Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attack?  (Read 348 times)

Offline Carlton91

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attack?
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
Hey all,

Yesterday I was thinking all day about a possible brain tumor. So last night I got home from work and had a shower and felt good.

So I put some tiger balm on before bed and went a layed down.

I suddenly flet very hot in th face and start to get a little dizzy, I got up and had a glass of water and watch some soccer for 20 minutes and felt ok.

I was talking to my mum and she said it could be stress from my guibea pig passing away 2 days ago. But of course I thin all this was caused beacsue of my brain tumor.

Thanks for any hep!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attack?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
That sounds like a panic attack to me, especially since it occurred when you were trying to lay down and relax. I had my first panic attack that way, laying down to bed and it was hyperventilation due to anxiety. It really doesn't sound like a brain tumor at all. Also the fact that you were thinking about it and worrying on it is producing anxiety which caused that reaction when you lay down to rest. Your face flushing hot is totally an anxiety response and the dizziness as well -- fight or flight. I think you're thinking about the idea of a brain tumor and even when you're not thinking about it, your mind is latched onto it and creating anxiety. It's background anxiety and then it expresses itself in symptoms because you're worried.

Also your guinea pig died and you may be trying to avoid feelings of grief and discomfort by transferring it into the idea of a brain tumor. It's odd how our minds work, but you may not be able to handle the feelings about your pet, and you somehow feel like you CAN handle thinking about a tumor. You sound like you're internalizing feelings and that's also causing anxiety.

Sorry about your piggie, btw. :( I hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline Carlton91

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:30:01 PM »
Thanks alot Calmy,

Deep down I know it isn't a tumor  but mu mind is a stupid thing lol

Do you have any remdies for my little head pains?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »
Do you get headaches or migraines? I get sinus migraines and pressure and I used to use earplugs which helped for a while, then guided imagery, and I use Tylenol or Advil when it's bad. I guess it depends on how your head hurts. I have had tons of head pains, all kinds from aches to sharp zings and all over the place. Do you have sinus problems? If it's a regular headache, you may need glasses and you may have eye strain (or if you read up close a lot, make sure to look away for five mins every 30 mins to rest your eyes.)
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline Carlton91

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:12:04 PM »
Nope they last 40 seconds max. Around differnet spots in my head.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »
I get pains like that I think -- does it feel like a muscle or nerve is sort of zinging in your head and it just hurts for some seconds then it's gone? I have had many of those, in different places on my head over the years and I have had brain scans in the past and I'm fine. (I had the brain scan actually because I was smelling stuff that wasn't there and that was in like 2002 and here I am over ten years later with no brain tumor.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Carlton91

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »
Yeah I can feel it in my neck.

Do you get dizzy?
Bookmark and Share

Online potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
I had a panic attack last night at precisely the moment you described.  It frequently happens when I finally lie down after a busy day and am just drifting off to sleep.  I will wake up with my chest pounding, unable to breathe, thinking that I am going to pass out.  It is really scary but I when this happens I always get up and walk around taking deep breaths to regulate my breathing.  Most importantly, I tell myself that is is only a panic attack and nothing else...everything's OK...

It has taken me 20+ years to be able to do this, but for me the self talk is the most critical part of getting through a panic attack.  I also happen to have a very understanding husband who has spent many years calming me down when this happens.  He always reminds me to breathe and it sounds simple but it works.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline Calamy

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
Potternut, I have been told that when you're trying to relax is when the anxiety sometimes likes to come out. The mind is so powerful.

Carlton, I have been dizzy in the past for a variety of reasons -- dizzy as in the world feels like it's moving, I get that with sinus problems and ear problems. Dizzy as in lightheaded yes I get that sometimes for no reason. I got it before I was on meds for my blood pressure (have yours checked, maybe it's up?). I get it sometimes due to period (that won't be your problem though haha), my anemia, hyperventilating and just plain anxiety.

I used to have dizziness as a prominent symptom of panic and anxiety so that when I was outside sometimes I had to hold onto store shelves to keep from falling over because I was sooo dizzy I couldn't move. It was anxiety and that was in the 1990's.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Carlton91

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »
Yeah  I wouldn't say dizzy, more lightheaded
Bookmark and Share

Tags: