Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: More Rabies Fears  (Read 392 times)

Offline seychelles311

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
More Rabies Fears
« on: December 28, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »
I, like many others on this forum, struggle with a fear of rabies on and off.  Mine all started when I was giving one of my cats medication and it bit me (because I stuck my finger down its throat).  My cats are strictly indoors, and have never left the house, so for a long time I didn't have them vaccinated for rabies.  When I got bitten by one of them, I automatically feared the worst because they hadn't been vaccinated.  After I was bitten, I called the CDC and they told me about the 10 day quarantine rule:

As the rabies virus multiplies in the brain, it travels to the saliva of the animal.  At this time your pet is able to spread the disease.  Research has shown that once the rabies virus is in the saliva of your pet, the animal
will be sick, show signs of rabies, or die within 10 days.  Therefore if your animal remains entirely well for 10 days, the rabies virus was not in the saliva at the time of the bite or scratch.  There would be no risk to the
injured party.

So, after 10 days of my cat showing no signs of illness, I got over my fear.  Also, about a week ago I finally got my cat vaccinated, just to be safe. 

Well, last night I found a large lump on my cat's back and I'm super worried that it's some kind of animal bite.  Even though they don't go outside, could it be a mouse or rat that I don't know is in my apartment?  Does anyone know how likely it is for mice or rats to carry the virus?  I live in Portland, OR, so I'm in the city and not the wilderness or anything.  I don't know what the risk of rabies is where I live or how to find out, but now I'm worried my cat somehow contracted the virus and my HA is making me super freaked out! 

It's so frustrating cuz I've actually been doing really well with my anxiety recently (practicing CBT and mindfulness), and the only phobia I really still struggle with is my fear of anaphylactic shock.  I thought I was completely over my fear of rabies and now its back!  Does anyone here know if I'm at risk based on the events I wrote about in this post?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Library girl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: More Rabies Fears
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
Mice and rats don't really get rabies--they are so small, that if they get bitten by a rabid animal, they usually just die from the attack.  How old is your cat?  It kind of sounds like it might have a benign fatty tumor--animals get th all the time when they are older.
Bookmark and Share

Offline seychelles311

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:02:55 PM »
Really?  My cat is 7 years old, and she's overweight.  Maybe that is what it is!  Thanks for letting me know about the mice / rats.  I don't think there are any in our apartment, but it's good to know that if there were, I wouldn't really have to worry.  I made an appointment with my vet to get the cat's lump checked out, but we can't get in until January 7th, so I'll just keep an eye on her until then. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Library girl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »
Glad I could ease your worrying a little!  There are a bunch of reasons a cat might have a lump, so I am glad you're having it checked out.  But I definitely don't think mouse bites are one of them :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline AbyssusAbyssum

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »
Just commenting to note that if your cat is drinking water, she's not suffering from rabies (good news!)- rabies's distinctive symptom is hydrophobia- and to say, my family's first cat had a couple odd lumps here and there: totally benign. Our family dog, who just recently died, also had a huge lump on his back for the last two years of his life- probably about six inches across and ten inches long. It was baffling and scared us, but after getting it checked out the vet concluded it was a benign tumor and told us operating to remove it was riskier than letting it hang out.

I hope this gives you a little solace.
Bookmark and Share

Offline seychelles311

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »
Thank you so much abyssus!  This info definitely helped me to feel better about things.  As far as I can tell, my cat is drinking plenty of water, so that's a good sign.  I'm really looking forward to our vet appointment, but this definitely eases my anxiety until then.  Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Don't worry I have the fear of Rabies too!! I've gotten bitten by three mice 7 years ago and I assure you that they RARELY carry the virus because the bite from a racoon or some other large animal would most likely kill them and they would die so quickly from the virus since they're so small. I'm still alive and I went to a doc in August and they said that Rabies is so rare in little things like chipmunks, mice, and rats. As for your cat I think any animal would get pissed off by having a finger/s down their throat, no wonder it bit you!!! Please awnser My awnser under Rabies fear.
Smalm
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline seychelles311

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 12:44:20 AM »
Thank you so much smalm!  I feel better knowing that small animals don't really carry the disease.  I will read your post as well, I didn't even realize we have virtually the same fear!  I don't wish it upon anyone but it's nice to know someone else feels the same way, if you know what I mean.  Thank you to everyone who's responded so far.  You are all so supportive.  It's wonderful to have this community as a resource.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
you're welcome, I got so scared that I had Rabies (since it's been four weeks) since the incidint, that I contacted the CDC and other online rescources and I am now happy to say that it was all my anxiety, My anxiety's gone, and I MEAN IT, GONE I'm drinking like three cups of tea a day and that's helping me, Hope you find a way to treat your anxiety (hope not with drugs :sick0002:). Good luck, and yes I agree this is a good online community full of people all looking for the same thing, help. I found this website in the summer while looking up anxiety, Rabies and stuff like that, this place's great!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline tnlady10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
This was a fear that I had after being nipped by a friend's puppy that was too small to have had any shots. I finally got over it after the dog was fine after a year.  ::)
Try to relax...if kitty's fine, I'm sure you are too!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: