Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hydroxyzine??  (Read 755 times)

Offline mmg2762

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hydroxyzine??
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:28:05 PM »
So I FINALLY went to the doctor this morning to talk about my dizziness and anxiety. It took about five minutes for her to write me a prescription for medication. She said before I try Effexor she wanted metp try hydroxyzine.y dad takes this and said it should help.

Had anyone else tried this and had it work?! I'm starting it today and I'm actually excited so hopefully this works!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hydroxyzine??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »
Hydroxyzine (Atarax, (Vistaril) is an antihistamine (as are many antidepressants, BTW) mostly prescribed for allergies, nasal congestion, motion nausea, etc. However, it does have anti anxiety properties, and can be all that some need to cage the anxiety beast. It is being prescribed more for anxiety by doctors as an alternative to benzodiazepines. Dentists have used it for years to ease anxiety in dental phobic patients.

Hope it works for you

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline anxious J

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »
Can this be taking long term ? Also it says it works as a antiserotonergic , Does that mean it lowers serotonin ? Thanks J
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Can this be taking long term ?

Yes it can be.

Also it says it works as a antiserotonergic , Does that mean it lowers serotonin ? Thanks J

The evidence for an antiserotonergic effects is weak, so it may or may not. Antidepressants definitely do lower serotonin levels in some brain areas associated with anxiety and depression.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: