Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Klonopin not working?  (Read 603 times)

Offline lcfrogs

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Klonopin not working?
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:18:01 PM »
I recently stopped taking Haldol after taking it for a very long time because it caused me to gain a ton of weight. The Haldol was great at managing my anxiety symptoms; almost like a miracle drug...but I have a history of an eating disorder and the constant weight gain was really starting to bother me.

Since I stopped taking Haldol, I have been a horrible, anxious mess. My doctor prescribed me Effexor XR for anxiety and PRN Klonopin. With the Klonopin, I'm allowed to take up to two 0.5 tablets a day. Well, the Klonopin isn't working at all. I still feel horrible all of the time. I'm thinking about asking my doctor if I can try Ativan instead. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I've been taking at least one 0.5 mg Klonopin a day and I'm feeling more and more depressed. Do you think the Klonopin is causing the depression or the excessive anxiety?
Bookmark and Share
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

"Just breathe, it will be okay"- my best friend

<3 LC

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonopin not working?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:28:16 PM »
I recently stopped taking Haldol after taking it for a very long time because it caused me to gain a ton of weight. The Haldol was great at managing my anxiety symptoms; almost like a miracle drug..

You were taking Haldol for anxiety? Why?

Also, I've been taking at least one 0.5 mg Klonopin a day and I'm feeling more and more depressed. Do you think the Klonopin is causing the depression or the excessive anxiety?

The depression, quite possibly, the anxiety, almost certainly not. Your heightened anxiety is much more likely to be from the Effexor. Most antidepressants will increase anxiety initially. It is a product of the extra serotonin in the synapses. Despite the popular belief, serotonin isn't the "feel good" neurotransmitter. However, after a few weeks this causes a reduction in both serotonin synthesis and expression and anxiety levels should begin to diminish. You'll probably need to take the full 1mg/day of Klonopin until it does.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline lcfrogs

Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
I recently stopped taking Haldol after taking it for a very long time because it caused me to gain a ton of weight. The Haldol was great at managing my anxiety symptoms; almost like a miracle drug..

You were taking Haldol for anxiety? Why?

SSRI's don't work for me; they make me more anxious and depressed. Antipsychotics, for whatever reason, seem to help my anxiety the most but I have a history of noncompliance because I'm afraid of the weight gain. So we are trying an SNRI and see what that does. I have no idea why Haldol helped me so much, but on it I was much less anxious and I was never depressed.
Bookmark and Share

<3 LC

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »
SSRI's don't work for me; they make me more anxious and depressed.

So what about SNRIs and tricyclics?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline lcfrogs

Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 06:14:21 AM »
SSRI's don't work for me; they make me more anxious and depressed.

So what about SNRIs and tricyclics?

Ian

Never tried any tricyclics, but I just started taking an SNRI. How long does it take to start working, if it does? I'm an anxious wreck.
Bookmark and Share

<3 LC

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 06:40:59 AM »
Never tried any tricyclics, but I just started taking an SNRI.

So your doctor put you on Haldol without first trying a SNRI or TCA? Hmmmm!

How long does it take to start working, if it does? I'm an anxious wreck.

Anywhere from 3-12 weeks on a therapeutic dose, which for Effexor is usually at least 75mg/day.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline lcfrogs

Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
Okay, I just started 75 mg the other day. I don't think I can last 3-12 weeks! I have to go back to school next week and I don't know how I'm going to handle it!

I was a patient at a treatment center for eating disorders, and the doctors there are big on prescribing antipsychotics...I've been on all sorts of them. I think initially I was put on an antipsychotic with an SSRI to treat my MDD, I believe it was Prozac and Zyprexa. Well the Prozac was interacting with my Adderall so I stopped taking that, but stayed on Zyprexa a little longer until I couldn't take the weight gain anymore. In the past I've been misdiagnosed with Bipolar and Schizophrenia, so when I came to this last treatment center they suspected that I had schizotypal personality disorder which might explain the antipsychotics. Turns out I don't have that disorder but the antipsychotics have proven to help with my anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

<3 LC

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Okay, I just started 75 mg the other day. I don't think I can last 3-12 weeks! I have to go back to school next week and I don't know how I'm going to handle it!

Have you taken 1mg of Klonopin yet? If so, did it make a difference?

the antipsychotics have proven to help with my anxiety.

They are often very effective, but they can cause serious long term complications. Unfortunately, they are the only effective treatment for some disorders, but, IMHO, shouldn't be prescribed for those that usually respond just as well to less potentially harmful drugs. Certainly, they should never be the first option tried.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline lcfrogs

Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 05:52:09 AM »

Have you taken 1mg of Klonopin yet? If so, did it make a difference?

Yes, I took 1 mg yesterday. It definitely doesn't do anything. I'm thinking about asking to try Ativan.

the antipsychotics have proven to help with my anxiety.

They are often very effective, but they can cause serious long term complications. Unfortunately, they are the only effective treatment for some disorders, but, IMHO, shouldn't be prescribed for those that usually respond just as well to less potentially harmful drugs. Certainly, they should never be the first option tried.

Ian

Good point. I knew Haldol was a very potent drug while I was taking it, but I didn't think about it much further because it was helping me so much. But now I need to lose weight thanks to it.
Bookmark and Share

<3 LC

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:13:58 AM »
I knew Haldol was a very potent drug while I was taking it, but I didn't think about it much further because it was helping me so much. But now I need to lose weight thanks to it.

The weight gain pales compared to some of the potential problems you could be facing, some of which continue long after the drug is discontinued, especially Tardive dyskinesia which is quite common, over 40% in some patient groups. Given how devastating the psychotic disorders can be the risks may be acceptable...just, but not for anxiety.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline lcfrogs

Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »
I was aware of the Tardive dyskinesia but never developed it. I do think the Haldol caused me to lose my menstrual cycle. Other than that and weight gain, no other symptoms. Thanks for all your help. The klonopin makes me a little drowsy a couple of hours after taking it, but the anxiety doesn't subside so I can't fall asleep. I'm hoping I might have better luck with Ativan, if I can get it prescribed to me.
Bookmark and Share

<3 LC

Offline laineyk

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »
I am having the same problem with klonopin....it worked when I 1st started taking it but now it does squat!!!  actually the morning dose has absolutely no effect on me at all.

for instance I took 1mg this morning & was a wreck the entire day?  I did up my progesterone last night. other then that havent changed anything else. I am increasing my zoloft and already know that brings on added anxiety but this is ridiculous, I am a mess 75% of the day.

Not sure if its having a paradoxyl effect or not, when I take it in the evening it doesnt do this to me.

I was taking .5mg am   .25mg   afternoon  .5mgs bedtime....so have started trying to wean down to just 1mg a day (when I started taking it back in June 2012, .25 once or twice a day worked perfect)
not sure if I should go back to xanax until the zoloft takes effect,,,thats if it ever does....nut Im right there with you I am an anxious wreck. havent been able to work since the end of November!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: