Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Two Months Sober and Bored.  (Read 2269 times)

Offline MyMiddleNameisHypo

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Two Months Sober and Bored.
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:05:44 AM »
I don't expect anyone to respond to this, it is really just a small rant by yours truly.  ;D

Background:
I started drinking in March 2008. Vodka was my thing. I loved it and I drank a LOT of it. I binge drank everything Thursday, Friday and Saturday. My dad died in January 2009 from alcohol related problems. This scared me into sobriety. I was sober for a little over a year. I began drinking again in May 2010 after a severe relapse of depression and anxiety caused by my dad's death. This time it was Wine. I was going through 6-8 bottles a week. This time I was drinking everyday. But for once, I was happy. Stress, anxiety and depression free. I did this until October 2012 when I decided to quit due to ANOTHER anxiety/depression relapse.

Now:
I have been sober for 2 months now. I am miserable, bored, severely anxious and depressed. My nights are nothing but anxiety filled and my weekends are boring. I miss the wine. I miss being drunk. I miss the way the alcohol took all of my problems away - even if it was just for a couple hours. Alcohol made me confident and carefree. My mouth still waters when I think about wine....which is nearly every single day. 

Future:
I hope within time my alcohol addiction will all just be a thing in the past. I hope I will learn to be happy, outgoing and depression/anxiety free without it. Most of all, I hope I never go back to drinking. I never want to have to stop again.
Bookmark and Share
Don't ever put a question mark where God has put a period.  - Joel Osteen

"Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."  NKJV, Isaiah 41:10

Offline camel

• Rec's: 83
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Two Months Sober and Bored.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »
For me (and I have a few posts about it) I got to the point of absolutely hating alcohol. I had to make a choice, have anxiety the next day and keep drinking, or get off the alcohol and get my anxiety under control.
I have read in almost all anxiety books that you will not get your anxiety under control while having an alcohol dependancy.

Sorry I don't have more helpful info, but try your absolute best to stay off it. For us anxiety sufferers it is just not worth it :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline summerbreezy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:15:17 AM »
eeeeeek the boring life of a sober person does suck im going through the same thing.  Nothing seems fun or exciting anymore..... i feel ur pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline camel

Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:04:23 AM »
I am at 9 months sober and I am loving it. Parties are not boring, life is not boring.. Keep it up guys it gets so much better
Bookmark and Share

Offline angielee

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 11:03:40 AM »
I have experienced a time where I drank too much loved the made me feel. But after experiencing some hypoglycemia a day after it scared me into quitting. I would focus on what is really bothering you the alcohol is a cover up. Fix what's broken learn to talk positive to yourself. You can do it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jwall378

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »
I've been sober for 6 years now. You need to keep busy. Do you go to AA or any other 12 step meetings? I've found that AA is great place to meet new people with the same types of issues we deal with. A lot of people in recovery also deal with anxiety/depression (like myself). Once I started talking to people, got a sponsor, and got involved, it took my mind off of the anxiety a little bit.
Bookmark and Share
The more we think about things, the worse they get.

"Don't worry, about a thing. 'Cause every little thing's gonna be alright"-Bob Marley

Offline UnderControl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 02:20:40 AM »
Getting drunk is fun. A glass of good red wine is one of life's pleasures. And beer Mmmm. I suppose I could be classed as alcohol dependent, as I would happily drink 4-8 standard drinks every night, if I could. But waking up with a headache and dry mouth every morning isn't much fun. The physiological effects of hitting it hard WILL catch up with you, as I know you are well aware.

Try filling that empty void with something else. Exercise is great. keeps you fit, boosts endorphins and compensates partially, for over indulging. It can be as simple as a 30 minute walk. Or a bike ride, swim, jog, whatever. There is no better drug free remedy for depression and anxiety. Start slowly, choose something you enjoy and make it an habitual part of your life. It will keep you off the piss for longer. 

A mate of mine started building timber furniture in his garage, to keep him off the drink for a few hours. He'd then have a couple of beers only, and call it a night.

Sure AA is always an option, but those guys are kind of all - or - nothing. You label yourself as an alcoholic, and you make a commitment to never drink again. Maybe try some balance in your life first ?? :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline MyMiddleNameisHypo

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
Well I am now 4 months sober. I still miss wine, especially when I go out dancing but I hold myself over with water or Sprite.  :spineyes:

The thing I miss is alcohol's ability to make me "sociable". I am a very shy person. I have found that without alcohol I cannot even go out on the dance floor in fear that everyone is starring at me - or making fun of me. I hope that one day I can get to the point where I am able to open up naturally.
Bookmark and Share
Don't ever put a question mark where God has put a period.  - Joel Osteen

"Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."  NKJV, Isaiah 41:10

Offline camel

Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 12:49:59 PM »
Good for you Middle

Keep it up. It will be the best thing, you will see. It just takes some time
Bookmark and Share

Tags: