Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pin pricking sensation?? Freaking out!  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Emilia86

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pin pricking sensation?? Freaking out!
« on: October 15, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
I'm an MS worrier and those of you who frequent the boards probably already know. I've had every symptom from numbess, hair loss, muscle twitching, the feeling of cold water been dripped on you, neck pain, sudden quick waist cramps, electric shock type pains in calf and pin pricking sensations all over my body.

Over the last 2 days I've started feeling slight pricking sensations in my face...around my cheekbones and eyes. I regretfully googled and now I'm terrified of Trigeminal Neuralgia, which is supposedly the worst pain known to man! I'm afraid it will turn into that at some point. I've also had some mild muscle twinges in my nose chin and upper lip tht feel like something is crawling under it for 2 seconds. I couldn't sleep at all last night because I was so worried. I didn't read anything online that was comforting when it came to this sensation in your face. It all seemed to pull that up. Has anyone felt this before with their anxiety? I'm such a mess right now. My face in general has started to hurt now...like a dull pain that comes and goes with occasional slight pricking.

And for anyone who doesn't know, I'm 25 and had a brain/spine MRI last year after I woke up with some numbness and the neuro wanted to rule out MS. It was clear, and so was my blood work. But, that was a yr ago.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0109

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pin pricking sensation?? Freaking out!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »
Hi Emilia,

I've had this on and off for the past 3 months.......

We talked recently about how alike our symptoms were and I'm sure this is yet another symptom of our anxiety despite us both thinking we have M.S.  :(

Try to keep smiling hun and STAY OFF GOOGLE!!!! (I know how tough this is as I'm a Google addict)

Sending you lots of hugs xxx
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 175
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »
To have ANY chance at some lasting peace, you'll have to stop googling - period. You already know everything you need to know, by now, anyway. And, you know (through googling) about too much stuff that doesn't even apply to you - such as 'living with MS', perhaps. You do not have MS. You'll accept this, to your own personal extents, eventually. I can't say when as I can't say when you will begin to fully embrace all the actions and habits that can, ultimately, lead you to having anxiety not be as dominant in your life. Even when we are doing all the 'right things', we still will have some crappy interactions, at times, with anxiety. There will be setbacks...it is the nature of anxiety disorder(s) / health anxiety, overwhelmingly.

All you are doing by internet searching is cementing, in an anxious mind, the notion that there is a definite possibility that the MAJOR reason you are struggling, overall, in your life is due to a sinister health issue. All an anxious mind needs, very often, is a possibility to keep us locked in a cycle of fear. But, in the end, there will always be a possibility, of this or that happening on our lives. "What ifs?" abound when we are struggling - I understand. But our actions so matter in KEEPING us locked into fear cycles, when maybe, if we were able to stop a counterproductive habit for a good period of time, we might be able to loosen the grip of anxiety (just enough:) where we aren't panicked into further counterproductive actions / habits.

An action can be NOT doing something (a bad habit), also.

Trigeminal Neuralgia? Absolutely not. You are struggling with anxiety. Don't get me wrong....struggling with anxiety can be an amazingly, crippling experience....I have been there - to the 'edge', so to speak.

Clear MRI / clean blood / "all clear" Doc exams = you needing to move away from thinking about more medical intervention and beginning to focus with all your available energy (calmly:) and your resources on learning how to accept and manage and live well with anxiety. It most certainly can be done - living well alongside our anxiety issues. Easy? Nope. Challenging? Sure. Worth every bit of effort and sweat and tears? Absolutely:)

What's going on in your anxiety treatment?

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Emilia86

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 11:06:40 PM »
I know how detrimental getting on google for every little thing can be. I guess I do it because I hope to find something good and comforting rather than some devastating thing I already know. When I started having the pain in my face, I had already known what trigeminal neuralgia was and it was immediately in my head, but I googled anyway hoping that my specific symptom would bring something less bad up. But it didn't, and now I'm in this extreme state of fear. I wasn't feeling anxious prior to the onset of pain in my face, so how can I say it's anxiety? I don't think I've even heard of that being an axiety symptom before. And my MRI was exactly a year ago. I've heard with MS it can be missed in the beginning, so that's another reason why I'm having a hard time accepting anxiety and keep googling. But I know I have to stop...It's just that I'm always scared, and feel alone. I think if I had a better support system where I'm at it would be easier for me. My friends and family can't relate and they don't understand either so they never really know what to say or do.

As far as treating my anxiety, I've been getting out more with my friends and trying to keep my mind preoccupied. This weekend I went on a little road trip with 2 friends and felt a little better than I usually do, but since I've been back this pain in my face came on and the other symptoms are more recurrent. I'm also meeting with a family friend once a week who is a counselor. I can't say it's helped with the symptoms though. May try acupuncture too...

I just feel so overwhelmed and unsure and alone in feeling this symptom. Everything I saw had TN pop up, not anxiety. And I've never read of anyone having this symptom as just anxiety and it going away. I want my life back and this pain to go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Applewine

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:53:31 PM »
I get weird water sensations. I can also get weird burning or stinging sensations, sometimes they itch a little while they sting. I have no clue what is wrong. I didn't have this until I took three antibiotics from a crazy "lyme disease" doctor because I was referred to him. I was getting treated for trigger points in my neck and other places which wouldn't go away so I thought "maybe it is lyme" since this doctor said I had it. I now believe he was wrong.

The three antibiotics I was given were bactrim, riframpin and minocycline. About two weeks into taking these I started to feel weird snow flake sensations all over, then water sensations. I did some searching and bactrim side effect is depression. That is strange. I remember feeling very depressed and morbid after taking it, not sure how/why it does this. I didn't realize it could be the bactrim at the time.

Some recent searching says bactrim itnerferes with folate metabolism and can cause deficiency. I was also on a low carb diet at the time, so I was probably low. That was like 3 years ago though and I'm still having problems, though I did do a super low carb extreme ketogenic nausea diet a year ago. Six months into that the symptoms came back when I got an upper respiratory infection.

The medical text here on bactrim:
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=4152

Says that folinic acid should be given. I've been taking b-vitamins for 7 months now and the symptoms were going away slowly, but every time I have an upper respiratory infection all the progress in lowering symptoms seems to come back.

I bought methyl-folate, but maybe I'll buy some folinic acid and take lots of that with my b-complex.

I was hoping it was just some metabolic or nutritional thing from doing weird diets. But, my fears are that it is either something autoimmune or something so complex I'll never figure it out even if it is totally benign.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »
Applewine, I can relate.  Many years ago after a severe flu' I experienced a prickly sensation in the skin of both shins and a surging feeling in my chest.  It went away twice, only to return.  I've had it for 3 years now.  It's horrible.  Now I get the nasty sensations all over my legs; it kind of moves around.  I've been tested extensively with normal results every time.  I'm at a loss, but very frustrated.  Hopefully we will both feel better soon. >:(
Bookmark and Share

Offline So worried

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 06:53:57 PM »
When I was googling all about strange sensations I came across a forum full of people all going on about tingling,buzzing,cold,hot,water sensation on the body, a lot of them had every kind of test and all came back normal, all their neurologist said it was to do with hyperventilating or some kind of breathing that you don't even realise you're doing it, and it courses all these side effects even the one where you think a bug has crawled over you. So anxiety can cause this, but I would always get checked out with your doctor to make sure, but I know how you feel I have a major worry about nerve pain after reading horror story's on google, I'm deffo never googling symptoms again. Hope you feel better. :)
Bookmark and Share
No more google for me!!!!

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
If you MUST Google do it like this, "Anxiety pain in face" - I can bet you will find a TON of sites coming up telling you it's anxiety!  I wouldn't google at all, but I found that by doing searches like that, it's very safe.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: