Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Any Christian Hypochondriacs around? I have a question for you guys.  (Read 3357 times)

Offline firebird3428

• Rec's: 1
  • I will overcome this some day!
    • Poke This Member
I'm a Christian (not a strong one) but I just want to know, will God ever try us with our biggest fear? Do you think He'll ever make us suffer with our biggest fear? I remember there's a verse that says that God won't ever test you beyond your limits but some people say that that's not what the verse says. They believe it means that He will test us beyond our strength so we lean on to him more.

Do you pray several times a day that you're not stricken with a disease at the moment or any time in the future?

Am I just a bad Christian because I have had these fears for such a long time and I just can't break them?

I'm just so confused....
Bookmark and Share
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.
-Benjamin Franklin

Offline lincolnsmama7709

• Rec's: 0
  • God give me strength
    • Poke This Member
Re: Any Christian Hypochondriacs around? I have a question for you guys.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
My hypochondria goes against my Christian faith.  I have had some huge losses in my life (already, at the age of 28), and have always had faith and trust in God that there was a reason and purpose for those losses.  However, I can't get my mind around the fact that if I'm meant to have some sickness or disease, that's what God has planned, and I need to accept it.  It's something I'm working on...I equate it with the rational part of my mind knowing that my symptoms are caused by anxiety, but the hypochondria refusing to believe it.

I know people say that God only gives us what we can handle, but I believe that everyone is capable of handling much more than they think they can.  My mom died when I was 20...I truly believed that I couldn't live without her, but here I am 8 years later with a family of my own, living a happy life (except for my anxiety).
Bookmark and Share

Offline firebird3428

• I will overcome this some day!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:02:36 PM »
That's exactly how I think too. If I ever get sick I would never accept it, I would blame God like I am doing now. I haven't had any loses in my life Thank God but I feel so scared something will happen to me. I wouldn't be able to accept it. I just wouldn't.
Bookmark and Share
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.
-Benjamin Franklin

Offline texasgirlie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »
I've been through quite the medical rollercoaster over the past few months. I wasn't raised in a very stable household so I believe that my hypochondria is a result of my fear to lose control. I have a fear of dying at a young age and a fear of becoming ill because they are things that I simply can't foresee, prevent, or control, and that scares me. It may run deeper than that but I'm sure I'll explore that in therapy. In any case, I've cursed God, told him I hated him, etc. I've also begged him to fix me, and to heal me, and to make this all just go away. I had a little talk with God and asked him to please make this better but really, maybe he is trying and I'm not listening. My doctor prescribed me medicines that could help me but I don't take them. My dad bought a new treadmill, but I'm not running on it. My insurance is extended until I'm 26, so I can have cheap medicine and check-ups, but I don't think about it. :(

HA makes it hard to believe sometimes.  :traurig001:

Bookmark and Share

Offline Ravens Lady

• Rec's: 42
  • As a Lady thinks, so she is.....
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »
I'm a Christian (not a strong one) but I just want to know, will God ever try us with our biggest fear? Do you think He'll ever make us suffer with our biggest fear? I remember there's a verse that says that God won't ever test you beyond your limits but some people say that that's not what the verse says. They believe it means that He will test us beyond our strength so we lean on to him more.

Do you pray several times a day that you're not stricken with a disease at the moment or any time in the future?

Am I just a bad Christian because I have had these fears for such a long time and I just can't break them?

I'm just so confused....

I just want to let you know that some of my beliefs have shifted in the last years concerning these types of things, and my views may differ slightly than others in the Christian community (so please keep that in mind) but I would say....

You shouldn't feel guilty for feeling anxious.  The truth is that many of us were born with predispositions towards mental health issues, OCD, and those sorts of things and although we CAN ultimately change the way we think, some of us were not given an easy deck of cards to start out with (and I mean brain chemistry and the environments we were put in).  I remember feeling so guilty in the past when I couldn't *kick* my fears and anxieties... as a teenager I sometimes felt guilty that I didn't have the 'peace' I was supposed to and I remember being on church retreats feeling just awful, terrible so filled with anxiety, and feeling MORE anxious because when I prayed it wouldn't go away... I felt that it was a reflection upon me.  But now i wish I could go back to that girl and explain that she had it wrong... and that she shouldn't worry about the fact peace seemed elusive. 

If you want to strive to rest in peace and rid yourself of fears, that's okay I think...  but I don't think you should feel guilty about being anxious about your health.  Instead you should put that energy into striving to get yourself well, mind, body, and spirit... without a guilt trip if you know what I mean.

Bookmark and Share

Offline JER2911

• Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
  • Rec's: 27
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »
I am a christian.  I have a severe case of HA.

I used to struggle with thinking that because I have anxiety and HA, that I didn't have enough faith.
However, I have come to realize, that anxiety and HA are a disease like any other disease.
You would not feel guilty if you had a cardiac issue, or a lung issue, or any other issue that could be diagnosed and treated with medication.
HA/anxiety.OCD/depression  is a chemical imbalance in the brain.  It is a real disorder.  It should be treated as such. 
Just like you would treat your high blood pressure with meds and exercise..we need to treat our HA with meds and therapy.
I do pray all the time, that I get to see my kids grow up and I pray that I will be healthy.
But, I also pray that, if I am faced with my biggest fear, that my faith remains strong and I let Jesus walk me through it.  I won't understand it and I won't have to like it..but, I will have to accept it.
A verse that helps me a lot ( which is my screen name by the way) is,
 Jeremiah 29:11  "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare[a] and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Hope this helps you a little.
Bookmark and Share
Matthew 6:27  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

Offline ms anxiety

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:54:46 PM »
i personally really struggle with religion. sometimes i think people invented religion to make themselves feel better about dying and explain our purpose here on earth.

i actually thought if i could only 100% believe in God, i would get past this whole health anxiety thing. it is interesting to me that there are so many people here who DO believe but still are scared regarding their health.

i have spent a bunch of time on the als message boards. yesterday i was crying my eyes out reading stories of wonderful people who had als and passed away. it literally broke my heart. they didn't deserve this. i struggle SO MUCH with the fact that life is not fair. when i think about children with cancer or people starving and oppressed in other parts of the world, it makes me SO SAD.

i actually think i have such bad health anxiety bc i sometimes think there is nothing when we die. as HORRIBLE and as SELFISH as it sounds- i cant imagine myself not existing. i feel like if i really believed in a heaven i would have so much more peace. i am so envious of people who have such strong faith. i WISH that could be me.

(by the way, jer i loved hearing about your username)
Bookmark and Share

Offline JER2911

• Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 11:19:15 PM »
Ms Anxiety,

You are right, there are so many things in this world that are horrible and that are not fair.
I don't claim to understand.  But, to me, having faith doesn't mean that you don't' have questions.
Its just having faith that, one day, there will be an end to all this suffering.
I do believe that when I die, I will be with Jesus, in heaven.
I don't really worry about myself dying..I struggle with the thought of the ones I'll leave behind. My sweet precious daughters.  I don't want them to grow up without a mother.  That's what I fear.

But, I am very slowly, but surely, starting to understand that, even if that does happen, I still have to remain in trust that my girls will be okay, God will take care of them.  They are his children too. 
I think that we try to control to much and part of our lesson from this is to understand that we are not the ones in control.  I know that I need to learn how to let go.

However, like I said, I also believe it has to be treated like any other disease..with medication and therapy if need be..

Anyways, thats my thoughts, for what its worth  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Prezwilson15

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »
I've strugged with my faith and anxiety up until this most recent battle with health anxiety.  I finally got to the point (with wise counsel from my mother) that my anxiety is a disease just like any other and it's no reflection of not having enough faith.  In fact, she said that God gave us people to help us overcome it with medication, counseling, etc.  So I've recently relented and have gone back on medication.

Faith is a tricky thing and I even struggle with the question of what really happens when we die.  This question (I believe) is the root cause of my health anxiety.  At some point, we have to just give up wanting to know the answer and hope that something better lies ahead.  My mother, who works in intensive care as a nurse, sees dealth more often than she probably wishes to.  She's got the strongest faith around and her belief is there has to be something better than this world.

So, I'm doing the deep faith work so I can get there too.  It's not easy to dig deep.  In fact, it's downright scary.  But it has to be done in order to grow. 

Everything is a learning experience, even this awful health anxiety.

Paula
Bookmark and Share

Offline mominpanic

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
I am a Christian even though I don't go to church on a regular basis.  I do, however, pray almost daily for my health and the health of my loved ones, and I pray to keep me free from disease, etc.  My HA pretty much started a couple years ago; my biggest fear is cancer.  I always had a nagging feeling that God was going to test me somehow with regard to cancer, and I was right.

I won't go into any detail because I don't want to scare anyone.  You can read back over my posts if you like.  I have been lurking lately and not posting because like I said I don't want to scare anyone, but there has been a lot going on with me in the last 2-3 weeks that I have not posted.  If anyone is curious, I would be happy to share via PM.

The bad news = I have been diagnosed with cancer, my worst fear.  The good news = The doctors and everyone I have talked to said I will be just fine. I am trying my best to believe this.  At the same time, my faith in doctors has been a little shaken some throughout this ordeal.

So, yes, in my mind, I believe that God has given me this for a reason.  My kind of cancer is very curable, so I have to believe that He has challenged me with this to help strengthen me through Him and strengthen my faith.  I also believe that He is testing me with this to help conquer my HA. 

That being said, obviously every Christian out there with HA isn't "tested" this way, so it's easy to say "Why me?"  I know even after this is over I have a battle ahead of my to get my HA under control.  I am curious to see how this will ultimately affect my HA. 
Bookmark and Share
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones - Proverbs 17:22

Offline ivyt73

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
Really good thread you guys.  I am a christian too and I struggle so much with letting go and trusting God to take care of my HA and my pretty huge fear of death.  Jer - your post was really insightful and helpful.  I used to worry a lot about leaving my daughter behind but it helps that she is fifteen now and doesn't need me as much but at the same time I am getting older too.  I can get myself so worked up about death that I will literally get into a panic in seconds.  I pray at night for God to give me peace and trust that it is all going to be okay and I know He wants me to have that peace.  So many times in the Bible, the Lord says fear not, be not afraid, fret not, etc. so I know he knows that we are fearful people and wants us to trust him and not worry. 

I think those of us with HA and faith expect that are faith will just cancel out the HA but unfortunately like so many other posters have said it is a disorder of the brain just like any other disorder and not something that we can just not have so easily...but that being said the only true thing that I have to calm me is my faith that everything is exactly perfect and as it should be because God gave me this life as it is. 

Thanks again for the good thread.

Ivy :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Southerngirl

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
I am new here. I have struggled with crippling HA for a good bit of my life. I'm almost 37.  I say "crippling" because it has affected every area of my life. It's caused me to fail as a mother, wife, and in my career. It's an area in my life that I feel has "won". It leaves for a time, but always sneaks back when I'm least expecting it. I've received counseling and meds, both of which help for the time being. I still have bad days. Days that make me want to crawl in a hole and just worry with trembling fear of which deadly disease I will have next. I hope someone out there can understand this: when I fear...it's not just fear, it's that I "know" I am going to be diagnosed. All the symptoms are there. It is the scariest feeling ever.
I am a Christian and I long to have a close relationship to the Lord. However, my fear prevents me from being the person I should be. JER2911's words have encouraged me. I, too, am not afraid of the death part. It's those I leave behind; my precious babies that I love so dearly. I am selfish and want to watch them grow. I also want the Lord to use me for his use. I quote bible verses, I TRY to pray about it, but mostly I just shut down. It prevents me from being social. I don't like to talk to people when I'm suffering....they may see it. I've never asked God to take my HA away. I don't think that's his will. BUT...how can all this suffering be His will?
I'm commenting on an old post because I love what JER2911 has said. I hope she is still on here..... I'm so tired of suffering. Fear controls me and every aspect of my life. It engulfs me and keeps me from living. Is there any help out there? Do I have what it takes to get well? Will I ever overcome this? I hope...

Glad to have others to read about
Southerngirl 

I am a christian.  I have a severe case of HA.

I used to struggle with thinking that because I have anxiety and HA, that I didn't have enough faith.
However, I have come to realize, that anxiety and HA are a disease like any other disease.
You would not feel guilty if you had a cardiac issue, or a lung issue, or any other issue that could be diagnosed and treated with medication.
HA/anxiety.OCD/depression  is a chemical imbalance in the brain.  It is a real disorder.  It should be treated as such. 
Just like you would treat your high blood pressure with meds and exercise..we need to treat our HA with meds and therapy.
I do pray all the time, that I get to see my kids grow up and I pray that I will be healthy.
But, I also pray that, if I am faced with my biggest fear, that my faith remains strong and I let Jesus walk me through it.  I won't understand it and I won't have to like it..but, I will have to accept it.
A verse that helps me a lot ( which is my screen name by the way) is,
 Jeremiah 29:11  "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare[a] and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Hope this helps you a little.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »
Good thread.  I am a Christian and I also suffer from HA.

My faith is what has helped me through my HA and I rely on God for many things. 

I am one of the people that believes that God will allow things beyond your ability to handle them, so you will lean on Him.  My mother's disease and eventual death was one of those things.  I look back now and know that in my own strength I would never have been able to do through that.  I was given what I could handle each day and what I couldn't, He handled it. 

I know there are Christians and churches out there that make people like us feel bad because worry is a sin and we aren't trusting God.  The thing is, everyone in the Bible worried at one time or another.  Jesus was troubled in his spirit, Paul had his thorn in the flesh.  Read the Psalms, they are one big journal of David's fears and problems. 

But what these people did that I sometimes lack is realize that God has a plan and everything unfolds the way its supposed to.  It seems overly simplistic, but it really isn't.  Its very very complicated.

To the people that wonder if religion was created so people don't have to worry about death, as someone who has walked through the valley of the shadow and all that, no made up man-made religion has the ability to do what Christ did for me during that time.  It just doesn't.

I don't judge anyone in their disease and anxiety is an illness.  I've people that have it to pathological levels and its scary.  Its an evil in this fallen world that we have to deal with.

Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline JER2911

Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »
First of all...Coldhands!! That post was awesome  :)

Hi southergirl,

I completely understand where you are right now.  I've so been there.  Thank you for letting me know that something I said helped you.  That's why I stay around here.   I'm at a point in my life now where I've made peace with my anxiety/HA.

I still have "moments" that come and try to steal my peace, but I don't let it take hold anymore.

I think that what helped me the most is I got MAD.

I was MAD that HA was causing me to not be the woman of God, mother, wife, sister, daughter, that I was created to be.
I was MAD that HA had stolen so many moments, opportunities, memories.

I always laid it all out on the table with God.  He knew my doubts, my fears, my struggles.   I think that he knows our hearts.  He knows what is going through our minds in our deepest moments of fear.  He doesn't expect us to never have fear, but he does expect us to reach out to him.

I finally accepted that, YES I will die one day.  Whether I die from one of my biggest HA fears, or I get hit by a bus...the fact remains I'm going to die.   I can not control that.  BUT, what I can control is how I live all the days in between.

I also thought of my daughters, and of course I love them SO much and want to see them grow up.   But, guess what THEY ARE GROWING UP...right now!!  And all this time that I wasted not really "being there" with them, was time that was given to me to watch them grow.  I refused to miss anymore of that....

Once we accept that we don't and can't have "control" over the day we die, we can release the false thinking that tells us.."if I just stay on top of these symptoms, I'll be able to keep anything really bad from happening".

That is a "false" statement.  We can't control that.   Being that you are a believer, you know that if it's God's will, whether you are diagnosed with Stage 1 or Stage 4 cancer...you live, or die, according to his will.   So why fool ourselves into thinking otherwise?

Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't take care of yourself and be healthy, eat healthy, exercise, etc.  I believe we should do what's in our power (our part) at taking care of our bodies...but beyond that, we can't do anything.  Let it go.  :)

Anyways, I know I babbled a lot.  But, I just wanted you to know that I'm here.  PM me if you need to talk.  And know that there is hope.  I haven't had a major HA episode in almost 2 years.   I'm just not going to let it steal my life anymore :)

Oh and as far as the original poster saying that they have heard that "God doesn't give us more than we can handle"....I believe that verse means "more than we can handle, WITHOUT HIM".  WITH him, we can handle any situation given to us.

Merry Christmas!!! I hope you allow yourself to enjoy this season :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »
You are welcome!

Your post is spot on about you can't control what will happen to you.  My Mother lived through cancer TWICE, heart disease, liver disease and ended up dying of a rate neurological disease.  So you can never tell what is going to happen

Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Tags: JER2911