Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: anything but psychiatric drugs that can reduce anxiety ?  (Read 741 times)

Offline QuiteGuy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anything but psychiatric drugs that can reduce anxiety ?
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »
Hi

before I go the psychiatric drugs path, I would like to try some "natural" paths to reduce my anxiety.
I'm referring to stuff that are not addictive and can be stopped without side effects.
an example is taking a Magnesium + calcium supplement that I read reduces anxiety (probably false anyway but just an example)

are there more like these ?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: anything but psychiatric drugs that can reduce anxiety ?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 01:01:35 AM »
The only 'natural' treatments with solid supporting evidence are exercise and Omega-3 fatty acids/fish oil (at about 3x the usual dose - taper up slowly to avoid diarrhea). Also psychotherapy, particularly the cognitive/behavioral therapies such as CBT and REBT.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline QuiteGuy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »
can you get those 3x times more omega 3 from food or does that have to a supplement ?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:33:24 AM »
You could try eating a lot of oily fish, but supplements, which are only capsuled fish oil, might be easier and possibly cheaper.
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline QuiteGuy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
a mild help with anxiety might be all that I need. it comes and goes.

what is 3x the usual dose ? what is the exact dosage I should consume a day for this ?

I have a phobia for swallowing pills and I see it comes in liquid too - is that just as good ?

also is there a blood test (or other kind of test) to check my current Omega 3 levels ? I ask because I eat either 1 can of tune (160 gram), 1 can of sardines (120 gram) or a handful of haring fish a day... I'm afraid to over dose... what happens if I overdose anyway ?

and I thank you for your help. I really need it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
a mild help with anxiety might be all that I need. it comes and goes.

what is 3x the usual dose ? what is the exact dosage I should consume a day for this ?

I have a phobia for swallowing pills and I see it comes in liquid too - is that just as good ?

also is there a blood test (or other kind of test) to check my current Omega 3 levels ? I ask because I eat either 1 can of tune (160 gram), 1 can of sardines (120 gram) or a handful of haring fish a day... I'm afraid to over dose... what happens if I overdose anyway ?

and I thank you for your help. I really need it.

Hi QuiteGuy  :action-smiley-065:

Here is my 2 cents  :twocents:

To follow up on Ian's last post, Omega-3 are showing great promise in the area of depression and anxiety.

In an excellent book that I have read and applying for my own health:
The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs - Dr. Ilardi, Stephen
. Had very high ratings from readers, especially on the use of Omega-3 Therapy (Step -1) of the program.

According to the author of this book -  Dr. Ilardi, Stephen:

All direct quotations from the book will appear in RED...

A:  The starting dose recommended by the author of this book is : "I recommend a starting omega-3 dose of 1000 mg of EPA and 500 mg of DHA each day to all of my patients".  - which I started with and later (30 days), you can double that amount if you want.

A:  "What’s the difference between fish oil capsules and liquid supplements? Is one better than the other? They’re just different ways of taking the same oil. No one likes the taste of fish oil (even the high-quality stuff), so most people prefer taking the oil in capsule form, which prevents us from having to taste the oil itself. On the other hand, some of us don’t like swallowing big pills. That’s why I’m among the brave souls who take the fish oil “straight-up,” right out of the bottle. Luckily, most liquid products now have a lemon flavoring to help mask the fishy taste, and I’ve found that chasing the oil with a shot of grapefruit juice works wonders to cover up the aftertaste."

My Choices:  For Liquid - Carlson The Very Finest Fish Oil Omega-3's DHA & EPA, Lemon 16.9 fl oz - Is my personal recommendation, Carlson has a very strong reputation for quality, but you can find less expensive fish oils.

For Capsules:  You  can always send me P.M. - since the variety - quality and prices are numerous - but make sure that they are "molecularly distilled" fish oil supplement.  This process removes any contaminants and impurities all the way down to the molecular level.

Q: "I’m not sure I want to take fish oil pills every day. Is it possible to get enough omega-3s naturally, by incorporating the right kinds of meat and other foods into my daily diet? "

A:  "Yes, it’s possible, but it’s fairly difficult. Fatty fish—especially salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, herring, whitefish, and shad—are by far the richest natural source of EPA and DHA, so the obvious strategy is to start adding plenty of these fish into your daily diet. But it takes a lot of fish to get an antidepressant dose of omega-3s. On average, you’ll need two to three servings each day."

Q: Is there a blood test to measure Omega-3 ratios?

"Unfortunately, your doctor’s office probably won’t be set up to do this important blood test. They might not even know how to order it. So you may need to contact a lab that does the test and set things up yourself. One of the best such labs is Nutrasource Diagnostics; you can call them or go to their Web site to order the test. They’ll step you through the process, which turns out to be surprisingly simple. And, if you have health insurance (and the support of your doctor), the expense may be fully or partially covered."

I hope this helps  :action-smiley-065:

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions  :happy0151:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
I also wanted to mention another Non-Psychiatric drug that I personally used with great success: :yes:

This is condensed version of an earlier Post I made...

I would like to share Non-Psychiatric Drug approach to controlling Panic Attacks without prescription medication - by using OTC motion sickness medication – Bonine.  This was about 30 years ago, before SSRI and the more effective Benzodiazepines are now used. 

I am currently using Prozac (SSRI) with a low dose Benzodiazepine (Valium) which has resolved my Panic Attacks and Anxiety disorders completely.

Quick History:  :sign0067:
-     1979 -First panic attack – quickly accelerated into 5-6 panic attacks per day.  Panic attacks were not recognized by the medical community until 1980 ( panic disorder was first officially recognized in 1980 - with the publication of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (3rd edition, DSM-III) )

-     1979- 83 Forced to drop out of college, lost my job, lost my romantic relationships, My life as I knew it was over!  I even blamed God!    Phobias multiplied exponentially and soon became the normal part of my dysfunctional and shrinking world – Fear of driving, getting out of the house, restaurants, elevators, people –  this is now call this agoraphobia, GAD.

-      1983, Discovered   The Anxiety Disease, David Sheehan - which at least gave me an answer - After all medical treatment failed to diagnose my problem.  That this was a Biological problem with the chemicals in my brain, and I was NOT LOSING MY MIND!  This gave me the encouragement to apply self-hypnosis and other types of mental therapy.

-   1986, Discovered  “Phobia Free: Medical Breakthrough Linking 90% of all Phobias and Panic Attack to a Hidden Physical Problem, Harold Levinson, M.D.”  - in brief the author's theory- disorder caused by cerebellar-vestibular system , AKA - "the inner ear." - could be treated by motion sickness meds:party0006:

-    I started using  the recommend  OTC motion sickness pills in the book, that dramatically lowered my Panic Attacks and severe anxiety levels within days!  No other supplement or OTC nutritional aid had worked before...

-      After trying about three different OTC Motion Sickness  - I found one with the least side effects for me was Meclizine (Bonine)  used them for about 3 years – 2x per day. – which is an antihistamine that is used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness. It may also be used to reduce dizziness and loss of balance (vertigo) caused by inner ear problems

-     FREQUENCY of my panic attacks decreased from 5-6 per day to 1-2 per day.

-     INTENSITY of the panic attacks quickly decreased from my high levels of 9-10 full blown attacks to manageable 4-7 levels. 

-     This resulted in a 50% improvement - Enough, to make a breakthrough to get out of the house, drive on the freeway and get a job and start my journey to recovery without any Prescription drugs or medical therapy.

-     1992-93 – Finally, faced my fears of Psychiatric Medications – found several psychiatrists -  Paxil was just introduced into the market and Prozac and Zoloft were already available.

Current Status - I am currently using Prozac (SSRI) with a low dose Benzodiazepine (Valium) which has resolved my Panic Attacks and Anxiety disorders completely.   This gave me a 100% improvement vs. only 50% improvement with OTC motion sickness medication.

Side notes:  If you decide to try this, or want to consider trying this,  please remember, this was my own experience, please speak with your doctor and use your own judgment, as with any medication of any type – they all seem to have side effects.   Also, please read the two books above, especially “Phobia Free: Medical Breakthrough Linking 90% of all Phobias and Panic Attack to a Hidden Physical Problem, Harold Levinson, M.D.”  it includes a list of the medications in the book and potential side effects, I encourage you to read the readers reviews on this book, many have had success stories.  Always, be informed when taking any type of medication – whether it is OTC or Psychiatric medication – knowledge is power.

Hope this information was helpful,
 :action-smiley-065:
If you have any additional questions please feel free to send a PM

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »
I’ve found that chasing the oil with a shot of grapefruit juice works wonders to cover up the aftertaste.

Just a caution if taking meds, any meds, not only psych ones, that grapefruit juice can affect how some are metabolized so ask your pharmacist before taking it.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline stevo1111

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 08:53:04 PM »
Hyper dosing Omega 3's, running 20 miles a week, and meditating daily (and fishing as OFTEN as possible) managed my anxiety about 20-40%. It has a clear effect that is certainly not placebo for me!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Fish Oil Omega 3