Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

What are some things, activities,you have found that helps relieve your anxiety?

Offline angielee

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
I know there are many things you can do to help anxiety from becoming a full blown panic attack. Things to help yourself come down. Some things I do are

Talk myself down, tell myself what I'm experiencing is from my thoughts I will be ok lots of positive thoughts, even out loud if I feel the need.

A delibrate slow down of my breathing and movements, I tend to really speed up when I experience my anxiety. So I will focus on slow breathing and making slow movements it feels funny and sure it looks funny but I'm so focus on walking, breathing, and slow movements. I can't focus so much on my feelings lol. This works really well for me.

Listening too soothing sounds and music with eyes closed deep breathing.

Self hynosis I found this as a app on my iPad and it works really well.

If nothing else works or I'm really keyed up I go shopping lol. Even if I have no money I will go to some of my favorite stores like hobby lobby and kirklands just the sights,sounds and smells will really calm me down.

What are some other things that some of you do? I'm always looking for new ideas :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline HereIGoAgain

• Personal text
Hey! Hobby Lobby?? Sound like my sort of shop!!

It depends on hoe bad it is, sometimes I'll go for a walk but if its moderate or worse i like to do something that keeps my "google fingers" and my mind busy so I have taken up cross stitch and crochet. I am unable to worry when doing these activities as they take up all my concentration :)

I really wish relaxation worked for me but after a long time of trying I can't seem to master it :(
Bookmark and Share
It's not about weathering the storm.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline lcfrogs

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
My anxiety has been severe lately and the only distracting things I've been able to do is get on the computer or play with my iPhone. I've been spending most of my time on the couch, pretending to watch TV. I feel paralyzed with fear. When I decide to get on the computer is usually when the anxiety has died down a little, temporarily. For me, when I feel like this, the most relaxing thing is to lay in bed and wrap myself tight in a blanket. It is soothing for some reason.

I have little hobbies that I enjoy that my therapist tells me to try when I am anxious, but I have trouble getting started. When I think about doing a hobby I get more anxious and end up not doing it. I like to crochet, draw/color at my art table, write, and read...but all of those things feel absolutely impossible right now. Does anyone else get anxious by the very thought of doing a distraction?

Oh, and I love Hobby Lobby...and Jo-Ann Fabrics.
Bookmark and Share
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

"Just breathe, it will be okay"- my best friend

<3 LC

Offline angielee

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
Yea if My anxiety is really high, I pace the floor I can't sit I get that flight sensation I guess. Cause I just want to go somewhere and fast. And thinking of doing anything can make it go even higher, I guess maybe try not to get to that high of a anxiety state. When I do reach a jighbitnis very hard to come down I may stay there for a couple days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greenzebra

• Personal text
I lift weights, do some stretching/easy yoga, read calming Bible verses, or talk to a friend. (: Shopping's a fun stress/anxiety reliever when money permits, though!
Bookmark and Share