Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone tried zenlife supplements. Not an advertisement..  (Read 1843 times)

Offline CDG

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone tried zenlife supplements. Not an advertisement..
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:03:36 AM »
Just bought some.  Before I take it.. I need some imput.  Do they work at all? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone tried zenlife supplements. Not an advertisement..
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »
Just bought some.  Before I take it.. I need some imput.  Do they work at all?

Is this the one that contains GABA and L-Theanine?  If so the best way to take is is to drop each capsule into the toilet bowl and flush. You will achieve exactly the same result as swallowing it while avoiding the dangers of accidentally choking on it.

Orally taken GABA cannot pass through the blood-brain-barrier. L-Theanine is promoted as a GABA booster which is only partly true. Not that it matters since every reasonable healthy brain doesn't lack GABA. It is produced as a byproduct during the Kreb's (aka citric acid) cycle that converts glucose to adenosine triphosphate (ATP) the main fuel of the brain (and the body generally).  The brain is awash with the stuff, so much so that the blood-brain-barrier contains billions of molecular pumps to suck GABA from the brain for disposal (Kakee A, 2001). Some antidepressants also reduce GABA levels in areas of the brain associated with anxiety such as the amygdala and hippocampus, see for example (Reagan LP, 2012).

The problem isn't a lack of GABA, but a lack of benzo-GABA complex receptors1. Trying to correct this by increasing GABA levels in the brain is akin to fixing faulty sparkplugs by filling the gas tank to overflowing.

The Zen Life supplements website claims that GABA and L-Theanine promote production of serotonin. No they don't. Theanine actually reduces serotonin synthesis and speeds up its breakdown (Yokogoshi H, 1995 - PDF, p3; Yokogoshi H, 1998), which is a good thing because you don't want more serotonin in your brain. See: Serotonin: The 'chemical imbalance' myth.

To end on a positive note, apart from the choking risk, this supplement shouldn't do any harm. The L-Theanine might do something positive if there is enough in every capsule (dose not specified) and provided the other ingredients don't get in the way. However, Omega-3s/fish oil supplements and exercise are likely to do you more good.

Ian

References:

[1]
Bremner JD, Innis RB, Southwick SM, et al. (2000)
"Decreased benzodiazepine receptor binding in prefrontal cortex in combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder."
Am J Psychiatry Jul; vol 157(7):1120-6 (Abstract)

Bremner JD, Innis RB, White T, et al (2000)
"SPECT [I-123]iomazenil measurement of the benzodiazepine receptor in panic disorder."
Biol Psychiatry  Jan 15; vol 47(2):96-106 (Abstract)

Malizia AL.  (1999)
"What do brain imaging studies tell us about anxiety disorders? "
J Psychopharmacol Dec; vol 13(4):372-8 (Abstract)

Malizia AL, Cunningham VJ, Bell CJ, et al. (1998)
"Decreased brain GABA(A)-benzodiazepine receptor binding in panic disorder: preliminary results from a quantitative PET study."
 Arch Gen Psychiatry Aug; vol 55(8):715-20 (Abstract)

Tokunaga M, Ida I, Higuchi T, Mikuni M. (1997)
"Alterations of benzodiazepine receptor binding potential in anxiety and somatoform disorders measured by 123I-iomazenil SPECT."
Radiat Med May-Jun; vol 15(3):163-9 (Abstract)

Uchiyama M, Sue H, Fukumitsu N, et al. (1997)
"Assessment of cerebral benzodiazepine receptor distribution in anxiety disorders by 123I-iomazenil-SPECT: comparison to cerebral perfusion scintigraphy by 123I-IMP."
Nippon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zasshi Jan; vol 57(1):41-6 (Abstract)
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone tried zenlife supplements. Not an advertisement..
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »
insights took some time with his response.  I've gotta respect that  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Tags: