harmer...and she would have been considered 'hard core' (she has the scars to prove it). She is not diagnosed with BPD nor does she behave at all like someone with BPD. I have seen many self-harmers, both with and without the BPD diagnosis.

Here is a short article about the treatment center lawsuit, which also provides links to lawsuit cases:
http://www.kmov.com/news/editors-pick/Castelwood-Treatment-Center-Lawsuits-178973201.html
Bookmark and Share
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

"Just breathe, it will be okay"- my best friend

<3 LC

Offline coeus

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 05:57:08 AM »
Sorry about the late reply. I too have been quite busy with work and other commitments. Life still goes on with or without anxiety hmph.

I skimmed through that article and was shocked. What a disgrace.

While I've (fortunately I suppose) haven't needed to admit myself into a treatment centre, I have to say that any therapy form exposes the individual to some level of risk given that openness and disclosure is one of the main components of recovery. Some may benefit and some may not, however, it seems that most do benefit from it.

I've only ever come across someone with BPD traits before as mentioned in my earlier post (no official diagnosis but the psychologist did observe the clinical traits) but it was comorbid with depression so the self-harm as a behaviour was unclear whether it was from any of those two diagnoses. But based on the DSM, it's probably that it could have been BPD. It's very intriguing how behaviours can manifest over different mental conditions or absence thereof. I guess the diagnostic labels are just there for reference, not a fact.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Fireraiser

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »
I have been reading this thread and have found it very interesting. 
Myself I have done ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy).  I found this very useful.  I have been on Celexa during the treatment (a very high dose) and since than as well (a slightly lower dose).  The ACT treatment also gave me a better relationship with my anxiety and I feel a good basis for being able to keep it at a manageable level.

The comment about self harm, I have not been diagnosed with BPD, but diagnosed with GAD, but I have self harmed.  Not sure if I missed the gist of the comment, but I thought I should mention this.
Bookmark and Share
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

Offline lcfrogs

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »

The comment about self harm, I have not been diagnosed with BPD, but diagnosed with GAD, but I have self harmed.  Not sure if I missed the gist of the comment, but I thought I should mention this.

I don't think you misunderstood the comment, that is actually what I was trying to explain. I don't think self-harm happens on it's own, rather it is a symptom of another mental illness and not just BPD. My self-harm is a symptom of my major depressive disorder. So when I'm not in a phase of depression, I don't self-harm. For others, self-harm is more frequent...possibly because they are never not depressed and also because they have not developed a healthy way to cope with their emotions. I really only resort to self-harm when I feel like my body is going to explode from so much tension and emotion...and I guess the cutting "releases" tension. But for me, I have only gone through phases of self-harm...I wouldn't be considered a frequent or hard core cutter. I encountered many self-harmers when I was in treatment for my eating disorder...it is a common symptom found in the mental illness. I don't know much about GAD causing self-harm symptoms, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is true.
Bookmark and Share
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

"Just breathe, it will be okay"- my best friend

<3 LC

Tags: GAD therapy