Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: MDD with psychotic features  (Read 789 times)

Offline lcfrogs

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
MDD with psychotic features
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:44:32 PM »
Has anyone here ever been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder with Psychotic Features? If so, what were your symptoms? If you have never had it, what do you know about it?

I am asking because my therapist believes I am either OCD or experiencing MDD psychotic. Apparently people with this disorder can have obsessions and compulsions, and I am having both. I have always been aware of this disorder but never knew that much about it, so please enlighten me if you know something about it!

Also, I am already diagnosed with MDD: Recurrent and I have had it for many years.
Bookmark and Share
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

"Just breathe, it will be okay"- my best friend

<3 LC

Offline howifeel

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • Guilt is not a feeling but a verdict.
    • Poke This Member
Re: MDD with psychotic features
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:33:15 AM »
Very good question! First MDD is horrible. Very hard to endure at times. I am diagnosed with MDD. Schizoaffective d/o is a mood d/o that accompanies someone with  schizophrenic symptoms like paranoid delusions, a/h and v/h(primarily dx Schz). MDD with psychotic features is an individual who presents with all criteria for MDD with some paranoid delusions caused by the depression itself. You do not sound as if you have a/h and v/h, or delusional thinking. MDD requires regular attention to sx management.
Bookmark and Share
I do things to feel better, I don't wait to feel better to do things.

Offline lcfrogs

Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »
Well, my therapist showed me the many possible symptoms of MDD psychotic and pointed out that a lot of them fit with me.
- I am having auditory hallucinations (usually at night but sometimes during the day).
- My OCD symptoms are considered rare or unusual, and do not really have the classical fears and compulsions. Basically I am constantly hearing music in my head that I have never heard in my life. It has been lasting 24/7 for many days now and is quite debilitating. My "compulsion" is to tap on walls on furniture in repetition in order to get rid of the music and ease my anxiety...but the music comes back as soon as I stop.
- I am constantly having moments where I will suddenly realize that I have not showered or brushed my teeth in a few days.
- I am having a hard time trusting the people that normally I trust the most.
- I have been feeling very depressed and isolating
- It is extremely difficult to concentrate in school, even though I take Adderall.
- I am not suicidal but I have a strong urge to punish myself and it has caused me to self-harm.
- I am having uncontrollable crying spells.
- I have had bad insomnia for the past few weeks.
- I do not have an appetite and I am barely eating.

I have some more symptoms but I can't remember what they are at the moment (my memory really sucks lately). I do not believe I am having delusions, but I am feeling quite paranoid. I could not fall asleep last night because if I heard any little noise, it terrified me and I wasn't sure if it was real or a hallucination.
Bookmark and Share

<3 LC

Offline howifeel

Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 02:42:29 AM »
Not all psychosis is delusional thinking. My bad. A/H is a psychotic feature. The use of meds like abilify or seroquel (which I have taken both) may be applicable. Some people are too activated by abilify (like I was), and seroquel too sedating (for me the XR or XL can't remember the two letters after) was too sedating for me. So I went back to just my AD. The regular Seroquel worked well for a while, then I didn't need it anymore. Psychotic features are scary. Meds are the only thing I know that help with that. However, of course, there is a need for a multidisciplinary approach to rule out other factors, and facilitate the healing of the whole person. Recovery is totally possible with sustained effort, setbacks, followed by effort asap without feeling shame for any setbacks. Yes, of course the illness is going to say there is no hope (that's just a symptom like a runny nose is for a cold), however, there is hope for anyone. You would be amazed how many people recover with about a 50% effort. Keep coming back here to maintain perspective. I find that we are exceptionally strong people, since if "normal" people had to endure what we do, they would give up more readily. Surrender to win!
Bookmark and Share

Offline lcfrogs

Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
I was on Abilify for a long time, and I have been on Seroquel before. The Abilify did absolutely nothing, I was still miserable. Seroquel, like you said, is too sedating for me. It also causes me to have panic attacks in higher doses. I have tried multiple SSRI's and they always give me horrible side effects. Really the only meds that work for me are anti-psychotics. I took Haldol for a long time but I stopped taking it for several different reasons, which made the professionals I see very unhappy. But now since this has all happened, I started taking Haldol again a few days again. I haven't had any hallucinations in a couple of days, mostly just horrible depression. But I am trying to do some CBT in therapy. Thanks for your help!  :winking0008:

P.S. You abbreviate a lot of words and I don't know what any of them mean! lol
Bookmark and Share

<3 LC

Offline howifeel

Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 02:58:07 PM »
Sorry about the abbreviation thing. Doing this from a phone. I was on ristoril. It helped for a while. This stuff is hard. I also upset the doctors. I have been on 15+ anti depressants. I don't like ssri's. Ativan helps me, and I am on wellbutrin, which is a dopamine  rather than serotonin inhibitor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lcfrogs

Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »
and I am on wellbutrin, which is a dopamine  rather than serotonin inhibitor.

OMG, I totally forgot about wellbutrin when I saw my psych! I have never tried it before. I really hate the Haldol, but it is the only med that has worked so far. Perhaps I can ask her about wellbutrin next time I see her.
Bookmark and Share

<3 LC

Tags: