Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Bat bites and rabies  (Read 2839 times)

Offline fallofasparrow

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bat bites and rabies
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:35:54 PM »
So I heard somewhere that most cases of rabies in the US are caused by bat bites that people don't notice, and which usually happen while people are sleeping. I just spent the night in a typically unoccupied guest house near a lake, and I recall seeing a bat or two flying through the air the last time I stayed there. Now I'm really worried that there was a bat in the room that bit me while I was sleeping and I'm going to get rabies. I don't have any noticeable marks, other than the red dots that are usually on my skin from stress, but I'm afraid I have an invisible bite. Does this sound irrational? I'm really freaking out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fallofasparrow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bat bites and rabies
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:28:07 PM »
Also, do you think it would hurt if I had one?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:33:45 PM »
sounds to me like your anxious overthinking getting the better of you.

My opinion is that you can allow your BEASTY to take you down this unlikely road and leave you freaked OR you can see this as a lie your anxious over thinking is peddling to you.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline fallofasparrow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:49:37 PM »
That is very true...it's just hard to shake these fears of super-deadly, almost invisible illnesses (the ones I keep coming back to are N. Fowleri, botulism, and now this). I'll try to move on and not think about it, but it's still in the back of my mind...
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »
worry about things that are far more likely

probs with the economy
higher gas prices
impossible healthcare issues
keeping a good job

and be proactive on how you can deal with them should these things affect you.

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline flipperk

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »
That is very true...it's just hard to shake these fears of super-deadly, almost invisible illnesses (the ones I keep coming back to are N. Fowleri, botulism, and now this). I'll try to move on and not think about it, but it's still in the back of my mind...

Fall, I KNOW EXACTLY what you are worried about. I just got over a rabies fear/scare and it is a terrible virus... but you must look at the facts... you did not notice any bite marks... CLUE #1! The CDC considers a bite or scratch that involves no blood drawn as a non-exposure and does not recommend a post-exposure treatment.

Clue #2... only 3 people died last year of Rabies... in statistics form that is .000000001% chance you are going to die from this

Clue #3... Not all animals have rabies, in fact most do not.

I know what you are worried about, when symptoms show it is too late... YOU CANNOT THINK THIS! Anxiety and the Rabies both effect you Neurologically... anxiety will manifest itself into rabies symptoms if you let it... Don't

You are fine, and I am fine...

Just live life like there is no tomorrow... because we are NEVER guaranteed a tomorrow Fall, you are however guaranteed a TODAY... NOW GO AND LIVE TODAY!!

Peace out - Flip
Bookmark and Share
Aviation Professional --- If you have aviation related questions or fears, please feel free to message me.

Offline fallofasparrow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
Flip, you are awesome. My anxiety is up just a wee bit because I found two small pink splotches on my scalp, though one of them might be a mole removal scar. I'm trying to convince myself that if a rabid bat bit my scalp, it probably would have gotten caught in my hair and woken me up, but...I don't know. I know I can't go in for a rabies vaccine because I found two spots on my scalp, but still. It sucks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline flipperk

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »
Flip, you are awesome. My anxiety is up just a wee bit because I found two small pink splotches on my scalp, though one of them might be a mole removal scar. I'm trying to convince myself that if a rabid bat bit my scalp, it probably would have gotten caught in my hair and woken me up, but...I don't know. I know I can't go in for a rabies vaccine because I found two spots on my scalp, but still. It sucks.

You know, I would go and get those spots looked at just in case. If you saw bats in the house you slept in and you feel bites (I must have overlooked that fact in my response) I would go get them looked at. No harm, no foul... it would ease your mind knowing what they are.
Bookmark and Share
Aviation Professional --- If you have aviation related questions or fears, please feel free to message me.

Offline sweetblubrry

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »
I have lived in a house for a year where bats getting in was common. I remember 4-5 separate times when I was studying on my bed and it comes flying this bat from god knows where. When these things get in, they fly like hell around in a circle! The flapping is loud and there is no way you could not hear it when sleeping. They feel trapped so they just continue flying and flying. Trust me you would know if there was one if your room. I also had this get and went to get the shots. But honestly it was probably useless bc the bats were always in my house. I don't think it is possible to sleep and not see or hear it. Even if a person happened to get but you would still find a bat in the house. They somehow can get in but I read somewhere that they do not know how to get out. You would have found it.
Bookmark and Share
Struggled on and off since I was 13 (28 now) with health anxiety and OCD. No therapy. I accept my thoughts and deal with it as it comes. I am also studying to be a nurse (not sure if that's good or bad)

Offline irishonyx33

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:56:59 PM »
Finally...something I have some actual experience in.  :winking0008:

I was actually bitten by a bat while sleeping at my parents a few years ago.  It landed on my head, and I went to brush it away because I thought the fan had blown my hair into my face and it bit me on the finger. Definitely not excruciating, but not something I could have slept through. Then it flew away (loudly) and landed in my suitcase where it stayed until animal control came & got it and sent it in for testing.

I do not think you would have slept through all of three things that had to happen to get bit on the head, and I doubt you would have even slept through one of them. A. Bat lands on head. B. Bat bites head C. Bat flies away (loud flapping wings)

I think you are safe.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fallofasparrow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »

You know, I would go and get those spots looked at just in case. If you saw bats in the house you slept in and you feel bites (I must have overlooked that fact in my response) I would go get them looked at. No harm, no foul... it would ease your mind knowing what they are.

No, no! I should clarify. There were no bats in the house. I have stayed in this house a few times before and I have seen bats flying around the lake outside (the house is about 20 yards in from the water). I looked around after I woke up and couldn't find a bat anywhere. However, I am going to my GP today, and she knows I have HA, so I might ask her to look just in case.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ojaj2005

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
This has already been said but I'm pretty sure that if a bat would have bitten you during your sleep you would have woken up. And there would be no such thing as an invisible bite. At least imo.

However, I have HA and know we are not completely rational at times.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Karl217

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »
Believe me, if an animal bites you you would know it. Recently, I had a rabies scare when my mom's new kitten, which hadn't been vaccinated at the time, got into a fight with my dog and bit me when I tried to break it up. I got worried and googled rabies in humans (big, big mistake) and wouldn't you know it soon started experiencing several symptoms like the hand that got bit tingling, dizzy spells, etc...

I know it was anxiety and me panicking now. 1. That cat also bit my dad when he tried to help me break it up and he didn't experience anything like what I went through. 2. That was two and a half months ago, if the cat had had rabies it would have been dead by now.

Let me repeat what was said earlier, rabies deaths in the US are very, very rare. Most animals don't have rabies. But anxiety and stress will sure make you feel like you do!  ;*)   
Bookmark and Share

Offline ashcole

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 11:19:43 PM »
Don't worry about this lol I'm laughing because this is the very thing that started all of my anxiety i had gotten covered in some stray dogs spit after seeing bats flying outside my house and it has sent me on a roller coaster ride that was 8 months ago and still when i see that word like right now it starts a panic attack it is very unlikely that you should ever have to worry about this particular disease and my best advice is stop now let it go your fine its terrifying i know but dont let it suck you in
Bookmark and Share

Tags: