Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mirtazapine  (Read 401 times)

Offline Ava2209

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mirtazapine
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:07:35 AM »
Hi.
I've just started taking Mirtazapine last Friday ... so far so good as after reading about the side effects I was absolutely terrified to be honest. Who's got stories both positive and negative on the impact that its had on their lives so far?

A
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mirtazapine
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »
This is also known as a Remeron? Well according to another thread it is. I take 30mg of it and I love it. I take the sollutab version at night. It knocks me out. I don't have any side effects at all from all. They have to write all those side effects to cover themselves. You will see the exact same list of side effects with any type of medication you get. Works wonders for me.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Jules1963

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
I also just started it last week for anxiety/ panic disorder. The first night it knocked me out which was great as I had t really slept in 3 days! Since then it has helped me sleep and is starting to take the edge off my anxiety, I'm taking a little less Klonopin each day. The only negative so far is I've noticed having neck pain and pins and needles in my fingers. It hasn't really increased my appetite yet but I hope it will be ause my anxiety has caused me to lose weight over the past month, good luck to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ava2209

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:12:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys - it really cheered me up this morning when I logged in and people had actually read and replied to me! My support network is slim to none over here so THANKS!

- I agree that they have to write it all down to cover themselves but still ... so far so good!! Mirtzapine is the same as Remeron alright ..
My appetite has increased in the short period since Friday which has been great as I'd dropped a lot of weight and am going home next week and hopefully will not be confronted by the 'emaciated Imelda' comment that I normally get from my sister.
Sleeping .. oh the joy of being able to fall asleep is just glorious even though last night was disturbed by some mad dreams. Prior to last Friday I had to take a valium or I'd be awake until 3/4 am and then have to get up at 7 am to get one of my kids to school. I experienced reverse insomnia from 2010 until mid 2012 and that was just terrible. I'd wake up at 4:30/5:00 and wouldn't be able to fall back asleep .. that absolutely wrecked me and really took its toll.
As for it kicking in for the depression side .. I know it will take a couple of weeks and I can't wait .. wish I could just sleep until then actually.
Get my son up for school and then its straight back into bed for me and I can stay there until he comes home again at 16:00 ... Can't read a book or study .. all I'm doing is watching series on the computer and writing every now and again .. I'm not me! and keep ruminating. Have any of you got that as well or is that a silly question from me? 

Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 06:29:03 AM »
after reading about the side effects I was absolutely terrified to be honest

You would be if you read a list of potential side-effects for just every drug. Side-effect lists are the drug companies 'get out of paying large compensation claims' card so they list every side-effect anyone has reported during the drug trial process, even stuff they know wasn't/couldn't be caused by the drug.

My appetite has increased in the short period since Friday which has been great as I'd dropped a lot of weight and am going home next week and hopefully will not be confronted by the 'emaciated Imelda' comment that I normally get from my sister.

Probably the most common mirtazapine side-effect is carbohydrate cravings. Some get it so bad that they literally eat sugar by the spoonful straight from the bag.

As for it kicking in for the depression side ..

Mirtazapine is the last resort drug for those so severely depressed that they are almost catatonic. If it can't pull them back from the abyss then nothing short of ECT can. So there is a good chance it will ease yours, although there is no guarantee as it is very much dependent on individual biology.

Can't read a book or study .. all I'm doing is watching series on the computer and writing every now and again .. I'm not me! and keep ruminating. Have any of you got that as well or is that a silly question from me?

I suspect it is more likely to stem from the sedation than the drug per se. That said, antidepressants can cause all manner of weirdness in the first few weeks so I might be wrong. If it persists refer it to your doctor.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Jules1963

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:35:03 AM »
Hi Ava I know exactly how you're feeling. I am sleeping well from about an hour after I take the remeron but the. I wake up early and can't go back to sleep. I have this anxious feeling in my stomach most of the time and can't usually eat much until later in the day. I have also lost weight over the past month. What dose are you on? My doctor put me on 30 mg straight from the beginning , not sure if it is right for me yet I've o my been on it for 12 days . I still feel so jittery at times and have to take Klonopin 0.25 mg I am going to have to give it more time . I wish I could stop obsessing about how I feel all day .
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ava2209

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »
***** Jules: I've read a couple of your other posts .... pfff is all I can say! I just started last Friday on the Mirtz after finally acknowledging that I needed some serious help .. I'm on 30 mgs which I take just before bed but need to take one or two valium almost every day just to take the edge away - took my first one on 28 December and prior to that had never taken even a sleeping pill never mind a benzo! There have been a couple of days that I didn't take one but then its a day spent in bed doing nothing!  .. As for the weight .. I'm about 47 kilos now and I'm eating like there is no tomorrow but not necessarily carbs ... had a quiche for breakfast this morning LOL - a definite first for me. Hang in there as there is light at the end of the tunnel ... there has to be!

Are you in therapy or seeing a pysch? I've been seeing a therapist since last March but that's been combined sessions with my son whom I'm having serious problems with and individual sessions - has helped to an extent but am going for a more intense form of psychoanalysis therapy now - being confronted by a lot of things but at this stage I don't care I will do anything to get me out of this hole I'm in for the sake of my two children and myself!

***** Ian: I've not read a book or done any of my study since before Christmas so I can't put that down to the meds .. I've always been an avid reader and now I can't even read the worst Chicklit around .. as I wrote my concentration is at zero unless I'm looking at a film and even then I tend to wander off.

Will keep you up to date with the progress and how I'm finding it ...

Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 06:35:37 AM »
One of my major loves is reading. I don't find this sort of medication effects my ability to read at all. I know we all differ. But I like to keep the mind fully active. When I am not reading I may be found online site building. Just something I do in my spare time. In certainly hasn't effected me in the same way it has you. Maybe try some lighter reading. Smaller books to begin with. To get that part of your mind active again. I also play word games. Love crosswords and the likes. I take the same 30mg.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Ava2209

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »
At Cuch ... I can't even read Marian Keyes .. now that's bad eh! I've a stack of magazines for which I've subscriptions and they're still in the plastic since December. My short term memory is shot to sh*** which is also something I've never had before. Crosswords are another love and used to even make my own using various templates ... now if I try the Irish Times simplex on line I get about 5 answers and give up whereas before I'd almost complete it ... its all fairly frustrating I have to say but keep saying to myself 'give it time it will all get better'. I fecking hope so and the quicker the better ..

Thanks for the input - every bit helps.

A
Bookmark and Share

Tags: