Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Cant sleep on my left side  (Read 4647 times)

Offline dantescritic

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Cant sleep on my left side
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
  So for the last year or so I have been unable to sleep on my left side. Everytine I do I feel my heart pulsating and it is really starting to bother me. Does anyone else get this and do you think its cause for concern?
Bookmark and Share
Panic Disorder, Hypertension, OCD

Alprazolam 0.5 2x daily
Lexapro 5mg daily

Still struggling

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Cant sleep on my left side
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
I can't sleep on my tummy anymore.  It used to be my fave position years ago.  then I had babies and, of course, with a watermelon in your belly you can't. :winking0008:  After having had babies, sleeping on my stomach makes me feel like I can't get air.  No biggie though.  I just don't sleep on my belly. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »
I can't sleep on my belly, either (but not for same reason as you, Six:) Many, many years ago when I was struggling, mightily, with Panic Disorder (and the soon correlating Cardiophobia), I found that I could feel my heart beating way too much while laying on my stomach. And, when sleeping on ones tummy, our ears are, typically, pressed against the pillow and I could really hear (and feel) my heartbeats in my ear. All this is because we become so fixated on body functions, a lot of the time. To this day, I sleep on my back (or side, sometimes)...still can't fall asleep on my stomach after all these years:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline dantescritic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
Thanks sick but does anyone have heart symptoms that make them unable to sleep? Like i actually feel my heart beating in my left ribcage.
Bookmark and Share

Alprazolam 0.5 2x daily
Lexapro 5mg daily

Still struggling

Offline Sarii83

• What did the grape say when it was stepped on? Nothing - but it let out a little whine.
  • Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »
I get really bad palps/flops when I lay on my left side....yes. Never the right. I'm not sure why this makes my heart flop out of rhythm, but it does on a pretty regular basis. I try not to lay that way even though it usually works itself back into a regular rhythm after a few beats.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »
I feel my heart beating more prominently on my left side, too. I get more PVCs and stuff when i lie on that side, too.

That doesn't mean anything's "wrong" with your heart that you sense these things. The body is just structured that way.

Sometimes when it happens I can ignore it, but sometimes it's irritating and I turn over to another side.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »
I feel my heart beating more prominently on my left side, too. I get more PVCs and stuff when i lie on that side, too.

That doesn't mean anything's "wrong" with your heart that you sense these things. The body is just structured that way.

Sometimes when it happens I can ignore it, but sometimes it's irritating and I turn over to another side.

what vardnas said
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline e77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »
Yes, I too avoid my left side when I sleep because I can feel my heartbeat too much and start fearing heart palpitations which trigger my anxiety.  So I sleep on my right and then turn on my back sometimes when sleeping on the right gets uncomfortable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dantescritic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »
Yes, I too avoid my left side when I sleep because I can feel my heartbeat too much and start fearing heart palpitations which trigger my anxiety.  So I sleep on my right and then turn on my back sometimes when sleeping on the right gets uncomfortable.
Have you had it for a long time E? If so how long?
Bookmark and Share

Alprazolam 0.5 2x daily
Lexapro 5mg daily

Still struggling

Offline e77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
For several years now, although I've had it on and off in the past.  It's like the anxiety gets focused on different thoughts or sensations over the years.  Sometimes I think it moves from my heart to my head(light headed) or to my lungs (not getting a satisfying breath).  I get obsessive about it.  The heart thing is scary to me because these sensations mimic some of the symptoms of heart disease.  I never know for sure and a doctor's reassurance only  lasts for a while before the pattern comes back.  Sometimes I think my brain is not able to suppress the fear producing parts of my brain so I always seek reassurance. Oh well... its good to talk about these things. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: