Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sudden loss of alcohol tolerance?  (Read 567 times)

Offline nhguy24

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sudden loss of alcohol tolerance?
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:21 PM »
My GAD and health anxiety started after a relatively nasty ear infection. I went on antibiotics and stopped drinking for a while. A buddy had his 21st birthday and we went to the bar. After 1 beer, I felt pretty buzzed as if I had 3-4. The next weekend, I went to a wedding. After half a beer, I felt the same way with added lightheadedness, headache, and nausea. This was about 2 months ago and I've been afraid to drink ever since. I'm now on lexapro, so it would be a bad idea anyways.

My question isn't whether or not I should drink. I'm more afraid that this suggests a bigger underlying problem. Does anyone have any ideas? For reference, I'm 22 6ft 180lbs. Before these problems started I was able to drink 6-8 beers and feel pretty good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline howahkan

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Hungry
    Hungry
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sudden loss of alcohol tolerance?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:22:32 PM »
My question isn't whether or not I should drink.

Don't drink. Some people get very sensitive to alcohol, especially if you are on any medications.

After half a beer, I felt the same way with added lightheadedness, headache, and nausea. This was about 2 months ago and I've been afraid to drink ever since. I'm now on lexapro, so it would be a bad idea anyways.

See, don't drink. LOL, your lexapro doesn't like it.
Bookmark and Share
Blessed Be.

Offline nhguy24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »
But could it signal something more serious? This happened before I went on lex.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ClassicNerd

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 10:50:25 PM »
Many things can affect your alcohol tolerance, such as how much you've eaten and how fast you drink. I've had four glasses of wine in one night without so much as a buzz because I drank with plenty of food very slowly. And I've had a half a glass of wine without any food, chugged back in less than five minutes get me tipsy. I think if you go for a while without drinking your alcohol tolerance decerases, too.

Be careful with your meds, because I have heard anxiety meds lower your alcohol tolerance. I don't think it's anything serious.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
“I am an old man and I have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened” -  Mark Twain

Offline tjd_45

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 05:09:26 AM »
You do mention that you went off it for a period of time before this happened. Over the years i have gone through periods when i will stop drinking for a number of weeks or months. During this time my tolerance levels will drop and when i restart it takes much less alcohol to make me drunk. This is purely natural and would occur with other substances as well. I went off caffine for 3 months once and the first cup of coffee i had after that had my completely wired for hours. I think its perfectly natural that your body will react with less alcohol after a period of abstaining from it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: