Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My doctor passed away  (Read 696 times)

Offline jackiec72

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My doctor passed away
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:50:49 PM »
I am having a hard time putting into words how I feel right now but I will try. I have a variety of issues and I see many different doctors. Most recently I have been suffering with my sinuses and went to see my ENT last week. He prescribed antibiotics and steroids. I finished all of it and still don't feel well so I called today to make a follow up appointment and they told me he passed away. He what? I was just there last week. He was 43 years old. I asked. What happened and they said they weren't sure yet. I almost threw up. This man helped me and my family tremendously and was the most caring doctor and person. I am totally devasted by this loss. Having health anxiety and putting faith in doctors is very difficult and when you find one that truly understands and helps, you cherish that relationship. I know there are many people affected by his passing as he truly was a wonderful man. Needless to say this has thrown me into full blown panic mode. I'm having heart palpitations, chest tightness, shortness of breath, dizziness. I just took 2 lorazepam to hold it off a little but I'm afraid to close my eyes because I fear I won't wake up. I keep thinking whatever took my doctor so quickly could easily take me. A week ago he was helping patients and tomorrow he is being buried. I don't know how to cope with this and not send me in the doownward spiral I see coming. Any advice would be a big help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline plomeli

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My doctor passed away
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 01:48:27 AM »
Wow, I can see why you would be feeling the way you are. What a shock and only 43 years old. All I can say is that (the physical symptoms you feel) have happened to me so many times when I hear of someone passing . Just recently a friends son passed at 21 he was in a car accident, and my husbands coworker was shot and killed for no good reason he was 32. I think that death is a scary thing because it doesn't matter what age we are it can happen to anyone and we have no control over it at all. This is what I think I struggle with the most, not knowing "when" it's going to happen but always worried that it's around the corner. What you are experiencing is completely normal until the shock wears off. Maybe you can drop off a really nice card at his practice for his family, just to let them know how much you appreciated him and what a wonderful doctor he was.
Bookmark and Share
Even when difficulties come into our lives, as they do for all humans "know" our great option is to chose love rather than fear.  -Oprah

Online sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:15:53 AM »
that can be jolting.

I remember when my eldest's pediatrician died rather suddenly.  The doc's office didn't even tell me.  I'd call for an appointment and she had an appointment with another doctor in the group.  It was my ob/gyn who told me that her ped  had died.

Several years and another state later, my kids' pediatrician's brother killed himself.  His brother was a doctor too.  I can only imagine how his patients took that news.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 06:47:46 AM »
Great example of how relationship between doctor and patient should work, its really crippling to have someone to help you out, and then, well, lose him..
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:35:48 AM »
I'm so very sorry. That had to come as such a deep shock, and especially because he was so good to you. I know I'd be very shaken if my family doc or psychiatrist died suddenly like that. {HUGS}
Bookmark and Share

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 95
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »
So sorry to hear! Back when my dad was alive, he was the office manager of a fitness club, and their tennis pro died unexpectedly of sudden heart failure while playing a game of basketball. He was 42 at the time. It was very weird answering phones after that (I worked there, too) and explain to people calling in that he'd just die, 'cause like your doctor, he was alive a mere day or week before.

I know it's easy to think that whatever "got" your doctor could just as easily "get" you, but whatever it was, that's VERY unlikely. My condolences, though. Hang in there.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline sad_dad

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:07:49 AM »
My best friend from childhood....I'm talking almost 30 years of friendship....died suddenly last January at the age of 41. He was pretty healthy looking, though he was a Type 1 (childhood) diabetic and had been on insulin almost all the time I'd known him. He had sudden cardiac arrest while driving his car to work, after leaving the gym in the morning, where he had just worked out. Left 2 teenage kids behind. This has greatly affected me the last year since we were so connected. I keep thinking that since he's dead, my death is right around the corner, especially being diabetic myself (though mine is adult onset, Type 2, but I'm on insulin for it). I literally live my life thinking about death all the time. I don't think that would be the case if he had died in a car accident, or by some other accident, but because it's health-related, and was so sudden, I can't help but obsess over it and feel doomed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
saddad: Im so sorry for your loss, losing best friend is very hard !
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Tags: