Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Great Video on Overcoming Panic Disorder & Agoraphobia!!  (Read 1091 times)

Offline BellaLuna

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Great Video on Overcoming Panic Disorder & Agoraphobia!!
« on: December 21, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I came across this video and find it to be one of the most comprehensive videos I have seen on panic disorder and agoraphobia. It helped to reinforce so much I learned from my CBT sessions long ago. It's long (about 45 minutes) and a little old school but worth the time in my opinion. Hope it helps!!

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?feature=related&v=6ppCH2J9x5g

Take Care,
BellaLuna  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
"Panic is a sudden desertion of us, and a going over to the enemy of our imagination". ~Christian Nevell Bovee

Offline cutecat25

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
Re: Great Video on Overcoming Panic Disorder & Agoraphobia!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:09:23 AM »
Thanks for sharing :happy0151:
Lol when they were showing that panicky, dizxy view of the person walking around the shopping centre, that was exactly how it feels when i leave the house!
I think cbt is defintly  the next step for me!

Bookmark and Share
Check out my Anxiety And Depression Youtube Channel:

http://youtu.be/yohg_juVlZg

Offline JustWant2bWell

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »
Thoughtful share.  Ty.

It was comforting to see rl people who pinpointed and knew exact panic attack symptoms and feelings, in that it showed us who suffer from them currently that we truly are not alone.  A frustrating misconception with topics like these is that there are numerous other posts and threads from ppl who claim they have panic disorder and coming from true, real-life suffers of it to them... unless you can relate to a video like this, no, you do not have panic disorder.  You most likely are fortunate enough to have his kid brother (anxiety disorder), which is still an awful problem, and I empathize nonetheless.

Both dr.'s provided useful info, perhaps more in favor of the female dr, and to take the time to find such an excellent vid for ppl who suffer from the disorder and share was admirable.

(Take this final conclusion with a grain of salt) But what gets me is when the male dr practically starts off with stating 'the attacks cannot hurt you.'  Well, to the sufferer, (even my doctor tried to tell me they cannot hurt you) that only creates instantaneous frustration and/or hopelessness to be told 'nah, nothing really life threatening happened to you.  It was all your imagination.  Your hyperventilation, smothering, sense of impending doom, pounding heart, asphyxiation... it was all normal and actually healthy for ya. U didn't know??' And it is beyond me why doctors whom have never experienced an attack in their lives and only read about them in a book to finish school, can sit back and say so easily and frequently "it cannot hurt you."  ...As if that helps the sufferer have any justification or sympathy for what they just went through or are currently going thru x_x  The reality is it causes some ppl to off themselves, it completely takes the sufferer out of reality and zaps people psychologically, a LOT, breaking them down into hopelessness, unwillingness to endure another episode of utter impending doom, or any number of things that indeed Do hurt/break down the individual, both during the attack as well as in the aftermath.  Bad attacks can leave people detached from reality for days, even weeks. 

Sorry the latter was venting, PD is a very disturbing topic.

Thanks again for the share.
Bookmark and Share
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Offline BellaLuna

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:32:28 PM »
I understand your frustration as I have been dealing with panic disorder for over three years. I also have health anxiety so a part of me is reassured when a doctor or therapist explains to me that although these attacks feel beyond terrible they can not really hurt you. This knowledge has allowed me to not panic as badly as I once used to. A year ago, I even called 911 thinking I was for sure having a heart attack and I lived in constant fear of these attacks. They still freak me out from time to time but I am getting better and using the tools I learned from my CBT therapist to not add to the initial panic.

I am glad you found some of this video helpful and trust me I also don't agree 100% with everything that was discussed (mainly about medication) since panic disorder and its effects vary from person to person. Take care and hope we all find some lasting peace from this condition soon! Xx

-BellaLuna
Bookmark and Share
"Panic is a sudden desertion of us, and a going over to the enemy of our imagination". ~Christian Nevell Bovee

Offline dragonspitt

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 12:16:16 AM »
Very good video clear message and very helpful. Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kristee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »
Could someone please share the name of the video on youtube? I clicked the link and the video was not to be found on the topic. Thank you. (Hoping the video is still there).
Bookmark and Share

Offline BellaLuna

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »
Hi! If you type in "overcoming panic and agoraphobia" onto the youtube search bar it is the first video that pops up. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kristee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
Thank you. I did find this to be a very good video and learned some beneficial tools.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Holly

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing :happy0151:
Lol when they were showing that panicky, dizxy view of the person walking around the shopping centre, that was exactly how it feels when i leave the house!
I think cbt is defintly  the next step for me!

When i click the link..it  don't show up?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
I think this is the new link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ppCH2J9x5g

Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline Billie

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
I'll have to check this out from my computer later.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rogue-Fire

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 01:51:06 AM »
Thank you for sharing this :) it helps to know how we can manage our conditions by learning about them.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: