Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Why is 0119 used?  (Read 553 times)

Offline Fireraiser

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Why is 0119 used?
« on: February 03, 2013, 08:39:52 PM »
I have been to the place that makes you want to do that, more than once.  However on my first therapy session I was exposed to the "word" over and over and over again to desensitise me, and show that it is just a word and show that it is okay to talk about it.
So I am curious why the term "0119" is used.  I am in New Zealand and presume the website is in the USA, does this have something to do with it.
I know that in NZ the media are not allowed to mention if a death is 0119.
I am curious why the "word" can't be used.  I am not judging at all, just curious.
Bookmark and Share
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

Offline howifeel

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • Guilt is not a feeling but a verdict.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Why is 0119 used?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:19:51 AM »
Good question. Having been there myself a few times (more than a few actually), discussing it needed to be restricted to certain environments. For me, I was a little too comfortable with the word and freaked out my co-workers and fellow musicians with whom I played, as well as, friends. I have been asked on more than one occasion to not discuss it. Seems that others who hear it are alarmed, and feel the need to do something. I have been told that it is unlikely to make someone not die. The state of mind for me, is quite a passion for relief from seemingly overwhelming mental torment that has no solution from talking heads or medication. It is a term that can be used in some environments such as the helping profession and groups geared towards intervention and relapse prevention. However, places like this and other circumstances not equipped to adequately assess and address the lethality of an individual's condition probably are less likely to be comfortable with the term. That's my best guess. A good question though! The situation in which an individual tries to abort an attempt, such as hanging is quite common (evidence of a struggle prior to death). "The Bridge" is a movie in which one individual stated that after he cleared the railing of the golden gate bridge, he changed his mind about wanting to die. Individuals who have been wanting to kill themselves also have a change of mind after a near death experience, as well. So I think that it is a completely inaccurate perspective that may pass if delayed. Sometimes I feel like I can't control it, and may do it. However, I now see that there is a quantum leap between contemplation and a plan.
Bookmark and Share
I do things to feel better, I don't wait to feel better to do things.

Offline Fireraiser

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »
Thanks for that.  I know you can't answer for sure, but your idea makes sense.
I can defiantly agree that there is a quantum leap between contemplation and plan, and that the control is not always there.
Your story was really interesting to me, as I was so afraid to talk about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lcfrogs

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:20:31 AM »
Why can't the media in New Zealand mention the "word?" That seems strange to me.
Bookmark and Share
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

"Just breathe, it will be okay"- my best friend

<3 LC

Offline Fireraiser

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »
The reason the media can't report if a death is 0119, is that they believe it will result in copy cat acts.  However recently the coroner has recommended that this is changed as it is having a negative impact as it pushes the issue into a taboo subject and results in less people seeking help.  But nothing has been done about it.
Most people understand that if a news story states that the death is not suspicious and the police are not doing any further that they are referring to a 0119.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lcfrogs

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:45:48 AM »
The reason the media can't report if a death is 0119, is that they believe it will result in copy cat acts.  However recently the coroner has recommended that this is changed as it is having a negative impact as it pushes the issue into a taboo subject and results in less people seeking help.  But nothing has been done about it.
Most people understand that if a news story states that the death is not suspicious and the police are not doing any further that they are referring to a 0119.

How odd! Very interesting though.
Bookmark and Share
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

"Just breathe, it will be okay"- my best friend

<3 LC

Tags:

anything