Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Excellent (modern) series on Scottish history.  (Read 1004 times)

Offline GenSec

• Rec's: 56
    • Poke This Member
Re: Excellent (modern) series on Scottish history.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
Thank you, GenSec! I will be checking that out for sure! How do you know all of this? More importantly...how do you remember it all?! I'm impressed, and I have to admit, envious. I'm glad you're willing to share your knowledge though!

I know Sir Walter Raleigh! Studied his poetry in university!  :happy0151: So excited I recognized his name.

I thought it took a really long time for everyone to realize just how bad tobacco was, didn't it? I seem to recall hearing people in the 1920s still thought it was harmless, but I could be wrong there.

Hi CN,

Well, i have always led a pretty uneventful boring life, so i've had plenty of time to indulge my interest in History by reading this, reading that, reading and more reading! :laugh3: From an early age i was encouraged to read... it kept me quiet.

There's nothing for you to feel envious of - after all you have a raft of pretty impressive talents yourself that i couldn't equal. :winking0008:

I knew Raleigh had an inquisitive mind and even whilst confined in the Tower of London he continued to conduct little scientific experiments: but i didn't know he wrote poetry! Thats where your talent for literature comes in. :yes: Again, another of your talents that i'm totally bereft of!

I don't know about the USA but in Britain it was only by about i think the 1950's that the science proving its harmfulness to human health was beyond doubt. Even then smoking continued to be hugely popular. Virtually all men smoked, it was a fact of life. None of my parents ever smoked but both of their sets of parents did. Nowadays in Britain more women than men continue to smoke; in contrast to all other social categories in society, smoking rates have even risen slightly amongst young women in recent years. When i was at university alot of young women smoked because they had this belief that it prevented them from getting fat, seriously.

You better watch out if you happen to be invited for lunch in a castle. Try and find lunch elsewhere. Much safer, even if less luxurious. And if Oliver can't speak the truth about James, what's the point? I'd give Oliver a warm, fluffy shampoo and layered hair cut. Then maybe he'd give us the truth.

Sure I keep banging my head against the closet door. "Out, out," I say. Let's be honest and live as nature intended. No smoking either, no slaves, no inequality, a bit of ale now and then.

Ben Franklin gave us libraries, the greatest gift of all.

I'll raise a glass to your suggestion of a bit of ale every now and then, ha ha! :happy0180:

Tina, by the sounds of it you must have watched episode 4 yesterday did you? :winking0008: Yes, an invitation to lunch with the King was not a prospect to consider with relish, lol! :laugh3:

Time and again in Scottish history, all the men seem to be easily offended and have short tempers... that reflects so well on us, eh? ::)

You sound like a protestor with your "out, out!" chant, ha ha. :laugh3: I'm afraid in James's day coming out was not an option. :angry-smiley-034: It was unthinkable. Nevertheless, i can imagine you banging your head against the oak doors of Holyrood Palace tormenting poor James with your ever constant "out, out" chant. :traurig001:  Oliver more than likely doesn't consider the sexuality of James to be important to the national history of Scotland. And you're not accusing Oliver of being gay now because of his hair, are you?! :fragend005: :laugh3: The poor guy.

Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »
Sure I watched. Otherwise how would I know that if you happen to be a MacDonald and a Stuart invites you to lunch, watch out. Wear your iron mask and bring a hatchet. As if England was not enough, they had to hack each other up. I don't care what Oliver is, probably straight. We need royalty. Sir Elton John is not enough. We need Kings and they were there to pave the way for others. Read a piece in the Guardian by Patrick Strudwick about Jodie Foster's speech at the Golden Globes, and you can see what I mean.

Now we know you like to read, GS. How about something a little more cheerful such as Death of Ivan Ilych or The Kreutzer Sonata (Tolstoy) or The Lady with the Toy Dog (Chekhov), all short stories available from inexpensive Dover Publication? Just some pleasant thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »
Sure I watched. Otherwise how would I know that if you happen to be a MacDonald and a Stuart invites you to lunch, watch out. Wear your iron mask and bring a hatchet. As if England was not enough, they had to hack each other up. I don't care what Oliver is, probably straight. We need royalty. Sir Elton John is not enough. We need Kings and they were there to pave the way for others. Read a piece in the Guardian by Patrick Strudwick about Jodie Foster's speech at the Golden Globes, and you can see what I mean.

Now we know you like to read, GS. How about something a little more cheerful such as Death of Ivan Ilych or The Kreutzer Sonata (Tolstoy) or The Lady with the Toy Dog (Chekhov), all short stories available from inexpensive Dover Publication? Just some pleasant thoughts.

Yeah we sure have a long history of hacking away at ourselves! Often in Scottish society a sense of being wronged or insulted by someone was remembered and carried on down the successive generations of a family, resulting in centuries old clan/family feuds. Forgiving and forgetting were never strong points. :laugh3:

Oliver seems very guarded about his personal life, but today a sibling a relative of mine assured me that he is married.

As for royalty, i don't want a gay nor a straight royal - i want the whole lot of them abolished! Privileged scroungers. No no, we need no Kings! And these silly aristocratic, elitist, archaic 'Sir' titles need to be given the heave-ho too! :yes: The Americans have the right idea.

Thanks for the book title suggestion Tina. However, i cannot say fiction has ever really appealed to me... i never end up finishing even the shortest of them, lol. :winking0008: I'll stick to movies, thanks!

Regards,
James.

Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 09:13:21 AM »
No forgiving and forgetting, that's sad. And you are stuck with the royals, as another one is in the making. Frankly, I don't think their lives are any better. You could not give me their life. The first thing I'd do is get rid of all the "help." I like my privacy. No titles either.

The visual vs. book matter is interesting. I grew up on one book, no visuals. Saw my first movie at about 13. And look at what has happened now? Good Grief. Everyone is looking at screens all the time while I'm fairly free to do as I please.

The Chekhov story might be right up your romantic alley and maybe all the other romantics here. It's a charmer. Just a thought.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 12:44:55 PM »
Their lives aren't any better are they? Yeah, thats what they like us to think. A life of unearned, undeserved privilege must be so soul destroying, eh? :laugh3: Such a hard life to have to endure, i'm sure. One wonder's why they don't just abdicate and free themselves from all that stress. ::)

Sorry Tina, but despite your kind efforts you're wasting your time trying to broaden my mental horizons with literature recommendations, lol! :laugh3: You'd probably have more luck discussing classic pieces of literature by the likes of authors like Tolstoy, Chekov and Dostoevsky with ClassicNerd!

Yes, i remember the story of your first book that you carried everywhere... a little German language poem/storybook wasn't it? :winking0008: Think you may have quoted a little bit of it from memory to me in original German once opon a time. Very sweet, very sentimental, ha ha.

Regards,
Gen. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline ClassicNerd

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 08:03:21 PM »
Yeah! I love Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and Chekhov! I wish I knew Russian so I could read their works in the language they were originally written in!  ;D

Hey, GenSec - I personally wish I read less fiction, and more factual stuff. All that fiction I'm reading is warping my mind! lol! And I'd love to be able to impress people with my knowledge of real life things...just once!

As for talents, I'm still trying to figure out how you remember all of this stuff.

In the USA, it looks like they've got a whole different breed of royalty: the celebrities. Blegh. I feel the same way about them as GenSec feels about the royals (a group I'm also not fond of). One could argue that some celebrities at least sort of earn their fame through their talents.
Bookmark and Share
“I am an old man and I have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened” -  Mark Twain

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »
Yes, celebrities, or sports figures, or the tech magicians. Ugh. If the royals or wealth mongers freed themselves of that life of pretense, they could not survive. Bertie Wooster, for example, depended regularly on his butler Jeeves to save him from trouble such as matrimony, brats, or pets (PG Wodehouse). Well, GS, if you happen to visit here, not only would you be strapped in for The Tales of Hoffmann, but a few tales from the masters as well. To relieve the despair there might be a small glass of ale.

Shock-headed Peter (Der Struwwelpeter) is no collection of sweet stories. It starts off with an unstoppable thumb sucker (like me in the past) who gets his thumb cut off. Other such fun tales follow. These are tales to enforce safety, manners, hygiene. Kaspar, who refuses to eat his soup ends up with his soup on top of his grave. A few charming tales for little children. They still scare me. Is my hair combed? Nails cut? Playing with matches? Fidgeting at the table? Walking with head in the air not paying attention?

The English translation  of Der Struwwelpeter is awful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 09:53:08 AM »
Yeah! I love Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and Chekhov! I wish I knew Russian so I could read their works in the language they were originally written in!  ;D

I tried learning Russian once during my days at university. I ended up not even managing to successful complete the introductory course! :( Then again, i failed French and German at school so it would seem foreign languages are most definitely not my thing. ::)

Well, GS, if you happen to visit here, not only would you be strapped in for The Tales of Hoffmann, but a few tales from the masters as well. To relieve the despair there might be a small glass of ale.

No no no, no Tales of Hoffman for me! Absolutely not! :angry-smiley-034: I couldn't even do that for you Tina, sorry! :laugh3: I caught the beginning of that on tv not long ago and there's no way i could sit through the whole of that. You couldn't pay me!

Poor Tina, even your very first book wasn't that sweet. :sad0126:

So, how far into this Scottish history series have you ladies got so far? :winking0008:

Regards,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ClassicNerd

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 01:30:43 PM »

I tried learning Russian once during my days at university. I ended up not even managing to successful complete the introductory course! :( Then again, i failed French and German at school so it would seem foreign languages are most definitely not my thing. ::)

I can one up you here. I failed French, and Spanish. In Spanish class in university I joined a study group with two native Spanish speakers, and I invested in a tutor. I don't think foreign languages are my thing either GenSec. I want to try the Rosetta Stone method, but I don't want to pay all that money for something that may not yield results. Strangely, I have no issues learning computer langauges.

I'm working on episode 3! It's slow going due to our choppy internet connection. My parents are hogging all the badwidth with Netflix! lol! Looking for the DVDs for region 1 DVD players. The region 2 DVDs are reasonably priced.

You know, it's funny (and I'm going to show my ignorance here) but a lot of things in Scottish history (the pictii, especially) I always more or less thought of as belonging to Irish history.  :-*  Whoops!
Bookmark and Share
“I am an old man and I have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened” -  Mark Twain

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
So no Tales, full of dance and romance for you, while history in all its gore is for us? What if I danced to the song of Olympia? If I could I'd post that link. Can you do it? Take it from The Tales with Moira Shearer and love besotted Hoffmann (The 1951 movie)?

Oh well, I'll put on my armor and march on to Episode 5 though probably not today. How bloody is it anyway? For relief I'll dance to Olympia.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 10:14:55 AM »
I can one up you here. I failed French, and Spanish. In Spanish class in university I joined a study group with two native Spanish speakers, and I invested in a tutor. I don't think foreign languages are my thing either GenSec. I want to try the Rosetta Stone method, but I don't want to pay all that money for something that may not yield results. Strangely, I have no issues learning computer langauges.

I'm working on episode 3! It's slow going due to our choppy internet connection. My parents are hogging all the badwidth with Netflix! lol! Looking for the DVDs for region 1 DVD players. The region 2 DVDs are reasonably priced.

You know, it's funny (and I'm going to show my ignorance here) but a lot of things in Scottish history (the pictii, especially) I always more or less thought of as belonging to Irish history.  :-*  Whoops!

I gave up on foreign languages after the Russian debacle, lol! :laugh3:

Yes, alot of things traditional to Scotland and its culture have been shall we say "appropriated" by Irish sympathisers over time. This is particularly true in the USA; partly by accident i think, seems as Scots and Irish are supposed to all be "celtic" and therefore everything to do with them is interchangeable, and partly by design. I see New York pipe bands on television claiming to be "traditionally Irish" and i look at their style of bagpipes, tartan and general attire and think "nope, that Scottish". There's no doubt in my mind some groups out there have deliberately and knowingly pillaged Scottish culture for their own ends in the USA over the decades.

Online, i've spoken to many Americans who ask if i am "Scotch Irish" like its a nationality. In many universities today, the topic of Scottish history comes under "Scots-Irish studies". One lady in a chatroom once responded to my assertion that i was Scottish by saying "scratch the surface of every Scotsman and you'll find an Irishman"! :fragend005: Well, i'm Scottish and i have absolutely no links whatsoever to Ireland or anything related to it!

Where i live in Scotland, Irish influence is negligable. During the 19th century our immigrant labour came from the Highlands of Scotland, not Ireland. The religious sectarian divide that you see in places like Glasgow does not exist here. In fact the most well known piece of history between the Scots of my region and the Irish was in the 17th century when a predominantly Irish Royalist army attacked the town (The Battle of Justice Mill) in 1644 then went on to rape, burn and pillage their way through it in an orgy of violence for 3 days. Even for its time the act was shockingly brutal and barbaric, particularly when you consider that the city had no real defending army to speak of. Yet the town inhabitants knew what was coming their way... the reputation of the approaching army preceded it (lets just say its soldiers didn't have a reputation for being a good Christian bunch). The town council held a debate to decide what course of action to take to the approaching threat. If it had been any other army it probably would have just surrendered the town (as some present indeed still wanted to do regardless). I think re-enactments have sometimes been made of the battle: the debate itself is certainly re-enacted in the old Town House.

So no Tales, full of dance and romance for you, while history in all its gore is for us? What if I danced to the song of Olympia? If I could I'd post that link. Can you do it? Take it from The Tales with Moira Shearer and love besotted Hoffmann (The 1951 movie)?

Oh well, I'll put on my armor and march on to Episode 5 though probably not today. How bloody is it anyway? For relief I'll dance to Olympia.

Its just not my kind of movie, Tina. :winking0008: I did try to enjoy it- oh how i did try, ha ha. :laugh3:

I did try to find the song Olympia on youtube, but from the 1951 movie alone i kept finding different scenes all claiming to be "Olympia" so i was confused as to what i was actually supposed to be looking for. Its like there is an entire part of the movie called Olympia with songs in it. Very confusing.

Go on then, put on your armour and brave that final episode! :laugh3:

Regards,
Gen.

Bookmark and Share

Offline helplessdancer

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »
Thanks for posting this GenSec, it looks really interesting! About to watch part 1, but not sure I should while I'm eating dinner  as I suspect it will be rather bloody  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
Can't give up......yet. It could be Part 2 but it is the longest, taking about 15 minutes.

So Part 3 will do, almost 12 minutes. Is that too long? Hoffmann is in love and the tune and song are repeated. Fakery is uncovered, as much can be in life and love. Poor Hoffmann, duped again and again.

Oh well, sure enjoyed seeing and hearing it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »
Thanks for posting this GenSec, it looks really interesting! About to watch part 1, but not sure I should while I'm eating dinner  as I suspect it will be rather bloody  :laugh3:

Hi, kind thanks! :winking0008: Really, its ok i assure you its fine to watch whilst eating, lol! :laugh3: This is a BBC production so you can safely assume that its nicely sanitised.

Can't give up......yet. It could be Part 2 but it is the longest, taking about 15 minutes.

So Part 3 will do, almost 12 minutes. Is that too long? Hoffmann is in love and the tune and song are repeated. Fakery is uncovered, as much can be in life and love. Poor Hoffmann, duped again and again.

Oh well, sure enjoyed seeing and hearing it.

Yes Tina, fakery. Being duped by the promised allure of love to suit some concealed selfish purpose of another. A common theme when it comes to love. To a certain extent it crawls out from underneath its rock even in many a friendship too... can you perhaps tell i'm a cynic? :traurig001: Ha ha!

As for love, i've led an easier life since giving up the search for it: actively avoid it now, have done so for years. In my experience it just isn't worth it. Does Hoffmann ever learn the hard way to shoo it away too, or does he keep going back for more? Dare i ask? There's only so long a wise person will allow themselves to be burnt again before calling it a day i say, lol! :laugh3:

Actually, how does the movie end Tina?

Kind regards,
Gen.

Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
Sorry, GS, there is no happy ending which is mostly true in opera. I first saw the movie when I was 14 and was so taken with it. Never forgot it. Maybe I understood, even then, that there are no happy endings. There is only longing, fantasy, imagination. There may be moments and we can make the best of them. Otherwise, we can learn to be our own best friend, rely on ourselves. Moments with others can be found but do they last? Sometimes they actually do endure.

To get onto a cheerier path I'll try and watch Episode 5 as soon as I manage some time. There is no way I know to break it up. Also, I'll need to put on my helmet and bullet proof vest.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: