Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lump at the back of neck...  (Read 25296 times)

Offline rosslyn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lump at the back of neck...
« on: November 06, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »
So I've found a lump at the back of my neck, slightly left to my spine, and around the hairline. It's firm, painless and doesn't seem to move around. Also it protrudes when I bend my head forwards, but seems to go in with the ligament when I move my head backwards or simply sitting upright.

About two months ago I noticed a similar lump on the back of my knee, which is also quite firm, doesn't move except it goes in and out with the ligament when I extend my legs, although it was painful in the beginning. I went to the doctor, who thought it was a dermafibroma. It went away in about a week.

As we all know, scared... lots of prodding, and I don't even seem to remember whether the lump was always there or it's just appeared! Because my neck was feeling stiff today, so I bent my head forward, that's when I found it.

I'm going to keep it under review and try to see a doctor in a few days. In the meanwhile, if anyone has had this before, please do share.

Bookmark and Share

Offline martyna

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lump at the back of neck...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:30:34 PM »
Hey, I had some sort of a little lump on my neck once... I totally freaked out, but then went travelling, forgot about it and I think it was gone till I got back ... my boyfriend has one of those for years, he says, and he never saw a doctor about it ... he is convinced it's nothing serious and since he has it for so long, I think I believe it too ... I hope someone else will reply too, because it must be worrying ... if it doesn't go away and you can see a doctor, probably you should, at least for me it's the best cure for anxiety ... :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline clohessy9

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:40:30 PM »
I have lumps next to my spine on my neck but they hurt...My neck is always tense and messed up I need a massage!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenniferio

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »
I have a sebaceous cyst there.  If you look closely you may see a tiny black dot in the center.  I got it from wearing a thin chain 24/7. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline rosslyn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 03:09:38 PM »
I have a sebaceous cyst there.  If you look closely you may see a tiny black dot in the center.  I got it from wearing a thin chain 24/7. 

I went to the doctor and he said it was either a lymph node or a sebaceous cyst. I'm still a bit worried though, since there isn't a tiny tip on it and cysts are supposed to be movable. My lump can't be pushed by a finger though it can be pinched by two fingers and then moved around with whatever is underneath.

I also do not have any infections of the scalp that I know of which the lymph node is supposed to drain.

My main concern at the moment is that it can't move around, and haven't gone down a single bit in the last week. What exactly defines movable anyway?

I'm going to get it checked out again, even just to get advice on how to treat it. It's annoying that it's there...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Wishingforcalm2

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 05:06:45 PM »
I have a very hard, raised bump on my toe.  I was certain it was something horrible, because it absolutely does NOT move.  I don't even feel it, so it's painless and hard.  I've had a dermatologist look at it, and my GP and neither even blinked.  It took me weeks to get up the courage to go in because I didn't want them to have to amputate my foot because of what I was sure was a tumor.  But no one seems worried at all.  They couldn't really tell me what it is,  but I just wanted to let you know because I kept repeating that it doesn't move (because that's what I've always heard is a red flag) and they still weren't worried! 
Go figure. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »
I have the exact same thing! And I am almost 100% it is a lympph node. The reason I say this is because for a brief time last year it flared up and got really big (which you can imagine totally freaked me out at the time!) but then went back down and now is almost undetectable. Also...I found two small lumps next to my bust line on my side that had me convinced I had breast cancer. I had those checked out by my dr. and he told me they were lymph nodes! So nothing to worry about :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline rosslyn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 05:32:03 AM »
I have the exact same thing! And I am almost 100% it is a lympph node. The reason I say this is because for a brief time last year it flared up and got really big (which you can imagine totally freaked me out at the time!) but then went back down and now is almost undetectable. Also...I found two small lumps next to my bust line on my side that had me convinced I had breast cancer. I had those checked out by my dr. and he told me they were lymph nodes! So nothing to worry about :)

Hey Chantelle, was your lump on the back of your neck, near the hairline and the vertabrae too? I was told there are occipital lymph nodes there but they drain the head and scalp, but I do not seem to have any infections there. Did you have noticeable infections in your head/ear in the time when your node flared up?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Itzomi

• Rec's: 12
  • PANIC DEVELOPMENT ENTHUSIAST
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I have had a lump in the back of my head where the skull meets my neck off & on for about 20 years.  Probably just a harmless cyst. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline rosslyn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
Hey everyone, update.

So my lump is getting somewhat smaller, which is reassuring. I also told my therapist this when I went to see her, and she told me (she was a nurse before) that not everything you read on the internet is going to correspond to what you have and vice versa, because symptoms and things aren't really textbook. When they say things like 'freely movable' they make it sound like you should be able to move it from your head to toe! Which of course, is not the point. She said she had a cyst at the back of her ear and she can wiggle it a bit with two fingers, which is exactly what I can do, so I'm a bit reassured now.

Also she asked me this: of all the lumps discovered on people across the world, how many do you think turns out to be something of concern?

Well, I think you all know what the answer is. Sometimes it really takes an outsider to ask a simple question like that to get things into perspective. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline rosslyn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 09:11:21 PM »
Further update.

The lump on my left side has gone down somewhat, though at a slower pace than I'd like it to be - meaning that I'd touch it and think, has it gone down? Or has it just stayed the same?

I'd say it's about 1cm large now. It's softer, tender now and no longer feel like a ball, rather has a fatty tissue sort of feeling.

I have also discovered another lump on the exact same place opposite! I first noticed it a week after I had my left lump, and it's small, around 0.5cm, slightly firmer, more like a ball and protrudes more, though it's harder to feel. It hasn't changed much, I think.

My doctor said if the lump doesn't go away in 6 weeks, he'd check it again and it's already been what, four weeks, though I am out of the country and will not return for another 9 weeks. I try not to prod it hard, only gently touch it, but still the obsession is to check it everyday.

Sigh... does anyone think I should get an ultrasound or something, just to be sure? It is rather small, so I'm not sure if the u/s will pick it up.

In any case, I also want to ask, does anyone know whether you should check for lymph nodes while your neck is straight, or while you bend your neck? Is it customary for lymph nodes to be more pronounced and palpatable when you bend your head forwards? because my lumps can't really be felt if I am sitting up straight...

Thanks again. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline DisneyRunner

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »
When my Dr checks mine, she has me sit up straight.  U/S can detect lymph nodes at least according to the U/S tech I talked to last week.  Good luck!  I'm dealing w/lymph node HA right now myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rosslyn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 10:42:55 PM »
Hi DisneyRunner, can your lump be felt when you sit up straight then? How big are yours?

I think it's extra hard for us HA people to overcome fears of something that is actually physical, as in present in its physical form, right? Sigh...
Bookmark and Share

Offline DisneyRunner

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 08:28:32 AM »
You are right!  It's hard to ignore the fact that a lump is there and just say, "Oh it's my HA again." 

Yes, all the ones in my neck can be felt when I sit up straight.  They range in size, most just feel like tiny BB's under my skin.  The lump I'm worried about now is hard and feels like 1/2 a marble.  According to the u/s, it's nothing and I'm fine.  I just wish I could believe it.  Now that is HA for sure. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: