Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: video games and major anxiety  (Read 7021 times)

Offline anxiousinlondon

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: video games and major anxiety
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 04:37:33 AM »
lol the amount of times i was in a chopper gunner going for my nuke on modern warfare 2 and id nearly have a full on panic attack lol, why it took me song long to realise i had an anxiety problem ill never know. things are getting better now though looking forward to black ops 2 im on xbox

Gamertag SCROY001

sell ur ps3 and get an xbox lol

good luck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Evanmw

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »
I remember when my anxiety first started, I couldn't play video games in many situations, like if I was the last one alive in a counter-strike game, my heart would be POUNDING, dizziness/blurred vision would follow, sweating, etc.

You get over it, if you keep doing something enough times and you just battle through it, eventually your Brain chills out.

Unfortunately if it's not one thing it's the other with GED. For instance, after I got over the gaming anxiety, I developed a new worry about chemicals ... I was re-rinsing all cups, and plates before I used them because I worried about ingesting soaps... fun stuff, glad that's over. Had another stage were I was concerned I may be allergic to foods I haven't tried before, or in a long time, ... ...

Looking back on those stages and others, I can see how stupid it all is, and at the time I realised how dumb it was too, but as you all know, the fears seem so real.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jessica92

• Jessica
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 10:51:58 PM »
I have a similar problem. Video games make me feel depressed or anxious if I play too much. If I play for about an hour at a time, it's usually fine & is just relaxing. I would say limiting the time you play could be a good idea. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
- Albus Dumbledore

Offline idleman52

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »
I know i haven't replied to this post in a long time but that anxiety is still there when i try to play a game. I mean as soon as I turn on the system my anxiety starts to rise. All the games I've played in the past almost the whole time I was anxiety ridden. I enjoyed the games I've played but not as good as I could have though. I'm sitting here trying to play the game Bully and it's horrible for me right at the moment. I say to myself, "Now you know this ain't the way it's supposed to be." I keep holding on to my PS3 and every now then I'll buy a new game because one day I'd like to believe that it won't be like it is now and how it has been in the past. Anxiety ruins everything.
Bookmark and Share
"Relax!? You must be crazy!"

Offline MITRush

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »
Hey there, this is something that doesn't get discussed very often, but I think it's important and actually an interesting thing to talk about.

Video games have also given me bad anxiety.  It was interesting, because about a year and a half ago, I was having panic attacks often, then I started playing a video game (an addicting MMORPG), and I stopped having panic attacks, but overall it made my anxiety even worse than it was before.  I became addicted and by the time I quit my anxiety was terrible.  It's hard to completely relax because many video games stimulate your amygdala, which is also stimulated when you are ruminating on negative thoughts.  People with anxiety have larger and very sensitive amygdalas already.

Some learning and problem solving type games might be good, but overall my opinion is video games are not good for anxiety.  I know the suffering we go through on a daily basis, and that video games can provide an escape from it all, but its very easy to play in excess.  I feel about 70% better from three months ago when I stopped playing video games altogether, and I can guarantee I wouldn't be feeling this good if I didn't quit.

Some people say that video games help to focus their mind on something.  Well that's part of my point, because most of my progress in returning to a functional state was learning how to refocus my mind at any given point in time; however, video games can kind of be a crutch in lieu of learning how to refocus your mind even without any particular stimuli.

Part of my anxiety when playing video games (and I don't know if this is true for you) is that I feel like I shouldn't be playing them in the first place.  Again, this is my personal opinion, but I felt like my life was wasting away while I was playing video games, so it created anxiety because we get anxiety when we are not happy with what is.  I had a hard time coming off video games because it's a constant dopamine fix.  Gamers try to refute this by saying, "oh but food and sex increase dopamine."  This is true, but its unlikely for a person to binge on sex and food for as long as one can binge on gaming.  I know people who game for 3-8 hours at a time, or more.

Anyway, I recently did sit down for 45 minutes and played a game a week ago, just to see how it felt, and it didn't heighten my anxiety levels at all really, probably because my overall anxiety is so much lower than it was 3 months ago when I played them constantly.  But my conclusion at the time was that I need to substitute gaming for more relaxing and creative activities.  And if you want to stimulate your brain, something like lumosity is a good substitute for games.

In summary, I would say that if you really feel like video games need to be a part of your life, then quit for a while and come back when your anxiety levels are lower overall.  But my opinion is to substitute video games for other activities that are relaxing to you.  If nothing else relaxes you then that's an even better reason to quit playing for now.

Bookmark and Share

Offline idleman52

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 09:43:56 PM »
I just can't shake this anxiety I have when I play video games. I just bought the new tomb raider for the first time about a month ago. Even though I played through the whole game and beat it, the anxiety was always there. To this day I still can't figure out how I developed this so called fear when I play a game. I've played a lot of games but can I honestly say that I really enjoyed them to the fullest? I don't ever remember having this problem when I was younger. I will eventually get the ps4 at some point in time but I don't want it to be the way it's been in the past though. This has aggravated me for a long time and I just can't make any sense of it. I just don't know anymore. I think I'm slowly losing one of my favorite hobbies.
Bookmark and Share
"Relax!? You must be crazy!"

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 11:56:24 PM »
Playing games often give's me a great distraction ESPECIALLY when I play and talk my my best friends.
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 12:00:07 AM »
Playing games often give's me a great distraction ESPECIALLY when I play and talk my my best friends.
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 02:50:38 AM »
I just can't shake this anxiety I have when I play video games. I just bought the new tomb raider for the first time about a month ago. Even though I played through the whole game and beat it, the anxiety was always there. To this day I still can't figure out how I developed this so called fear when I play a game. I've played a lot of games but can I honestly say that I really enjoyed them to the fullest? I don't ever remember having this problem when I was younger. I will eventually get the ps4 at some point in time but I don't want it to be the way it's been in the past though. This has aggravated me for a long time and I just can't make any sense of it. I just don't know anymore. I think I'm slowly losing one of my favorite hobbies.

Maybe its the kind of game that's the issue? I mean, there are much calmer games. Honestly, if I were to reccomend, I'd say try one of the Disgaea games on PS3. They're turn based and complicated and interesting, with more htan enough to distract you... And the extremes of play are so far above what any reasonable person would do, that you wouldn't feel rushed because no amount of rushing will get you there.  Turn based tactical RPGs that advertise the fact that you can get to level 9,999 with your characters. And it has no real ending. Theres an end to the main story but it just keeps going.

http://youtu.be/ntHRAueqm3E

I dunno, I'm probably missing something, but generally ive never found fast paced games to be calming. Im hoping it can help you out at least some too.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: