Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Decrease Zoloft, 6-8 weeks later Vertigo, Pressure, Emotional Sensivity.  (Read 2253 times)

Offline momentsfade

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello, my name is Steve and I am battleing some sort of depression, and currently dizziness and pressure in the head and neck, but its somewhat of a long story. To spare you all the gory details I will try to provide only the facts. I am 27. When I was 22 or 23 I started zoloft for anxiety. I had been on somewhere between 50 - 100mg. At that time I weighed 160lbs. Within about 6 months I went up to 198lbs. I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 2 1/2 years ago. Last year during my wifes pregnancy I tried to ween myself off zoloft in an effort to decrease my weight. (I also had this crazy idea that it would help my blood sugar.) I went down to about 25mg. I cant remember if I stayed on that dose. Last June my wife and I had our first child. Slightly thereafter she notice that I looked skinnier. When she mentioned it to me I went on a mad tear for a scale and of course I was about 10 lbs lighter. From that point on I became obsessed with my weight (thinking I was loosing weight due to an illness). Right before Christmas my parents up and moved to Florida quite abruptly. My brother also moved but to Arizona. Right around new years all hell broke loose. I got pretty dizzy and had a pressure in the side of my head. I became shaky and sweaty at night. I went back to the family doctor and she told me to go back on the 100mg. After about two weeks of being on the 100mg not much had changed but the dizziness had gone away. She then told me to take 150mg. I couldn't take it anymore so I went to a therapist and psychiatrist. He ordered me to take 50mg of the zoloft and a new drug called straterra for my add which I do and always have had. Everything was fine for a while and he asked me if I felt good. I did so he ordered me to take 25mg of zoloft again. I have been taking the 25 mg for about a month or 2. All of the sudden about 3 weeks ago the dizziness or vertigo came back with a passion along with the pressure in my head and ear, I also again get shaky at times. My appetite has decreased throughout the day but I tend to get sudden hunger urges . As of late I've been getting aches in my neck between my skull and my shoulder along with everything else. Also I've been getting a few headaches and what feels like the onset of a panic attack but not attack actually happens. I've been to all types of doctors and all of them said its my anxiety doing it. I went back up to 50mg when it started but again its been about 2 weeks and I cant say I feel a change. If I take a xanex it seems to get better. I do not WANT to take a xanex all day. Let me explain the dizziness. Its more of a strong gravitational pull on my left side. Very strange feeling. It really feels like a bad hangover... kind of. Sometimes if I sit down it goes away but sometimes not. My blood sugar is fine and my diabetes is for the most part handled. Every doctor tells my the dizziness isnt the zoloft, but I really think it is. It takes a while to hit me unlike other people. I know because its happened before just not this bad. I need to be ok for my baby boy and my wife. I feel terrible always complaining about how I feel and worrying about the worst (unlikely) possible situation. PLEASE HELP if you can. I've been working my job through all this every day 10 hours a day, but I feel like I'm going to lose it at any minute.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Steve, the return is the dizziness/vertigo was likely the result of reducing Zoloft (sertraline) to below the therapeutic dose range of 50-200mg/day which, after the extra stress of your family moving away has seen a return of anxiety. If Zoloft was the cause than you should have experienced these symptoms even more strongly when you were at higher doses. Further evidence is that taking Xanax (alprazolam) eases them. Nor do I believe these are caused by a withdrawal effect. They would then have become apparent within days, not some 5 weeks later.

It can take 4-6 weeks for an increase in dose to become effective, so I'm not surprised that you haven't noticed any benefit after only 2.

As for the weight gain issue, yes antidepressants (AD) do cause this, with about a quarter of those taking them gaining weight. Zoloft is usually the least likely SSRI to do so. The only ADs with a better record in this regard are Wellbutrin (bupropion) and Effexor (venlafaxine). However, Wellbutrin is a very stimulating AD, too stimulating for most with anxiety. Reducing the antidepressant dose simply to lower weight is not a good idea, as you've discovered. There are better ways of keeping it in check. Probably the best is exercise. It not only does it burn calories, but it has been shown to significantly lessen anxiety and depression too.

Best wishes

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline momentsfade

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ian, Thank you so much for the reply. I will say that when I went on the 100 and 150mg I shook all the time like I was freezing. I am a very active person, I ride dirt bikes and play hockey regularly, well used to until this all hit me. Throughout my whole life my weight has been stable weather its at 198 or 165. It doesn't seem to go up or down no matter what. As my wife has said I am absolutely amplifying everything I feel. For example, 3 weeks ago I had a very bad pulled groin that went from my hip into my genital area and back down my leg, for 2 weeks I was convinced I had testicular cancer. Now of course, I have no pain at all and everything is fine other than this pressure in my left ear and equilibrium issue which sometimes leads to a lingering headache. When I watch tv with my wife stupid things will trigger me to cry. I've always been sensitive to movies but not like this. Again, I am very active and have been my whole life, I have a bad shoulder (from hockey) that causes pain to radiate down my arm and into my blade and upper back at times, I just recently accepted this to be the reason and not some sort of underlying problem. Again, Thank You! This too shall pass I'm sure.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
Steve, it is 'normal' for people to get the jitters when first starting to take antidepressants, or when upping the dose. However, if this continued for more than a couple of months at a steady dose then it suggests the antidepressant may not be the right one. I'm not sure that you were at the higher doses long enough to know either way. But it seems to me that if can only tolerate Zoloft at a sub therapeutic dose then why take it at all? You would probably be better of trying something else. Perhaps you and your doctor need to reevaluate the treatment plan.

Has anyone suggested therapy? If not, cognitive therapy might help you not only with the anxiety, but also with the catastrophe thinking patterns too.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline momentsfade

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Yes Ian, I see a therapist right now, both my doctor and therapist I feel may not be the right ones. My therapist has told me to get a "full body" scan to ensure myself that I'm not dying. I laugh at this because at best its a temporary solution. I must say that after upping my dose I do feel better. The vertigo and shakes have gotten much MUCH better, but they still come and go. As of late I have had some sort of sinus issue that is giving me headaches and neck soreness. I believe it is partially the reason for my ear "fullness". I've been to the ENT and he gave me some nasal spray that I've been using for about 3 weeks, but it hasn't helped much. It seems everywhere I turn, people tell me I'm fine, but some of these things are not psychosomatic. I know for SURE that my left sinus is inflamed and causing pressure headaches in the left side of my head. Worse yet I've read not to take decongestants with the Stratera. Again, I do feel a lot better, but only about 50%. My wife keeps telling me that I need a therapist that will work WITH me about overcoming my doom and gloom attitude, but I don't know where to really find that. The good news is that I saw a Nutritionist yesterday and I like her a lot. Hopefully I can learn more about my Diabetes and put on a bit of weight as I am starting to feel uncomfortable at 173lbs. She wants me to cut out the diet soda though. : (
Bookmark and Share

Offline momentsfade

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Another update! I still feel a strong gravitational pull to my left but it comes and goes and its only while moving. Last Thursday I bumped my zoloft up to 75mg at the advise of my primary care physician. Waiting for some results. Meanwhile I still get nervous and head pressure. Xanex helps. Taking .25 - .50 as needed which I try to keep to a minimum. Still have to get blood work done for my regular A1C test, kinda dreading that because last time my liver function was up at ?57? 2 point over the 55 maximum. For the last few years I had been drinking heavily. At night only mostly to get comfortable for sleep. Call it about 5 - 6 liberal Jack and Cokes. Sounds crazy I know. Anyhow with the exception of 3 measured gin and tonics on my sons birthday, I haven't had a drink in about 2 months. It amazes me how some people can drink ALL day and ALL week and have no issues. Yes, I do miss alcohol but I gladly gave it up in an effort to be healthier mentally and physically.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lisamarie66

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi Momentsfade,
I joined this site after finding this post in a Google search. I have been having AWFUL dizziness/vertigo after stopping Zoloft about a month ago. A lot of what you have described is EXACTLY what I am experiencing. Like the pain in your neck....I have had "stiffness" in my neck from the base of my skull to my spine. And it's my LEFT side that is really bad too.....if I turn to my left it seems like everything kind of "shifts" and I get super dizzy. I know this post is really old but I am hoping that you will see this and can respond to me. I am curious if you ever got better and would like to talk. I am so scared that I am going to be like this forever =(
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
I have been having AWFUL dizziness/vertigo after stopping Zoloft about a month ago. A lot of what you have described is EXACTLY what I am experiencing. Like the pain in your neck....I have had "stiffness" in my neck from the base of my skull to my spine. And it's my LEFT side that is really bad too.

Welcome to AnxietyZone,

Did you wean off Zoloft or stop suddenly, and how long after you stopped did these symptoms begin?

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline lisamarie66

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi,

I STUPIDLY stopped cold-turkey. I had been taking it for almost a month and I had started breaking out *really* *really* bad. I think it was the Zoloft that caused the acne even though I know it isn't listed as a side effect. So I just stopped the Zoloft because I couldn't handle the horrible acne.

I felt fine until about 4-5 days after I stopped taking the medication and then I would get dizzy off and on. That lasted for about 3 days and then one morning I woke up and was instantly super dizzy and I stayed dizzy for over 3 weeks. I JUST STARTED FEELING "NORMAL" 2 DAYS AGO (THE DAY AFTER I POSTED ON THIS THREAD). I am soooooo happy and thankful to not be dizzy anymore!!!!! It was AWFUL. I actually had a full on vertigo episode the first day that I was dizzy all day..... I was vomiting and couldn't see straight and I had to call an ambulance because I had no idea what was happening to me. I told the EMT people and the doctors at the ER that I thought it was happening because I had stopped taking Zoloft and they said that wasn't possible and diagnosed me with BPV (benign positional vertigo). I also went to Urgent Care, my primary care doctor and a chiropractor within the 3+ weeks that I was dizzy and none of them made the connection that it was stopping the Zoloft.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: