Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Does any one else have vision probs?? Convinced brain tumour  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Hayley2405

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does any one else have vision probs?? Convinced brain tumour
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »
Hi all, I'm having a hellish time atm with my anxiety, it's all because of my vision. It first started with me obsessing over it and now it's awful, first off it started with a eye floater, then I started getting neon flashes in my eyes, if I look at the sky I see lots of glittery things darting around, I also am very sensitive to light an get ghosting vision and after images not forgetting static vision at times!! I've had a eye test which came back fine, been to docs several times and they're drumming it down to anxiety!! Surely this can't be possible?? I'm driving myself mad by thinking of a brain tumour!!! What is happening??? ;( replies would be much appreciated!! Xxx
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does any one else have vision probs?? Convinced brain tumour
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:22:54 AM »
your post, respectfully, indicates, to me, that you don't have much of an understanding of 1. what floaters are 2, what anxiety does to people 3. that peeps all of the time have blips in the screen regarding body aches/pains and it not mean anything dire.  Our bodies are not swiss watches  AND finally 4. how brain tumors manifest themselves in the body (ie where it is located will tell the type of initial symptoms--one being that only one side of the body is affected especially in the beginning.).

My sis and dad had brain tumors.  NOTHING you are talking about is anything that happened to them...  AND they had tumors in different areas of the brain, different type of tumors and different outcomes.

What proactive steps are you taking to work on your anxiety disorder?

Below is a link to my blatherings about anxiety etc.  Please have a read.

Actually it is my second response on that thread that I am referring to.   

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,62866.msg363567.html#msg363567
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline sarah3

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:42:53 PM »
Yes I've had these exact vision problems in the past few months. I convinced myself I had a brain tumor or a detached retina. I went to the eye doctor, he told me my eyes looked great and that my optic nerve would be swollen if it was neurological. He told me to not worry about it. Since then the vision problems have decreased although a few pesky floaters are still there. My mom had a brain tumor when I was kid; she had different vision problems. She also severe loss of balance... and very very slurred speech. She was diagnosed through an eye exam.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hton24

• ~hypo~
  • Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
I have horrible vision,floater sensitive to light .. It's anxiety not a brain tumor....
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »
I have all of the vision problems you described. The reality of the situation is that none of these symptoms are true vision problems at all. They are all completely normal and everyone experiences them. We are just way more hyper vigilante and focus on all of these thing making them problematic for ourselves.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline Happy

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »
I'm an eye doctor!  I can assure you these are normal!  Floaters are benign (little proteins floating in the jelly substance that fills your eye:).  And the neon flashed and static vision are due to ocular migraines.  Basically an eye phenomenon that is totally benign, not painful and can be absolutely caused by anxiety.  No worries friend:) Your eyes are perfect:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hayley2405

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 05:32:30 AM »
Thanks guys this makes me feel so much better its such a bugger this health anxiety, im feeling a lot better! Just hve to overcome this vision prob and accept that it's normal and I'm having ocular migraines- but when it happens everyday it's kinda hard to understand and accept....!! Xxx
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hayley2405

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:28:42 AM »
Can you get ocular migraines everyday?? X
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »
imo that would be unusual.   I only get two or three times a year.

the thing you described in your original post  (the looking in the sky thing) is not congruent with ocular migraines.  It is more congruent with an amped up nervous system reacting out of stress.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline sixpack

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:01:33 PM »
common eye symptoms are (and there can be variations on these):

Sight (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with sight):
**Distorted, foggy, or blurred vision
**Dry, watery or itchy eyes
**Eye tricks, seeing things our of the corner of your eye that isnít there, stars, flashes :

You may see stars or movements out of the corner of your eyes that don't exist. You may also see flashing lights in your eyes or your vision may seem almost kaleidoscope-like. Sometimes you may feel that there is a dark object or something just on the outside edge of your vision, or that your vision is narrowing.

**Eyes sensitive to light
**Spots in the vision
**Flashing lights when eyes are closed
**Your depth perception feels wrong

bottom line is that you are allowing your anxious over thinking to run you to Catastrophicville.  Anxiety and stress causes all kinds of mayhem in the body.  As long as people hone in on those bodily reactions and make them into something that they are not---ie brain tumor or cancer or rabies....--- the symptoms will only intensify.  Once a person logically and emotionally accepts that anxiety is not just anxiety and sees it for the serious disorder that it IS and then starts the long process of recovery, then healing begins.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hayley2405

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
Thank you!! God I would of never of thought anxiety can be so powerful, I thought it was just a feeling didn't realise it causes so many symptoms!! Just wish this but "WHAT IF" would leave my head! I'm slowly feeling better. Can't wait to feel myself again. :) thanks for taking the time to respond to my post :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »
what if-ing   is part of the thinking disorder.    Indulging that useless thought process is fodder for what I call "BEASTY" (the anxious over thinking).  Truthfully you will never run out of "what-ifs" that you can chase around the tree. 

THink of the what ifs as just another way anxiety lies to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hayley2405

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »
Soooo stressed!!! Ok so I was finally starting to feel better, not let things stress me out and worry- then last night a young boy ran in front of my car and I knocked him over ( he's fine ) thank god!!! But now I have this to worry about..... I feel physically sick and now I'm thinking all this worrying is going to make me go crazy!!! Us that possible?? I'm SOOO fed up with this :( x
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 08:18:09 AM »
Soooo stressed!!! Ok so I was finally starting to feel better, not let things stress me out and worry- then last night a young boy ran in front of my car and I knocked him over ( he's fine ) thank god!!! But now I have this to worry about..... I feel physically sick and now I'm thinking all this worrying is going to make me go crazy!!! Us that possible?? I'm SOOO fed up with this :( x

what a horrendous thing for you (and the young boy) to have to go through.  So, OF COURSE, you are a wee bit wigged out over it---emotionally and physcially.  I believe anyone would be.   :yes:  So allow yourself that  :spineyes: for today.....  THEN collect yourself and move on to EVERYBODY is fine and no one is going to go crazy. 

this sort of thing sends out adrenaline surge.  In a person that isn't living anxiously, he/she could expect to feel those afteraffects---ie jiggly feeling arms/legs, shortness of breath, extteme fatigue, jitteriness, nausea---for a few hours or so.  For us anxious peeps, since our bodies are already on "freak out alert  :winking0008:"  those weird feelings can last a couple of days.  It could be even longer if we start thinking about how we feel phsyically or if we ruminate over the stressor.

I'll give you an example of how the after effects adrenaline can linger in a body:

About 3yrs ago I was in my yard trimming back the Lamb's Ears spent flowers.  They were looking ratty BUT the bee population (from honeybees to yellowjackets to bumbles) were still enamoured with them.  I don't like bees.  So I was moving in and "snip" and then move down and "snip".  Gotta tell ya the bees started catching on that I was cutting down the nectar source and weren't all that thrilled with me.  Long story short (well maybe to late for that  :winking0008:)  I played  "Dodge that Bee" for about twenty minutes.    I sat down afterward and I really, REALLY felt all those lovely "fight or flight" symptoms.   My thighs really felt it.  They were incredibly sore for about 3 days.    Now this was with me not LIVING ANXIOUSLY and I still had a somewhat prolonged after effect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hayley2405

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 08:31:09 AM »
Thanks for your replies your so sweet!! I know but I just don't know how much more my body can cope with!! It's bloody awful.... It's like I want to think of all these horrible things and they won't leave my head.... I just want to be my positive happy self again not a miserable anxious idiot!!! This has just added the cherry on the cake! What's the best strategy with overcoming these feelings?? Does anxiety make you worry about symptoms and think negatively all the time?? Xxx
Bookmark and Share

Tags: