Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: job seeker but scared  (Read 296 times)

Offline Ginger79

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
job seeker but scared
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »
10 months ago I had to quite my job because of my panic attacks. I was a Vet Tech for 7 years before that day. I now need a job and I am scared to death I am going to end up in the same postion. Any advice that can be giving would be get! If anyone had the same problem i would be greatful to know i'm not the only one who has gone through this.

Thanks in advance
ginger79
Bookmark and Share
Ginger79

Offline Panic321

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: job seeker but scared
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 12:57:45 AM »
Iím actually looking for a job myself, so I canít really give you advice on what to do because I haven't had much success with finding a job yet. However, I can definitely relate to your situation. I always get panic attacks when Iím in large buildings and in situations that I canít escape from quickly if needed. Obviously that makes finding a job very difficult because it narrows my list of job possibilities. It is a tough situation for sure.

Sorry I couldnít be more helpful to you, but I do understand what you are going through. Hopefully we will both find a job that we are comfortable with. Best of luck to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ginger79

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 06:48:24 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing. I was beginning to think I was just crazy. I loved working with animal and was the boarding manager the last year. Now I am kinda scared to go back to that environment. ::) but best of luck to you. And thank you again it really ment a lot that you replied.
Bookmark and Share
Ginger79

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »
Now I am kinda scared to go back to that environment.  but best of luck to you.

Do you think that environment triggered your panic disorder, or are you concerned that being in a similar situation will act as a constant reminder of what happened?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Ginger79

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »
Good question Ian. I never really thought of it that way... I guess I would have to say being in the same situation. I loved what I did. I was able to do everyones job but the docs. I was actually in school studying for my VTNE but dropped out since then. 
Bookmark and Share
Ginger79

Offline Peterjr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 08:05:35 AM »
I know only too well this feeling, and your are not alone. I have suffered Anxiety attacks, and agoraphobia on and off for 20 years or more. I had a job until 3 years ago when I was made redundant after 10 years in the same job, the fact that I lived where I worked helped a great deal, it was like my home, my safety net. After this period I had an interview for a job, and before, during and after the interview I had panic attacks, it was awful. I got the job, it wasn't far from where I lived about 5 minutes walk or so, but every day I was there I had panic attacks, I worked in a kitchen as a chef, so felt when I was there I couldn't escape, because sometimes it was just me working - it truly was awful, it made me very depressed and my anxiety worse I just didn't realize how difficult it was to work again. I had to leave the job, I felt like the anxiety had really beaten me, it was a very sad time, I remember going to church one day in tears, and just asking God, if he was there, and why is this happening to me, if life is going to be like this, then I didn't want it. I was arguing with my partner, as she just didn't understand what I was going through, and thought I was just being silly, that also makes it so much worse when people are so unsympathetic toward you, I was literally at the end. I split with my partner, and moved a few hours away back home, it was hard but I got over it. I got another job, but this time I took it slow, and got a menial job, something that had no real responsibility, and part time, to ease myself back. When suffering from this abhorrent, and destructive disease, you have to literally rehabilitate yourself from scratch, and fight it, I never fought it before, I allowed it to consume me, but now I am more clever, Yes I still suffer, but inch by inch I am regaining ground. Take your time, do something that is not stressful, or with to much responsibility, something you can manage, start of part time, Something close to home if you can, you still will feel anxious, I did, it didn't just go away, but it wasn't nearly as bad as before.

The best of luck, and believe me, there are many of us like you, we are not weirdo's or odd bods, we are just suffering from an illness, that is no mean feat to overcome.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ginger79

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »
Thank you for sharing. It's very nice not to be alone. I have tried getting a small job part time but everyone turns me down because I have no experience other then veterinary. If drives me nuts and I know it has to be irritating for him even though he says otherwise. I hope after christmas I might have better luck. Thank you so much again.
Bookmark and Share
Ginger79

Tags: