Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: re-feeding syndrome  (Read 261 times)

Offline Jimboe88

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
re-feeding syndrome
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:16:08 AM »
has anyone else ever worried about this? i have been having some ocd problems where i am afraid to eat anything because i think it has lsd in it. I dont think anyone is out to get me i just feel like some jerk at a factory

or restuarant would think it was funny to mess with a stranger. Ive lost about 40 pounds in the last 4 months for the last month or more my calorie intake has been probably less than 1000 a day i have been trying to

eat more and more im still around 1000 but im having a lot of fears about re-feeding syndrome i googled like an idiot. So i could use some comfort i keep checking my pulse, looking at my hands to see if they are shaking

and things like that. has anyone else ever worried about this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline seychelles311

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: re-feeding syndrome
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:37:18 AM »
Hello!  As an ex-anorexic and someone who also currently has an atypical eating disorder, I may be able to give you a little input on this.  I struggled with anorexia for almost 12 years, and it landed me in the hospital more than once.  I currently suffer from a phobia of food induced anaphylaxis, and struggle to maintain a healthy weight due to my severely restricted diet (I am afraid I'll be allergic to almost everything).  I am currently receiving psychiatric treatment for my condition, and I recommend you do the same.   

I can tell you that the only time you would have to worry about refeeding syndrome, from what I understand, is when you are hospitalized for malnourishment and attempts are made to artificially refeed you, the patient via the delivery of glucose, either enterally (by way of your intestines) or parenterally (infusion / injection).  If you were to be hospitalized for being malnourished, and if this were to happen, it is very treatable if identified quickly, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.  Also, even though you've lost a lot of weight and have only been eating around 1,000 calories for the last month, that doesn't necessarily mean that you're malnourished to such a severe degree that you would experience refeeding syndrome upon increasing your caloric intake.  This would depend on your weight, height, age, general health, etc. 

I would highly recommend seeing both a physician and a psychiatrist for your condition ASAP!  Eating disorders are nothing to play around with, and they are a very serious business.  They can be life threatening and can cause a myriad of health problems in addition to refeeding syndrome.  I wish you the best of luck in getting the treatment that you need.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: