Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Dentist and adrenaline?  (Read 213 times)

Offline AbnormallyAnxious

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Dentist and adrenaline?
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »
I just read on article saying the shots you get at the dentist contain adrenaline. I was shocked. I never knew that. This week I went to 5 dentist appointments nonstop in a row to get my fillings done. Every day I'd march to the dentist, wait in the waiting room and enter when my name is called. Then sit on the chair with all the bravery I could manage, and get that long shiny sharp needle poked in me once again. After each shot my heart starts to pound, I begin shaking/trembling, I feel weak and I just sick altogether. I never complained to the dentist or anyone else because I was too depressed to even worry about anything anymore.

But now I guess those appointments explains why I feel so crappy this week.. o_O
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dentist and adrenaline?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:55:39 AM »
What is in the shot is epinephrine. That is exactly what you described it as. Some dentists are honest in advance of giving the shot and letting the patient know there is adrenaline in the shot. I guess others might not wish to scare people. I am sure you will be back to yourself in no time at all.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Bamboo31

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »
I have a similiar reaction-nervousness, pounding heart, shaky, etc...Next time, ask the dentist to use a local anesthetic that does not contain epinepherine. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline coeus

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
Although I don't have any problems with the dentist or concerns described above, I might add that as soon as you become hyper-vigilant and focus on nervousness and anxious sensations that arise - you'll tend to exacerbate those sensations even more. It's easier said than done but going into the dentist with an attitude of openness might help to some extent. Same goes for anything else that seems anxiety provoking.

Well, news to me that there's adrenaline in the shot haha.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: