Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: when it rains it pours at my house  (Read 2577 times)

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 204
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
when it rains it pours at my house
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:29:49 PM »
could use some good thoughts coming my mom's way.

my nephew arrived home this afternoon to find my mom sitting oddly at the kitchen table.  She had all the signs of stroke---inability to talk, drooping face and side.  My nephew called 911.  EMTs immediately suspected stroke.  It was confirmed at the ER.  I live in NY.  She lives in TX with my sister. My mom is 76 and she has had numerous health issues over the last few years including lung cancer and lymph node that was cancerous not to mention advanced RA. 

We are still waiting to hear results of CTscans and other dx testing.  I did speak to my sister about three hrs ago now.  My mom is coming out of it a bit.  My sister can understand her speech a bit more.  My mom doesn't remember anything that happened.  Hopefully we'll know more definitive information by morning.  Then we'll make decision about going to see her. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline kmwondering

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: when it rains it pours at my house
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »
Oh I'm so, so sorry to read this. Good thoughts for you and yours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SighNoMore

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:47:04 PM »
Oh sixpack I am so sorry!! Please keep us posted. Praying for you all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:51:38 PM »
thanks

I mean my hubs has his health issue.  My youngest needs to see a rheumy.  then my bro in law calls this afternoon tell me this.   THEN,  THEN I check my daughter's hair ( we--well several of us in the clan had lice two weeks ago) for lice.  and damn it if I didn't find some more.  So I had to check other kids and my own.  Luckily it was just the one this time.   Sent hubs out for more lice shampoo and I treated three of my kids again. .  I'm still up at this hour getting some of the bedding washed.  I know it is common to have this happen again.  but damn. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »
I hope everything turns out okay for you. Good thoughts for your family.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 09:17:28 AM »
Good thoughts your way sixpack.  My mother has had mini strokes on and off over the last few years and they can be scary.  As for the lice, oh my daughter has had her fair share.  Best of luck and keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gcalex

• Rec's: 46
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
Yikes.  Best wishes for getting through all these things. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »
thanks calex.

it will be an emotional challenge. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your mother. I know what you mean when you say when it rains, it pours.
In 2012 this has happened to me:

I go to the ER with an equilibrium issue.
My daughter is rushed to the ER with a kidney stone.
One of our pets die.
My mother dies.
My father goes into a nursing home.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »
As if the basic stress of the holidays isn't enough ..... I send strength and comfort to you and your family.

Hang in there, nowhere to go but up, right?  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 08:31:57 AM »
thank you for the kind replies.

we have some updates on mom.

her right leg is functioning a bit better.  her right arm is lagging behind but a bit of function started returning yesterday.   The neuro told my sister that my mom had a significant stroke, likely caused by her recently dx'd a fib.  I'm not sure if throwing clots a usual issue with a fib?  It may have more to do with the combo of issues my mom has AND that she is 76 and not in good health to begin with.  Doc told my sis that brains swell after strokes and peaks at 72hrs.  Often stroke patients will have more difficulty at this time.  In my mom's case, since she has some brain atrophy--due to her age and some early dementia---that brain swelling shouldn't be a big problem.  I know this sounds horrid BUT my sister and I took a gallows type laugh at this:    we were saying "oh yea Mom's brain atrophy (which was noted 3 or 4yrs ago) is a bonus cuz there is room in the skull to accomodate the swelling.  Yay Mom!".   I mean talk about finding a silver lining  ::)

Doc also said my mom has "aspirated pneumonia" in her right lung.  She probably aspirated food during the stroke.  The doc said this is very common with stroke patients.  Right now they are watching to see if she can clear it on her own.  If not, she'll have surgery on Monday.  So another watching thing.  THIS is scariest to me as my grandmother died from complications of that.  In her case though, she wasn't in the hospital and it must have been more severe.

Doc says she'll be in the hospital for about a month for rehab.  As long as the pneumonia doesn't turn into something BIG and she remains stable, I'll probably fly out in a couple of weeks and visit with her.
Bookmark and Share

Offline All1Spirit

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
My mother had 8 strokes - the first one was so severe she could not move or talk. With therapy she was able to be backin her home alone and drive her car again. Healing continues for a year or more

Dont give up hope - strokes seem worst at first
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 08:49:56 AM »
My mother had 8 strokes - the first one was so severe she could not move or talk. With therapy she was able to be backin her home alone and drive her car again. Healing continues for a year or more

Dont give up hope - strokes seem worst at first

wow 8.  I'm glad your mom was able to get good quality of life back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ClassicNerd

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
Sorry to hear this sixpack! I hope everything turns out all right. It sounds like your mom is a fighter! This is a scary and unpleasant thing to deal with over the holidays, but it sounds like you have a very close knit and optimistic family to help cope with it all.
Bookmark and Share
“I am an old man and I have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened” -  Mark Twain

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
Whew, SP, what a mass of issues. So Sorry. But maybe it is time for me to come out of my stroke closet. Had one just 2 years ago. Refused to go anywhere because of my near daily knowledge of what happened to my brother with stroke(s).

She seems to have had a left hemisphere incident affecting right side, like mine, like my brother's. But, I tell you, I am a fierce fighter which, in my mind, is key to stroke recovery. The brain is miraculous in its efforts to compensate and heal itself. Patience and time and steady encouragement for her to get her will going to fight all damage is necessary. Do not get discouraged, it can and does get better.   
Bookmark and Share

Tags: