Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: This is insane..  (Read 803 times)

Offline gcalex

• Rec's: 46
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: This is insane..
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 11:54:20 PM »
Have you read any books yet on cognitive behavioral therapy?  Did you try any of the natural treatments thought to help calm down the nervous system i previously recommended?

No I didn't I couldn't find any in my local library. What natural treatments did you recommend? I tried chamomile and ginger tea, no effect.

There are online resources, if you google CBT or even look at the stickies on top I am sure you will find some.  You might consider l-theanine, or a product called Pharma GABA, or passionflower tea.  These are stronger than chamomile.  Also ashwagandha is said to be calming but I have not tried it myself.  I would take supplemental magnesium too, most diets are deficient.  Read up on these things before you try them, they are generally considered safe but I am not in a position to give medical advice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sassparella

• Queen of Health Anxiety
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 01:54:22 AM »
Appears you're back on the heart rate issue again when you've been told over and over and over by members of the forum that it's within the normal range.

As gcalex said - what are you doing to treat your anxiety?  Forget the heart issue - I really don't think you have one either.  It's anxiety.  Sorry to be so blunt.

I'm pretty sure your resting heart rate is under 80 and is not in the 100's when you are doing something as simple as walking or walking up stairs.

80 resting heartrate is fine it comes within the 60-100 that is considered normal. Also you should factor in the fact that you are anxious and constantly checking your pulse as this puts it up anyway. To get a true resting heart rate you need to be completely relaxed. Also if you walk, especially up stairs of course it will go up and again it will go up further because you are fixating on it and taking your pulse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AbnormallyAnxious

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 02:26:41 PM »
Have you read any books yet on cognitive behavioral therapy?  Did you try any of the natural treatments thought to help calm down the nervous system i previously recommended?

No I didn't I couldn't find any in my local library. What natural treatments did you recommend? I tried chamomile and ginger tea, no effect.

There are online resources, if you google CBT or even look at the stickies on top I am sure you will find some.  You might consider l-theanine, or a product called Pharma GABA, or passionflower tea.  These are stronger than chamomile.  Also ashwagandha is said to be calming but I have not tried it myself.  I would take supplemental magnesium too, most diets are deficient.  Read up on these things before you try them, they are generally considered safe but I am not in a position to give medical advice.

I don't want to be taking any medication. I'm not sure what those things are exactly. And how can they help me? I don't get panic attacks so my mind isn't totally out of control for me to have to relax it.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »
Appears you're back on the heart rate issue again when you've been told over and over and over by members of the forum that it's within the normal range.

As gcalex said - what are you doing to treat your anxiety?  Forget the heart issue - I really don't think you have one either.  It's anxiety.  Sorry to be so blunt.

I'm pretty sure your resting heart rate is under 80 and is not in the 100's when you are doing something as simple as walking or walking up stairs.

80 resting heartrate is fine it comes within the 60-100 that is considered normal. Also you should factor in the fact that you are anxious and constantly checking your pulse as this puts it up anyway. To get a true resting heart rate you need to be completely relaxed. Also if you walk, especially up stairs of course it will go up and again it will go up further because you are fixating on it and taking your pulse.

It's hard! Just THINKING of my heart/pulse puts it up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 204
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »
you amaze me.  you ask for help then get some suggestions and then you find ways to shoot them down or not acknowledge them.

the things gcalex mentioned are herbs or vitamin type supplements.  You didn't even acknowledge the CBT things he mentioned.

none of us can do this for you.  you have to decide to do it.  you have to take the initiative to learn about these things.  NOTHING, NOTHING is going to be handed you on a silver platter and then all of a sudden your problems are solved.   

again, AGAIN, AGAIN this will take MONTHS of YOU making a commitment to getting better, using the tools over and over and expanding on them before you begin to even see the light at the end of the tunnel.   THIS isn't going to be you asking us for help/suggestions, followed by you not doing any of the suggestions and then you continuing in your reactive habits and then lamenting that you are not better.   THIS is the unhealthy cycle you are in.  We can't break that cycle.  If you don't break that cycle, it isn't going to impact our lives only yours.

Do what you KNOW you have to do.  Take responsiblity for getting better then get started with it. 

You know right now in my life I have a bowl full of rotten cherries.  My hubs has a diagnosis that we are working on addressing, my mother had a stroke and is on a ventilator and we have to decide whether to continue with the ventilator.  She is GRAVELY ill.  I mean at death's door gravely ill.  I have another daughter who needs to see a rheumatologist.  ANother child that may need testing to see why she hasn't gotten a menstrual cycle at 16.  My eldests seizures are not getting better AND dealing with lice in the house for a month now( sort of like the nastiest cherry).............    AND guess what?  I'm having all kinds of weird body sensations.  Even my right eye is giving me problems.  Most if not all of this stuff is going to end up being directly related to all of the stress I'm going through.  Luckily I can see that.  While it can be difficult,  I am not fixating on these things.  I've learned a thing or two in my years.  If I chose to, I could very easily indulge all of those symptoms, like you are doing and just end up in Catastrophicville.  But how that would help me or my husband or my mother or my children?   

How is that helping you?   The only difference between you and me is that I've learned what anxiety does to people.  I can see the triggers.  I can see the stresses.  I have chosen the proactive habits.  In your case your endlessly reinforcing your triggers and faulty thinking.  You fixate on your pulse (that is, sorry, but NORMAL)or some other heart thing and have decided it is dangerous.  You accept only what your faulty thinking tells you.  You are in the endless loop.  AND as I mentioned at the top of my post here, you discard or ignore any suggestions given you to get you better.  You seem to expect that it will go away by merely wanting it to.   But it doesn't nor will it ever work that way.

do you not think you deserve better than what you are telling yourself?
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline gcalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »
AA you aren't going to get better monitoring your pulse, writing on AZ and waiting for divine intervention.  If you WANT to get better, you are going to have to take steps, and listen to people instead of fighting everything they say to you.  It's up to you, really.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gcalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »
AA, the products I mentioned are amino acids, minerals, and herbs.  As I said, they are generally thought to be safe, but if you look them up you can learn more about them.  They MAY help you feel a little more relaxed.  By far your most important task is cognitive and behavioral work, but it may help you just to learn your body is capable of feeling a little calmer.  They are mild and may not do anything at all, I don't know.  Of the ones I mentioned passionflower is probably the strongest.  Magnesium i would take just for general health reasons.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »
Yes sixpack I know I am torturing myself and it's not right but it's hard for me dealing with all of this on my own and watching myself worsen both physically and mentally each day. You guys are the only people that are actually making an effort to help me out and I really appreciate that.
 I really want to get better and I'm ready to make a commitment. The good news is I haven't googled for nearly a month and I no longer run to the emergency room, so I guess that's a good start. What should be my next step?

& gcalax, I'll look for passionflower next time I'm in the store. Maybe I'm not relaxed at all and haven't even realized. If that's the case, calming down/relaxing will do me good in many ways.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 11:22:54 PM »
And I'd like to add regarding magnesium - not just any magnesium will do. Glycinate is good for anxiety.  Watch your dosage, as too much can cause diarrhea.

Valerian would be good to take for relaxation as well - good for sleeping, too.  I took it long ago - worked great for me when I needed it.  I used the tincture (mix with water).  Tasted gross, but I just didn't breath when I drank it. LOL
Bookmark and Share

Offline gcalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 11:35:48 PM »
AA I can assure you that if your posts are an accurate refelction you are not relaxed.  Your nervous system is amped up and this is why you are so symptomatic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 94
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 02:58:21 AM »
you amaze me.  you ask for help then get some suggestions and then you find ways to shoot them down or not acknowledge them.

the things gcalex mentioned are herbs or vitamin type supplements.  You didn't even acknowledge the CBT things he mentioned.

none of us can do this for you.  you have to decide to do it.  you have to take the initiative to learn about these things.  NOTHING, NOTHING is going to be handed you on a silver platter and then all of a sudden your problems are solved.   

again, AGAIN, AGAIN this will take MONTHS of YOU making a commitment to getting better, using the tools over and over and expanding on them before you begin to even see the light at the end of the tunnel.   THIS isn't going to be you asking us for help/suggestions, followed by you not doing any of the suggestions and then you continuing in your reactive habits and then lamenting that you are not better.   THIS is the unhealthy cycle you are in.  We can't break that cycle.  If you don't break that cycle, it isn't going to impact our lives only yours.

Do what you KNOW you have to do.  Take responsiblity for getting better then get started with it. 

You know right now in my life I have a bowl full of rotten cherries.  My hubs has a diagnosis that we are working on addressing, my mother had a stroke and is on a ventilator and we have to decide whether to continue with the ventilator.  She is GRAVELY ill.  I mean at death's door gravely ill.  I have another daughter who needs to see a rheumatologist.  ANother child that may need testing to see why she hasn't gotten a menstrual cycle at 16.  My eldests seizures are not getting better AND dealing with lice in the house for a month now( sort of like the nastiest cherry).............    AND guess what?  I'm having all kinds of weird body sensations.  Even my right eye is giving me problems.  Most if not all of this stuff is going to end up being directly related to all of the stress I'm going through.  Luckily I can see that.  While it can be difficult,  I am not fixating on these things.  I've learned a thing or two in my years.  If I chose to, I could very easily indulge all of those symptoms, like you are doing and just end up in Catastrophicville.  But how that would help me or my husband or my mother or my children?   

How is that helping you?   The only difference between you and me is that I've learned what anxiety does to people.  I can see the triggers.  I can see the stresses.  I have chosen the proactive habits.  In your case your endlessly reinforcing your triggers and faulty thinking.  You fixate on your pulse (that is, sorry, but NORMAL)or some other heart thing and have decided it is dangerous.  You accept only what your faulty thinking tells you.  You are in the endless loop.  AND as I mentioned at the top of my post here, you discard or ignore any suggestions given you to get you better.  You seem to expect that it will go away by merely wanting it to.   But it doesn't nor will it ever work that way.

do you not think you deserve better than what you are telling yourself?

Damn. And sixpack goes BOOM.

AA, while it may be true that people on the AZ are the only ones making an effort to help you, but you've got to take the straight up KNOWLEDGE being dropped by the likes of six here (and others) and ACTUALLY APPLY IT. *****, I know when I was at the height of my anxiety, I stopped at nothing to get better. Yeah I googled and the like, but I went to weekly talk therapy. I went to a fancy nutritionist and got put on a heavy regime of supplements. I went to yoga. I found a life coach. I would go get healing prayer at church every week. And more. Recovering from anxiety takes ACTION. Lots of freaking action. Pick something and start with it. Expect to not feel better right away. But keep doing it and add on to what you're doing. Over time, you'll find it loosens up.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »
How do the supplements help? And what's a life coach?

Do you have any recommendations of what I should do/start with?
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 94
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 03:43:06 PM »
1. Talk therapy
2. CBT
3. Meditation
4. Medication
5. Yoga
6. Exercise
7. Change in diet
8. Hobbies

These are just the tip of the iceberg. Don't you dare shoot all of these things down.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »
1. Talk therapy
2. CBT
3. Meditation
4. Medication
5. Yoga
6. Exercise
7. Change in diet
8. Hobbies

These are just the tip of the iceberg. Don't you dare shoot all of these things down.

1. Talk therapy
2. CBT
3. Meditation
4. Medication
5. Yoga
6. Exercise
7. Change in diet
8. Hobbies

I'll have to cross out #6 because I'm pretty sure I get enough high heart rate on a daily basis. And #7 because I already eat healthy, mostly home made food.

I'm left with;
1. Talk Therapy
2. CBT
3. Meditation
4. Medication
5. Yoga
8. Hobbies

Which one should I engage in? Which one will be most effective?
Bookmark and Share

Offline gcalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 08:51:40 PM »
 1 2 and 3 and I would not cross out exercise, in fact I would put it first.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: