Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Self-Help Books + Recommendations  (Read 7728 times)

Offline BeatItIn2013

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Self-Help Books + Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »
The Millionaire Mind by Thomas Stanley.  This book is filled with examples of how people from difficult circumstances, academic underachievers, and seemingly ordinary people became fiancially independant.  Don't read it for the "millionaire" title, but for the insight on how financially successful people think, how they cope with adversity, etc.  A great read if you ruminate a lot about your current job circumstances.

Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman.  A bit of a homework exercise but great insight on how to change outlook and stop catastrophizing.

Go to ted.com and search for the audio talk on, "What Fear Can Teach Us" by Karen Thompson.  Superb insight into how our fears drive irrational decisions.

All three of these were recommended by my counselor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Celine1

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »
HI everyone, have not been here in a long time but doing great and want to wish everyone a happy new year!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Celine1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 03:27:12 PM »
Hi Celine, they can just call us the Obitz Ladies. This has been a bit of a needed refresher because I fly from this book to that one, to fiction, to a variety of others.

One of the most enduring Error categories from Obitz is Ignoring the Positive. It doesn't take much for me to slip right back into that nothing mode. Wrong. Error. Analysis: I know where it all came from but I now promptly throw that out and tell myself all I can do and have done. Praises, praises, praises. Hope you make a long list of all your accomplishments and smile at yourself in the mirror.........tina

Hey Tinam7,
I am so sorry I disappeared! I stopped getting notifications and assumed the site died (like some of the previous ones I was on). Just happened to sign in today and saw I had a bunch of old replies. My life is better than ever and I hope yours is too. I don't have much time for posting these days but would love to hear from you and how you are doing if you have time. Oh yeah and I still use my TEA forms and I still check the Obitz performance blog from time to time (he does not update as often as he used to but it is still interesting when he does. TTYS I hope :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »
Hello all. I am about to be without insurance for approx 2 months. I had my initial eval for a therapist and found out about the insurance. I have read a lot on here about cbt, and I think I've found a book that might make a good starter book. Its CBT for Dummies. Does anyone have any experience on this book before I run right out and purchase it?

Thx~
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline Doxie Lover

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »
I'm very much into Louise Hay...this is a more spiritual (but not religious) form of therapy.  She has a gazillion CDs on how to combat stress, anxiety, low self-esteem, etc.  Much of it is positive affirmations and positive thinking, which, for many of us, is an issue and why we have anxiety in the first place.  I realize this suggestion is a bit too new-agey for some people, but my anxiety is caused, in part, by a lot of worry and negative thinking.  I've been like this for so long, it's a hard behavior to break, so I need as much positive affirmation therapy as I can get.

For me, CBT works but only if I am seeing a therapist.  Otherwise, I just go back to my old habits.  A therapist helps you to stay on track, and since I am currently unemployed, a therapist is not an option right now.

I have enjoyed reading the other suggestions and will check them out.

DL
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 08:23:14 AM »
Antiques are lovely, as is this ancient thread. Now I better watch out so I don't contradict myself.

I've seen the CBT for Dummies book and it may speak to you. See if your library has it and any others on CBT. The books people relate to can vary a great deal. For example, I don't usually mention the Obitz book because it can generate criticism, as it did here too before Celine joined in.

Celine, how good of you to notice this thread. The Obitz book remains a foundation but I've built on it and expanded to include daily exercise (various), daily meditation, readings in Buddhism (as a philosophy), and anything of interest concerning the brain. I still have great faith in CBT and self-help, but is there a cure-all? The "Error" categories invariably return. TEA form has evolved into journaling. Worry and negative thinking recur like bad weather. Positive self-talk is always necessary as are forgiveness, acceptance, gratitude to name some suggestions. Thankful for CBT and this site.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sgreens1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 01:30:48 AM »
The books I've been reading aren't focused on depression per se, but they are great for anxiety and learning to be confident. Heres my list of recommendations:

Codependent No More
Daring Greatly
The Gifts of Imperfection (highly recommend this book)
I Thought It Was Just Me but It Isn't
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
"What to say when you talk to yourself" by Shad Helmstetter. Read it a few times ... seems to be hard to find but maybe a local library will have it for anyone interested.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RaichuArcanine

• I hate you HA
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 08:07:31 AM »
I just got "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies" which has been helpful so far! I really enjoy reading it. Going through it highlighting things haha
Bookmark and Share
Never trust Dr.Google! If it was up to google I would be dead!

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
Were you the one asking about self-help books? I could not recall where earlier discussion took place. Here it is and I'm still at it, ha ha.

Have moved on to books about ACT (Acceptance, Commitment Therapy) as well as meditation. Hope you find some helpful suggestions and TY for reminding me of this thread.
Bookmark and Share