Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Nightime Panic Attacks  (Read 673 times)

Offline NitaC_20

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Nightime Panic Attacks
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:55 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have had anxiety/panic disorder and OCD for the last two years and learning how to deal with it seems so hard. For the past couple of months I have become so anxious right before bed so at that point sleep seems impossible. Also, I have begun to get pains in my chest as soon as my body starts to get even a little nervous. At first I had grown so anxious thinking something was wrong with my heart but doctor said heart was perfect but of course my anxiety cannot realize that. It feels like my mind could have a great day but as soon as bedtime rolls around my anxiety turns on. I also will wake up at early morning hours (12 am- 3 am) with anxiety, as soon as my eyes open I am in a panic attack. All I wanna do is cry because it is so frustrating. :traurig001: Has anyone else gone through this?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nightime Panic Attacks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 06:21:22 AM »
Welcome to AnxietyZone.

Are you being treated for anxiety and if so, how?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline sdjw37

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:58:25 AM »
I had this problem. My dr at the time gave me 2mg ativan. Which seemed to work micacles at the time. I got sleep and less anxiety and didn't wake up at 2 or 3 am with all those feelings and panic. What was hard when I changed dr's and they took me off of it. Now I am suffering again. Like you don't know what to do or handle it because I was medicated for so many years.

good luck

sdjw
Bookmark and Share

Offline NitaC_20

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 12:07:54 AM »
I haven't received treatment yet, Every time I received the referral to see a doctor, my anxiety seemed to worsen at the thought so I have been managing it on my own but over the last few months it has gotten a lot worse so I will be going to a new doctor in the next couple of weeks.

Sdjw: Are you back on medication now? And good luck to you as well.

-Juanita
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 05:52:18 AM »
Like you don't know what to do or handle it because I was medicated for so many years.

Unfortunately, more and more doctors are becoming benzophobic and denying folk a treatment that has worked well for them for years. This leaves you with only two options, antidepressants and/or therapy. If your insurance covers it, therapy is an effective treatment which you should consider. Antidepressants are at least as effective, but can sometimes be more trouble initially. You need to discuss this with your doctor, preferably soon. The longer anxiety disorders (and depression) are left untreated the more entrenched and harder to resolve they become.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Hereismyusername

• Luke 1:37
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:31:39 AM »
Nita, I'm kind of the same way, specifically at this time of year when the days are colder and shorter. I have a hard time calming myself down without the help of low dose Xanax (usually .25mg). As soon as the sun starts going down I can feel the anxiety creeping up, so it's almost like I have to teach my mind and body to NOT panic just because it's night time. This happens about every 2 to 3 years or so in the Fall/early Winter.
But yeah, with the help of a low dosage of Xanax and a LOT of prayer, I've always been able to snap out of it after awhile.
Hope you feel better soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline rockbush

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 02:35:02 AM »
having the same problem right now. the mornings are good, afternoons are hard, and night time is horrible. tonight fell asleep for 1 hour and awoke in panic. all kinds of terrible feelings.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 06:42:48 AM »
This happens about every 2 to 3 years or so in the Fall/early Winter.

Have you tried light therapy?

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hereismyusername

• Luke 1:37
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 09:20:21 AM »

Have you tried light therapy?

Ian

I haven't, although I've heard of it from multiple friends. I've checked the prices and I just can't get myself to pay that much! Have you tried it, or know anyone who has tried it?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
Have you tried it, or know anyone who has tried it?

Not personally. In Australia a lack of sunlight is not a problem we normally have. I understand light boxes can be hired from pharmacies in those parts of the world where seasonal affective disorder is prevalent. Using one for a week should provide a good indication whether these would help you.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Happy sailing

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Flirty
    Flirty
  • I sought the Lord He delivered me from all my fear
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »
Hereismyusername...

I am sort of hijacking this a little...
I noticed that with your meds, you said A LOT of prayer!
I am with you.  I get frustrated though.
Also, I noticed on one of your other posts, you said you get frustrated too with the worries about illnesses, and get to the point of "whatever...ok then!"
do you ever have concerns around it getting worse or being something worse?
Congrats on the baby!
Hugs!
Bookmark and Share
Wiiliam Shakespeare :       
“Frame thy mind to mirth and merriment, which bars a thousand harms, and lengthens life”

Offline NitaC_20

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »
having the same problem right now. the mornings are good, afternoons are hard, and night time is horrible. tonight fell asleep for 1 hour and awoke in panic. all kinds of terrible feelings.

That sounds exactly like me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline silvermage2000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
Hi Nita I hope you feel better. Are you seeing a countsuler or have someone to talk to I find that can be helpful. Also I know it may be hard but try to find something else to get your mind on on like a tv show or something. And mabe possibly something soothing to you like herbal or decaf tea or a bubble bath etc. And my family is a big help to me to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Twinhere

Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
Worst 2 months of my life. Seemed like i never slept. I had to go to the ER a few times to get my sleep back. Was all drugged up on ativan. I still worry about sleep now, but it has gotten a lot better. I was prescribed klonipin and have been taking it like 2 months. Been tapering on my own. Down to a quarter a mg a night. Any who, i know benzos are addicting so if you go that route it will help at first, but i wouldn't take it long term. I've only had panic and anxiety for 4 months and I'm so thankful for sleep again.... Scary stuff
Bookmark and Share

Offline NitaC_20

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 12:56:32 AM »
Hi Nita I hope you feel better. Are you seeing a countsuler or have someone to talk to I find that can be helpful. Also I know it may be hard but try to find something else to get your mind on on like a tv show or something. And mabe possibly something soothing to you like herbal or decaf tea or a bubble bath etc. And my family is a big help to me to.

Thank you. I had been putting off seeing a therapist because the thought of it scared me but I will be seeing one in a couple of weeks and hope I can get some relief from this. I will try the tea, I have heard its great before bedtime. My family is also a big help to me as well.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: