Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does your meds show up in urine or blood tests?  (Read 574 times)

Offline gigglesalc25

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does your meds show up in urine or blood tests?
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:07:39 PM »
Can a urine test or blood test show is you are taking celexa or xanax? How long would it take to show in those tests if they can?
Bookmark and Share
Amy~

Offline Jules1963

• Poke This Member
Re: Does your meds show up in urine or blood tests?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
It would show the Xanax as its a benzo , not sure about celexa
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:15:53 PM »
Can a urine test or blood test show is you are taking celexa or xanax? How long would it take to show in those tests if they can?

I doubt any employer would test for antidepressants. They might for benzodiazepines. However, if it has been prescribed to you then this shouldn't be a problem.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline gigglesalc25

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:50:54 PM »
NO...actually to be honest I am not worried about an employer....I am nervous to take my anti-depressant and I wondered if my doctor could tell if I took it or not? I know that is terrible...I don't like how it's making me feel. It's not even doing nothing major, I just don't like taking medicines.
Bookmark and Share
Amy~

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
I wondered if my doctor could tell if I took it or not? I know that is terrible...I don't like how it's making me feel. It's not even doing nothing major, I just don't like taking medicines.

So what is the point of lying about it to your doctor? Is s/he going to throw you in prison? Better to explain your difficulty and to ask about therapy, IMHO.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline gigglesalc25

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:42:36 PM »
I am taking the xanax when needed....and because she won't focus on anything else unless I have taken the meds for 4 weeks. I am taking them but...I don't want to. She doesn't exactly listen when I say I don't want to take meds.....I would like to do some different types of things besides an anti-depression medicine and also would like to figure out another health concern but can't do that until I take these meds for 4 weeks. Some doctors IMO....think everything is anxiety when that's not always the case.
Bookmark and Share
Amy~

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »
She doesn't exactly listen when I say I don't want to take meds.

Then see another doctor if you can. Doctors sometimes see themselves as wise gods dispensing wisdom on us lesser mortals from on high, however, they are merely someone we pay, directly or indirectly, for a service rendered. No different to plumbers. We are the ones who should be in charge, not them. Any that aren't aware of this should be dispensed with, asap.

would like to do some different types of things besides an anti-depression medicine

Such as?

and also would like to figure out another health concern

Do you think this other thing is causing your anxiety?

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline gigglesalc25

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:58:53 PM »
I have thought about natural remedies? Maybe a therapist, I am open to anything....just preferably not an anti-depresssant. Yes I do think some of my other health concerns are contributing to my anxiety as I am nervous, stressed. I have had sweats hot/cold night and day....fairly consistant. This was scary to me as I am not a "sweater"I was told that it is possible for stress, anxiety at high levels to cause this. I will go with that....last night was my first sweat free night so that's a plus. Muscle twitching all over...anxiety...I believe it as it had decreased almost totally gone...since i started xanax and feel a little calmer. What I don't think is my anxiety...is my neck...was diagnosed with tendonitis in the front of my neck...my whole neck cracks quite a bit and I have noticed in the last couple weeks a pop/crack in my chest area, it also does it in my back mainly at night when i am tossing and turning. Body cracking and popping form anxiety even in the chest area??? and then there is what I know isn't my anxiety...gerd/silent reflux....struggling with this. Aches and pains....in the throat...and burning sensation up into my nose area...trying to sort this out. I really would like to figure out a plan for this...maybe i am not being patient enough with the gerd/silent reflux meds. I just don't like feeling throat pains. I am hoping the aciphex is helping but I am just not sure....I don't have heartburn so it's hard to tell what it's fixing and what it's not. My esophagus is imflamed.....I feel when i have those pains its not healing...not sure if this is true or if i need to be more patient....well that is my babble ....seems long enough so I will stop now but I could go on. I am seeing an ent and gi doc for the gerd/silent reflux~It is tricky to me. because I was on a round of prednisone for 3 weeks...and then started prilosec right after...my symptoms were pain free prior to the prednisone....looking up prednisone it said soemtimes it can bring out reflux symptoms~ Idk...just a bunch of mess and my anxiety was very very high...it has since calmed some....I feel better mentally each day...and a pinch physically....now that really is the end....
Bookmark and Share
Amy~

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 11:50:21 PM »
I have thought about natural remedies? Maybe a therapist, I am open to anything

For anything other than mild anxiety natural remedies are a waste of money. Most of them are formulated on faulty understanding of what drives anxiety. Therapy, OTOH, can be as effective as antidepressants. If your health insurance covers it then it would be a good option.

....just preferably not an anti-depresssant.

Why?

then there is what I know isn't my anxiety...gerd/silent reflux....struggling with this.

You might be completely wrong. The gut and brain are tightly linked. The gut even has its own brain, the enteric nervous system which is connected to the one in your head via the vagus nerves (which also link the heart and lungs). In recent years electronic vagus nerve stimulators have become important tools for alleviating treatment resistant depression and anxiety (also epilepsy). You're probably aware of the role of serotonin in anxiety and depression. The brain makes and uses a little less than 2% of the serotonin in your body. The gut about 95%. Which gives you an idea how important it is in the scheme of things. The remainder is used by the skin and blood vessels where it mediates blood vessel dilation and constriction and wound repair.

Getting your anxiety under control may lessen the gerd and reflux too.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline gigglesalc25

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 07:17:18 PM »
That is what I am leaning towards...I looked a couple therapists, they have listed anxiety/fears as soemthing they are familiar with now gotta get motivated and call.

Why not an anti-depressant......I was prescribed paxil a few years ago and it made me depressed, I now am scared to take anti-depressants as I never want to feel that kind of way again. Celexa is what the new doc wants me on. Not sure the pros and cons to that one. I also was just on a round of prednisone a couple months ago and that also gave me a touch of depression. My mind isn't strong with certain kinds of meds.

Thanks for that input....I believe that could be a little bit also....other people have mentioned that to me. You seem well educated on anxiety in your opinion do you think during a daily high stressful situation and when my anxiety was at an all time high that I could have sweats for a couple weeks or more....even when i thought i was feeling ok...day and night i would do it...the last three nights have been sweat free basically though....I'm not feelign flushed during the day anymore either just a little sweat on my nose/cheeks area but for quite a while it was very consistent....i think the last few days my anxiety has been way better!
Bookmark and Share
Amy~

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »
Funny fact:  When I went to the emergency room a week ago due to what must have been a breakthru panic attack, they apparently screened my urine for drugs of various sorts, including benzodiazapenes.  I told the morons I took .5 klonopin every night (I've since added another .5 in two divided doses when I wake up and at 3 to prevent a recurrence of the attack) yet the test came out negative for benzos (as well as all the other drugs, never used anything illegal in my life).  They do not test for antidepressants.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gigglesalc25

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
I have thought about natural remedies? Maybe a therapist, I am open to anything

For anything other than mild anxiety natural remedies are a waste of money. Most of them are formulated on faulty understanding of what drives anxiety. Therapy, OTOH, can be as effective as antidepressants. If your health insurance covers it then it would be a good option.

....just preferably not an anti-depresssant.

Why?

then there is what I know isn't my anxiety...gerd/silent reflux....struggling with this.

You might be completely wrong. The gut and brain are tightly linked. The gut even has its own brain, the enteric nervous system which is connected to the one in your head via the vagus nerves (which also link the heart and lungs). In recent years electronic vagus nerve stimulators have become important tools for alleviating treatment resistant depression and anxiety (also epilepsy). You're probably aware of the role of serotonin in anxiety and depression. The brain makes and uses a little less than 2% of the serotonin in your body. The gut about 95%. Which gives you an idea how important it is in the scheme of things. The remainder is used by the skin and blood vessels where it mediates blood vessel dilation and constriction and wound repair.

Getting your anxiety under control may lessen the gerd and reflux too.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
Amy~

Offline gigglesalc25

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
not sure why i quoted everything you wrote but i replied to it the post before it! sorry~
Bookmark and Share
Amy~

Tags: insights