Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: need opinion and reassurance I guess  (Read 440 times)

Offline Jono77

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
need opinion and reassurance I guess
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »
Hi my name is Simone, I wrote here a while ago about having what I thought may be pure O and some of my symptoms, but it's got more distressing...
I'm seeing a psychiatrist next month but I thought I would write as it would be good to talk about how I'm feeling before I go to the doc.
I'm 35 and was diagnosed with depression when I was 16, I thought that was all I had but as the years have gone by I've come to realise that a big cause of my depression were thoughts I'd have.
The earliest I recall was when I was 17 and I had this really strong urge to hit my friend, it shocked and scared me, I also used to worry that I might hurt a child, I remember the thoughts going over and over in my head 'what if I want to abuse a child?" and it would horrify me.
over the years I've also had thoughts stick in a loop, things like "why are we here? why do humans look the way they do? why do we have interests and emotions? why do I think someones attractive? arn't eyes and noses very strange things, are our features actually really bizarre?"  I'll think on these things for what seems morning till I go to bed, I search the web for answers and feel relief but then I think on them again the next day.
The worst thing though is I have two nephews, aged one and two, I've never had the urge to have children but I do love kids and when my nephews were born I was so proud! I love them more than anything and they are my pride and joy. I live in Alberta, Canada and they are in Saskatoon so I take a 8 hour bus ride to see them every couple of months. and spend a few days with them, we play and do crafts and have so much fun. but when I'm with them, thoughts pop in my head like "what if I cut them', what if I beat them?" and even more graphic violent thoughts,   I was kissing his cheek and had the urge to bite, horrible violent thoughts, just typing this to you makes me emotional and sad, it feels like a strong urge, like an itch, and I think "what if I just do it?" then I imagine, the after effects, the anguish of it, I look at pictures of them when I get home and it breaks my heart to think of anything happening to them, but when I'm with them, these feelings come back strong, I want to enjoy every minute I have with the boys because I don't get to see them all the time, I phone them often and *****, and I think the proudest thing in my life is being their auntie.
I was reading a blog and someone was saying that people do give in to impulses when it comes to say, "if I dont wash my hands I'll get sick" and they wash their hands over and over, I worry when I have the urge to harm and what if I gave in to the impulse, is that the same as giving in to say washing your hands, or turning the light off and on. I'm not a violent person, I've never even been in a physical fight, I do like zombie movies and scary films but like I say, the ones with zombies, the fantasy horror, I can't watch films with child abuse, rape...

I've not been diagnosed with Pure O, I did see a psychiatrist about a year ago and asked if I could have a form of OCD as I didn't have any physical things I did, but I had obsessive thoughts, she said "oh no, if you had OCD you'd be washing your hands constantly or something like that"

So I suppose writing to you, I'm just asking do you think it sounds like Pure O? am I crazy? I know I'm distressed, I work at a library, in the childrens section doing storytime and other programs and find thoughts take up so much of my time, it's hard to focus on my projects, if it's not the violent thoughts it's the ones about "why do we have feelings? why do we have skin and not fur?" very random stuff that I know logically isn't important. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: need opinion and reassurance I guess
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:21:32 AM »
Hey Simone, you're not alone with those pure o thoughts.  I often have the existential questions of the meaning of life and why we do what we do and what is the purpose of everything... They are pretty annoying and can certainly run you into the ground.  Furthermore I have the violent thoughts, thoughts of harming loved ones etc etc I've even had and occasionally get self harm thoughts... It seems each day is a new one and presents a new "me vs. my thoughts". I find this forum very helpful and I see a therapist who is very open, he helps me doing exposure to my obsessive thoughts.... Just know you're not alone and reach out if you need we're all here for each other.
Bookmark and Share
He who fears death cannot enjoy life

My anxiety blog: http://pippy187.wordpress.com/

Offline EclecticJoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:48:30 AM »
Hi my name is Simone, I wrote here a while ago about having what I thought may be pure O and some of my symptoms, but it's got more distressing...
I'm seeing a psychiatrist next month but I thought I would write as it would be good to talk about how I'm feeling before I go to the doc.
I'm 35 and was diagnosed with depression when I was 16, I thought that was all I had but as the years have gone by I've come to realise that a big cause of my depression were thoughts I'd have.
The earliest I recall was when I was 17 and I had this really strong urge to hit my friend, it shocked and scared me, I also used to worry that I might hurt a child, I remember the thoughts going over and over in my head 'what if I want to abuse a child?" and it would horrify me.
over the years I've also had thoughts stick in a loop, things like "why are we here? why do humans look the way they do? why do we have interests and emotions? why do I think someones attractive? arn't eyes and noses very strange things, are our features actually really bizarre?"  I'll think on these things for what seems morning till I go to bed, I search the web for answers and feel relief but then I think on them again the next day.
The worst thing though is I have two nephews, aged one and two, I've never had the urge to have children but I do love kids and when my nephews were born I was so proud! I love them more than anything and they are my pride and joy. I live in Alberta, Canada and they are in Saskatoon so I take a 8 hour bus ride to see them every couple of months. and spend a few days with them, we play and do crafts and have so much fun. but when I'm with them, thoughts pop in my head like "what if I cut them', what if I beat them?" and even more graphic violent thoughts,   I was kissing his cheek and had the urge to bite, horrible violent thoughts, just typing this to you makes me emotional and sad, it feels like a strong urge, like an itch, and I think "what if I just do it?" then I imagine, the after effects, the anguish of it, I look at pictures of them when I get home and it breaks my heart to think of anything happening to them, but when I'm with them, these feelings come back strong, I want to enjoy every minute I have with the boys because I don't get to see them all the time, I phone them often and 0366, and I think the proudest thing in my life is being their auntie.
I was reading a blog and someone was saying that people do give in to impulses when it comes to say, "if I dont wash my hands I'll get sick" and they wash their hands over and over, I worry when I have the urge to harm and what if I gave in to the impulse, is that the same as giving in to say washing your hands, or turning the light off and on. I'm not a violent person, I've never even been in a physical fight, I do like zombie movies and scary films but like I say, the ones with zombies, the fantasy horror, I can't watch films with child abuse, rape...

I've not been diagnosed with Pure O, I did see a psychiatrist about a year ago and asked if I could have a form of OCD as I didn't have any physical things I did, but I had obsessive thoughts, she said "oh no, if you had OCD you'd be washing your hands constantly or something like that"

So I suppose writing to you, I'm just asking do you think it sounds like Pure O? am I crazy? I know I'm distressed, I work at a library, in the childrens section doing storytime and other programs and find thoughts take up so much of my time, it's hard to focus on my projects, if it's not the violent thoughts it's the ones about "why do we have feelings? why do we have skin and not fur?" very random stuff that I know logically isn't important. :(

1. Fire your psychiatrist;
2. You sound clearly like Pure O;
3. Look up existential intrusive thoughts and see if that fits you.

I have been going through this for a year. My thoughts morph from fear of self harm to going crazy to point/purpose of life. I am on meds but they only blunt the symptoms, not eliminate them. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
EclecticJoe,

May I ask what you take?
Bookmark and Share

Offline EclecticJoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:29:05 PM »
I take low doses of Lexapro and Lamictal. Also, Xanax .5 PRN.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jono77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »
Thanks everyone :) I'm seeing a new psychiatrist mid February, so I'm hoping she'll be able to give me some help.
EclecticJoe I will take you up on your offer to talk more, it's such a relief being able to speak about this with people, I know my friends and family care and are there for me but I couldn't tell them about the thoughts without them finding it very disturbing I think, just as I do!
and thank you Pippy, it is a relief to know I'm not alone:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »
I hope you find some relief  and the your appointment goes well! :)  I myself am in the hole today ugh  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jono77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad day :(, it's strange how suddenly a thought will pop up at the strangest time and the anxiety comes flooding back. I actually caught myself having a good day yesterday and realized that I didn't feel any knots in my stomach and it was such a nice feeling,  I've been going back to that feeling today whenever I start to go down that path, it helps a bit.
Bookmark and Share