Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Severe Agoraphobia Paralyzing Me  (Read 474 times)

Offline BobIndy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Severe Agoraphobia Paralyzing Me
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
I am not accustomed to talking about my feelings so this is rather hard for me, but here goes, I am struggling with severe agoraphobia and while I am usually okay with people I know and feel safe with, it is awful for me to have to interact with new people or those I don't know. I just feel really scared and break out in cold sweats when that happens. I am at the point where I am avoiding going to the mall or job interviews or even bars because I am so terrified of new people and getting a panic attack. I also suffer from SEVERE claustrophobia and will not take elevators unless someone is with me or it is absoultely necessary. I am sick of living like this but I am scared of medication too. What can I do? I can't keep living like this. I am not depressed, but my anxiety really plays bad tricks on me, keeping me isolated in "safe" situations which usually means home. When I have a job interview to go on, my heart races, my palms sweat, and I feel like I am going to pass out. I have to try and force myself not to talk too fast. Sometimes, when I feel really backed into a corner, I even blush and I can feel my face turning red and hot and I just want to die right then and there from embarrassment. I am also an openly gay male in a rather conservative state, so I always feel asl if people are going to be judging me regardless. Is there any hope for helping this? I am so scared of medication, and have never seen a psychiatrist. I called one the other day to try and make an appointment, but she said to call back at the end of this month because they are so booked. In the mean time, I have some zoloft that was prescribed for me but I am scared to continue it because it gave me serious insomnia and night jitters. I am thinking of asking my doc to try a different medication that is a bit sleep-friendlier, perhaps Prozac or Paxil. I just want to beat this!
Bookmark and Share

Offline A_ISRLguy

• Poke This Member
Re: Severe Agoraphobia Paralyzing Me
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
I feel your pain bob. my GP suggested that i will still go out the house to places to avoid agoraphobia, because im starting to show signs of it. as if my body is scared of the outside.
she also suggested BioFeedback and CBT treatment, which she said is known to show results with these conditions. from reading around i can say i see that drugs work as long as you take them, and their effect is lost
when the treatment stop. not the case with BioFeedback or CBT, so im going to start them next week and have my first session, hoping for the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline theguy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Severe Agoraphobia Paralyzing Me
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:53:22 PM »
"I want to beat this"......great statement and a good start.

does the zoloft help with your anxiety and panick though eventhough you have a little harder time sleeping.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything