Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What are hobbies that reduce your anxiety?  (Read 12137 times)

Offline flyaway

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: What are hobbies that reduce your anxiety?
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2014, 12:57:35 AM »
Ok I have 3 things:

- Harry Potter (I can get lost in these books so easily)
- Online trivia quizes on the youplay website
- My local contemporary Christian pop radio station (I'm not Christian, it's just so uplifting and loving, it makes me feel safe)
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »
Whenever I can, I do aviation photography and tinkering with cars and diesels. Funny thing is, working on autos can frustrate me more than anything else, but I don't get anxiety even in my worst moments.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pto

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2014, 08:33:35 PM »
Used to lift or run to relieve stress but the new symptoms are elaving me too tired to do much of that.

I went through a phase where i was playing video games, then cut back for a while, now im back into them again. Its a good escape.

My kindle is loaded with books, read a lot.

Heading to the range for some target shooting always is fun, gotta head out more often.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2014, 10:49:17 PM »
Like just about everyone here, I like to read and write.  Text Twist is a good distraction, especially the timed sessions which force you to concentrate.  Getting outside and walking is my favorite, along with yoga.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ivanc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »
Playing video games and music.

Brings happiness in my life  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jergle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »
I do a lot of puzzles, or play some grand strategy video games usually, strangely enough I find roleplaying and drama is quite handy at helping me familiarize myself with situations so I don't spend ages avoiding them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dragon

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
Hard for me to do any thing when my anxiety is acting up but what I like is anything that takes my mind off of stuff, art, reading, watching movies, documentaries, fishing etc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2014, 11:04:33 AM »
The number one thing I do is the Alexander technique. I urge you to give it a try. Find a teacher in your area and go for at least ten lessons (it takes about ten private lessons to actually get what they're saying, I was really resistant at first because I'm a natural skeptic, but once you get it, it's amazing). http://www.amsatonline.org/alexander-technique

I exercise. The two best exercises to boost my endorphins are push-ups and running. As a man, working out my chest, shoulders, and arms really releases endorphins. If I do push-ups to exhaustion, which is no fun, I feel great for hours, which IS fun.

I play very amateurish classical guitar. I've taken lessons for years and I love it. Trying to figure out a new piece just from the sheet music takes all my focus and I lose track of time.

Photography. I'm a writer by trade, so writing actually induces my anxiety, at least at first.by the time I've produced a usable draft I'm happy, but at first, ugh. But I have no stakes in photography. It's just a creative outlet. I also never use an automatic setting on my dslr. I try really hard to figure out the settings on my own, which is like reading music, it takes all of my concentration which leaves no room for anxiety.

Oh, I don't do this often enough, but sometimes I'll work on a puzzle with my older son. I should do that more, because puzzles take a lot of concentration, but are really low stakes. Unfortunately I have OCD so if we are missing a piece it really, really bothers me. Though I haven't tried a puzzle since I started prozac, so maybe it wouldn't be as bad now.

I want to try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Does anybody do that?
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline Raichoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
I typically write, play video games, listen to music, or play funny Internet videos to relieve stress/anxiety, but as of late a new wave of anxiety has made me too freaked out to do any of those (or they have simply lost their effect). Oddly enough now only a few things work, including playing with Play Dough and just plain talking to people. What's more odd is that none of these worked before. I don't get how things like Play Dough works to calm my anxiety, I just know it does at the moment haha.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2014, 11:55:21 PM »
Hey Raichoo,
Play dough is awesome. Never underestimate the power of the play dough!
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind