Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Rabies Phobia...  (Read 1233 times)

Offline fallofasparrow

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rabies Phobia...
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »
I've been spamming up the HA boards with all my fears about rabies, so I thought I would bring it here, since I'm pretty sure it has become a phobia.

I am TERRIFIED of contracting rabies. It all started when one of my dogs drooled on my foot and I was worried I had a tiny open wound there that could let rabies in. I knew they were vaccinated, but the fear stayed all the same. Then I started becoming paranoid about bat bites, especially in my sleep, where you can't feel them. I scan my body every morning for weird marks, and a few days ago I FOUND SOME. Two red dots, exactly 1cm apart, on my right shoulder. I hoped it was just heat rash and they'd fade, but they didn't. I was this close to going out and getting a rabies vaccine just to allay my fear, but my parents and therapist talked me out of it, telling me that my fear was irrational since I had never seen, heard, or felt a bat in my house at any time, much less in my room. All the CDC case reports I'd found said that rabies victims had at least seen a bat in their room after being bitten. So, the fear subsided a tiiiiny bit.

Then this afternoon, I noticed some weird brown lumpy things outside my window. I looked outside and found trails of tiny black-brown pellets all down the siding of my house. I am CONVINCED these are bat droppings, and what's more, they're right outside my bedroom window.

I feel like I'm never going to be able to sleep again...how do I get rid of this phobia? I can't just seal off all my windows and doors or leave poison out for the bats to eat or something. I need to convince myself that a bat is not going to bite me in my sleep and give me rabies. The only question, of course, is how?

HELP!
Bookmark and Share

Offline fallofasparrow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabies Phobia...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 01:32:05 AM »
 :fragend005:
Please help...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cercy

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »
This is an old post, but I have the same phobia. I get over it, then it comes back... I avoid strange animals and won't own one myself the fear got so bad. My understanding is that bat poop is actually a white powder so that doesn't sound like bat guano. I don't know what to tell you other than that I share your fear and you're not alone. Not sure if you're still around here though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scaredycat75

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
This is actually the phobia that got me to these forums. I have been struggling with this issue for two weeks now and my body is probably reacting more to the anxiety than anything. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to ease my mind. Here's hoping this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:08 PM »
Hi

This has been a persistent phobia I have had for years. I thought I was over it but two days ago I discovered that my husband when he installed our airconditioner left the top of the window open. It has been that way for a month. Even though it is covered by a shade and blind I am afraid that a bat could have gotten in and bit me unknowingly and flew out. Years ago I was bitten by a bat and received the injections but this has now renewed my fears even though I talked to the health department and someone at bat conservation and both thought it unlikely but I just can't let go any thoughts would be welcomed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 247alldayanxious

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 03:34:07 AM »
Hi there. This may be 2 years ago but just want to share my similar phobia which I developed as well. I could barely touch my dogs, all weird marks and dots along my body make me go into an anxiety attack because I immediately associate them with rabies. When I get a fever: rabies. Sore throat: rabies. Feeling thirsty all of a sudden: rabies. Touching something wet or unfamiliar with: rabies. Hopefully my anxiety would stop, I hope you have overcome yours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »
Hi 24/7anxious

I have this same thing and believe it or not I have had the same thought process for at least the last 20 years. I have to tell you though during this time I actually was bitten by a bat and received treatment but that was 13 years ago and even now when something triggers it I feel the same. What I recommend is coming here to this site where there are many like us with this phobia because I can say it is a totally irrational fear there are many voices of reason here and it helps. I also happen to post here alot about this so read my posts and if you want message me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: