Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Obsessing over parts of body  (Read 740 times)

Offline PePep

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Obsessing over parts of body
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
I can't stop focusing on my jaw. Seriously. I know it sounds stupid (or maybe it doesn't), but my jaw feels stiff. I focus on the muscles of the jaw. The bones of the jaw. I think about them. The best position for them. And I can't stop thinking about it. Trying not to think about it only makes it worse. I have trouble talking because of it. This isn't the first time this has happened. Before the jaw, it was the muscles around my mouth. Before that, it was my cheeks. Before that, it was the noise of the environment. I can't focus. All I can think about is this. I can't focus. I can only think about my jaw and how to possible cure it, but that only makes it worse. It's killing me. Is this because of anxiety Do I have a brain tumor Why can't I stop focusing on parts of my body I honestly feel   all the time because of it. Life isn't enjoyable. Social situations aren't enjoyable. I'll be talking to someone, then I start thinking about my jaw, and I start getting frustrated and, I stop talking. Is it a brain tumor Is it anxiety How do I stop this Someone told me that if I accept it it will go away.

please help me
Bookmark and Share

Offline PePep

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Obsessing over parts of body
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
bump ;*)
Bookmark and Share

Offline PePep

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »

bump
Bookmark and Share

Offline jkip2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »
Do you think of more than two things at once? Like is there ever a moment where you think of both your cheeks and your jaw? Or does one obsession go away immediately after you move onto the next.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PePep

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:24:26 PM »
it goes away immediately when I move to the next
Bookmark and Share

Offline blueyes132005

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »
It is not a brain tumor, and you are goign to be fine. Your OCD is focusing on your mouth/jaw for whatever reason. The more you try to repress these feelings without dealing with them, it will only reinforce the irrational fears. I know it hard to deal with, and I'm not a doctor, so I don't have much advice, but with my former OCD symptoms, I had to FORCE myself over years to recognize that these fears were irrational and then keep doing the activity that scared me--face it head on while telling yourself over and over that you are going to be okay and the compulsions are not necessary. I had fears of writing letters the wrong way, and I was afraid that the letters would come alive and kill me. I forced myself to say, "this is not rational, paper isn't alive" and when I would write the letter incorrectly (to my standards), I would leave it alone. I wouldn't change it like I used to (i would spend houuuuurrrss rewriting assignments).
Bookmark and Share

Offline SgtSalami

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 06:37:05 AM »
Hi there,

I had a very similar problem for a bit. One day I just realised that I didn't know the default position of my jaw, and then I couldn't stop thinking about it.

If you approach it with a relaxed, mindful approach then the problem will go away. I have overcome this anxiety. If you acknowledge the thought, "there's me thinking about my jaw", take a step back, and focus on something else (try your breathing, or the rising and falling sensation of your breath in your stomach).

If you try some mindfulness meditation, this is an easy way to get into the whole process of focusing on your breathing. Relax, and know this problem will go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 11:35:51 PM »
It sounds like these obsessions are taking up most of your day.  Sounds like obsessive compulsive disorder to me.  There are 2 ways to approach this if you have OCD - one is called exposure therapy where you are exposed to your obsession and then not permitted to do the compulsion.  It's a type of cognitive behavior therapy done by a trained therapist.  It sounds like the 2nd or 3rd person who responded to this thread was doing their own exposure therapy and that it worked for them.  With exposure therapy your anxiety peaks when you aren't allowed to do your compulsion, but then diminishes and goes away.  People have to go for "tune ups" if their compulsions come back, but this type of therapy helps many OCD sufferers and is a non drug option.  I've had OCD for over 40 years and I did some of this exposure therapy on my own before it was known how prevalent OCD was and that it helped.  The term exposure therapy had yet to be coined for several decades.  But for me the SSRI's celexa and lexapro have given me the most relief since I have few outer compulsions -- mainly obsessive thoughts and mental compulsions. 
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.