Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I'm losing it....  (Read 589 times)

Offline Cara1989

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm losing it....
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 05:56:25 PM »
I feel the exact same way...I feel like im detatched from myself :( i feel like i have no control of my body sigh ive been trying so hard to keep my head up i look back to when i was normal and think how did i do that? =/
Bookmark and Share

Offline JKD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »
Sorry to hear you're still not feeling great.

I think part of the problem here might be your thinking about the past and describing it as "normal" and comparing it to the present, then projecting it into the future, further creating problems for you in the here and now as it makes you feel hopeless. This probably doesn't sound like news to you but believe me, there IS a way to manage all this over-thinking - ultimately you're experiencing all these horrible physical symptoms of anxiety and your mind is trying to get a grasp on it, to "solve" the problem, by comparing it to past events and trying to figure out how you got here and what to do in the future etc, but all this just perpetuates the problem (in fact you could argue it creates it). Can i suggest some books/cd's for you? (i know you have limited time being a student but they really will help)?

1) "Mindfulness: an Introduction to Finding peace in a frantic world" - Danny Penman (This book helps you to recognise anxiety as just a miscommunication between body & mind and guides you through practices to let go of the worries, fears and horrible thoughts attached to it)

2) "The Power of Now" - Eckhart Tolle (helps you to recognise the future and past as just projections of your mind and brings you back to the only moment that we ever really have, which is THIS one - this literally dissolves anxiety because you realise that the past is just a memory and the future hasn't been given to you yet - the only moment you ever have to take care of is right here, right now, whatever you're doing and wherever you are.)

3) Mindfulness for Beginners (CD) - Jon Kabat-Zinn (The first CD explains what Mindfulness is and brings comfort as it teaches you how to adopt a more compassionate and accepting approach towards yourself, the second CD guides you through meditation practices. I was dubious when this was first suggested to me as I thought it would be a generic "spiritual healing" guide or something but it has genuinely brought me complete peace in some of my darkest times, I still listen to it now and again to remind myself that I can regain control should my mind wander and keep going through the same old anxious thought spirals that used to bring me so much pain and distress.)

There are also some posts I think you would find helpful - in fact I would recommend you do this before anything else! I'm not sure how to attach them here but PLEASE read past posts by lapallyoga - this person genuinely understands anxiety and has managed to fully recover, I would recommend anyone who suffers from anxiety, depression or related issues reads his posts, he has managed to find a way to describe his recovery process in a very clear and concise way.

Please keep us updated, and know you are most definitely not alone. x
Bookmark and Share

Offline JKD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
Apologies - the user's name is lapallyloga - I misspelt it above... x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Freaked out

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 12:41:43 AM »
I I feel the same! I'm always scared I'm having a heart attack an know one understands
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »
#1 you are not alone, more than half the world has your EXACT same problems and if they say they don;t than they are lying. I work in healthcare, i see it every day, and anxiety manifests itself in many different ways. It just feels wrong because it's considered taboo to talk about it or admit you have a problem. So being that you feel in such despair I think it is REALLY important you talk to a mental health professional right away. You want to stop this before your thoughts get the best of you and you spiral down in to a worse depression or start exhibiting agoraphobic tendencies which are hard to break. That's just my experience.
With me, when i get anxiety, i tend to get weird health problems, nausea, diarrhea, swollen lymph nodes, aches and pains, fatigue, headaches, i even get ocular migraines. I have fear of the unknown, and i think of What if scenarios such as what if i have a panic attack in public. What will everyone think, will they laugh at me, or just pass judgement and deem me crazy? The funny thing is that all this goes on in my head, but no one thinks anything is wrong, so i am really good at hiding it and pretending too be strong when inside i am dying. I am on my 12th day of zoloft 50 mg and these feelings are starting to go away, i still have them, but i can rationally think them out and stay more calm. I do have to say the first 2 weeks (but are getting better now) caused major increased anxiety and nausea really bad (i lost like 15 lbs) but it is working because i am getting my appetite back and feeling more calm. The only problem i have now is when i first wake up in the morning with a speeding pulse, but i know that will stop too. (this is my second time on zoloft).
Some things that help me, is breathing. When you feel an attack, inhale deeply through your nose. Imagine your lungs fully filling up with air. Hold it 5 seconds, then exhale through your mouth. Repeat for 5 or 10 minutes. Also, keep a worry journal. Write down your fears throughout the day and designate a 20 minute time period where you can sit down and reflect upon your fears. Each time you get a worry, just write it down, and say i am allowed to worry and have run-on thoughts but not until my designated time period. Also, it's important, even though you don't feel like it, to keep going out and remain active so you can prove to yourself you will be fine in public. Also, no caffeine, that speeds up your heart rate and can cause a panic attack. Hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline cheeseflavoredpudding

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Anxiety is part of creativity, the need to get som
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 09:06:20 PM »
You literally described me! I have the SAME EXACT symptoms as you! I go to a therapist and work on EMDR as well as hypnotherapy for my symptoms. I was skeptical at first, i thought hypnosis was just mumbojumbo but it is all very scientific and has done wonders for me. Unfortunately, I am experiencing problems with my meds right now and the symptoms are back and ten times worse. You are so not alone, even when you feel that you are, know you are not. This too shall pass. We are in the same boat and school was really hard for me to go back to after break as well. i had to leave and go home "sick" because I was too anxious to stay. I take the days one class at a time and don't worry about the people noticing you shake. They have no idea what you go through so don't even give them the time of day. I really hope you get through this rough patch, just know that you have support.
Bookmark and Share
:)

Tags:

anything