Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sleeping problems getting worse  (Read 550 times)

Offline phil_t2cs

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sleeping problems getting worse
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:52:21 AM »
Hi All,

Seriously losing my mind! I've always had problems getting over to and staying asleep but ever since i have been diagnosed with GAD/Depression it has got much much worse.

Each night i give myself a half hour before bed to relax and read a book to calm me down so i can hopefully sleep well but it doesn't work. I am convinced if i could get a couple of good nights sleep my symptoms would lessen dramatically. So much so that i have been prescribed tamazepam by the Dr but these just seem to have exacerbated the issue further.

I usually get over to sleep within an hour and get maybe 2 hours sleep after which i'm up on the hour until i just give up and come down stairs. Combine that with the never ending dread / fear / nausea and i can understand why people do comtemplated ending their own lives!

I know i'm not alone and was wondering how people that have experienced the same things got past it?

(By the way all, even posting on this site helps me somewhat so thanks for your support)  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sleeping problems getting worse
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:50:34 AM »
Hi,

I am not familiar with the drug that you are taking . . . I also have sleep issues . . . I have no problem falling asleep but staying asleep is a big problem . . . I know that some drugs do not work for some people and a quick search of the web on tamazepam does indicate that the drug could potentially intensify problems  . . . so, you may want to contact your doctor for a different medication. Also, what might be a standard dosage for one person may be too much for another . . . several years ago, while in the hospital for an operation, I took 1 Ativan of 10 mg . . . this is considered to be pretty much minimum dosage . . . yes, indeed, I slept great for 8 hours (no awakenings, no dreams that I could remember, etc.) and then I was stupid for the next 8 hours so much so that my operation was postponed . . . it turns out that, for me, the correct dosage was 5 mg . . . had a super 8 hours sleep and was fine . . . I only took the Ativan for a couple of nights which was good for me because Ativan is addictive and I get concerned over that . . . my friend who has been on Ativan for anxiety/depression to help her sleep takes only 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet . . . her doctor told her that 1/4 tablet would have absolutely no effect . . . whether it is a placebo effect or not, if she takes 1/4 Ativan she gets 8 great hours of sleep whereas before she would toss and turn for a couple of hours, sleep for a couple, toss and turn, etc. All of this to say is that the drug you are taking may not be appropriate for you so please contact your doctor.

I've mentioned my strategies before and they are not 100% successful for me but they do help . . . I do not drink caffeine beverages after mid afternoon and then I limit myself to one cup of tea a day and I go for my walk which is my exercise at least 3 hours before going to bed . . . before going to bed, on most nights I will soak in a tub of rather warm water and Epsom salts . . . .this has a relaxing impact on me . . . I do read for a while but I turn off all equipment  . .. television, computer, telephone, etc. in a dark room that is a bit cool (not freezing but not overly warm) and I start counting backwards from 1000 . . . now, not speed counting but focusing on forming each number in my mind . . . for some reason this distraction has worked . . .at least for the last four or so months . . . .I still wake up during the night but I immediately start the counting backwards from 1000 . . . .for right now, rather than waking up 4 or 5 times a night, I might wake up once or twice but go back to sleep almost immediately but I think the key is not to turn on any lights or any music or anything because this may signal the mind that it is time to wake up. . .to be honest, I can't remember getting below 950 in counting backwards . . .

Anxiety/Depression is so frustrating and defeating but the only thing you can do is keep on working on it . . . .I know that sleep makes all the difference in the world . . . may be 4 or 5 times a year, I will get 8 hours of restorative sleep without waking up and when I get up in the morning, I feel like a new person . . . .it is amazing at what sleep can do for the mind and the body . . . .

So, bottomline . . . the drug that you are taking may be intensifying your symptoms rather than helping so check with your doctor for something different . . . try as many non-med strategies as you can because some of these drugs can be addictive so ask your doctor questions . . . . and please, do come here and chat as often as you like . . . .I wish that I could help out more but if you come up with any strategies for a good night's sleep, I would love to hear about them . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrreal121

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 06:24:37 AM »
I kno exactly what you are going through.  To go to sleep for me was like running around the world twice.  I wanted to do it but my body would not alow me no matter how hard I really wanted to.  It makes u upset and feel like there is no hope.  I had to talk myself out of it.  Do something that makes me happy.  Easier said than done, trust and believe.  I can go to sleep when I want now, but I still have some symptoms of anxiety.  But I just ignore them n dont even think about them,  and they soon go away.  Once you began to do that, your sleep will be bck on track.  I hope that u recover.
Bookmark and Share

Offline let_it_go

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:05:31 PM »
4 weeks ago i was having sleep issues as well. first night i could sleep for like 30 mins and next night i slept for couple of hours but i felt even worse after that. i still kept on going to work and tried to keep myself going. the fear or the dread feeling that is causing this repeated itself after few days ..it comes and goes.
but this is not the first time i've gone through this. it has happened few times before as well...

i've realized that the more i think about this the worse it gets..but the tough part is to not think about it...

these days i am feeling much better..things have started to feel normal...

I think the real fear for me is that i'll never be normal and this feeling( or constant fear of nothing) becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...

This time i did something different by chance..i started doing "anxiety meditation" or some people calls it "mantra meditaion".
It helped me get a deep relaxation... since i was able to relax without external stimulas that gave me some confidence that i can control about how i feel..

this made a feel better because my main fear was that why i cannot feel normal, why i have constant feeling of dread or fear for no reason...

let me know if you need any details on how to meditate correctly..i can send you one web link i followed about anxiety meditation..

i wont say i feel 100% good, but atleast it has gotten me to do normal things and reduced my fear alot...
take care,
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
Alternative methods to prescription meds would be Valerian (tincture mixed with water or pill form), Benadryl or Melatonin.  None of these are addictive or dangerous.  You can't overdoes on any of them. I've done well with all of these.

Good suggestions above on preparing yourself for sleep, too.

Another good one is mugwort - used in a sort of incense burning stick.  I know - sounds weird, but it works!
Bookmark and Share

Offline geekynutcase

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
I feel your pain. It seems that no matter what I do, I can't fall asleep- and when I do, I won't stay asleep. Every little thing will wake me up.

Caffeine has a huge affect on me at night. Even when I have some caffeine drink before 630pm, I'm awake until 3 in the morning. Even when my body is absolutely exhausted, my mind won't shut off. It's like a leaky faucet- just dripping all night long. It really wrecks havoc on my body during the day. All I want to do is sleep and I have zero energy. I refer to this as my "Zombie phase." Some days are definitely better than others.

I've tried many things for sleeping- Melatonin, chamomile tea, warm milk (a suggestion from my mom), a dark room, the list goes on.

The chamomile tea really calms me down at night, but not enough to make me sleepy. I drank it 30 minutes to an hour before bed.
The warm milk gave me indigestion. (Same as the chamomile, 30 minutes to an hour)

The Melatonin, for me, has worked. However, because my body gets used to medication easily, I only take it sparingly.

I also do some meditation. I end up falling asleep before I have a chance to finish.

I hope you find a way to get some zzzzs!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ava2209

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 04:44:33 AM »
Hiya. Experienced reverse insomnia for almost 2 years .. no matter what time I fell asleep at I was awake at 4/5 am each and every morning .. had terrible problems with my stomach and was diagnosed with lactose and sugar intolerance intensified by anxiety/depression. Then about 4 months ago I started having the same as you .. could not fall asleep and when I eventually did would keep waking up - not pleasant by any means as it meant I was exhausted each and every day.
Doctor prescribed diazepam/valium for me and that certainly helped me sleep - sleep glorious sleep ... takes getting used to though and was so groggy, flat, emotionless on the stuff but that wore off after a while .. had tried the 5mg melatonin but without success. Will say try and stay away from the benzos as they can be very addictive. Now Im taking Remeron/Mirtazapine which helps both the depression and gets me to sleep each night. 

As everyone will say ... we're all different so what may work for one may be the worst thing for another.

Good luck and also hope you get some zzzzz's
Bookmark and Share

Tags: