Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of brain eating. amoebas.  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Scaredinmt

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of brain eating. amoebas.
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:54:16 AM »
Sorry if this puts the fear in anyone else but it is something really bad that i'm dealing with at the moment I spend most of my time on the internet because i've been laid up with pain and anxeity for the past 5 months. Recently I came across the brain eating amoeba news (although i had heard of it before) And i messed up big this time. I haven't visited any bodies of water or gone swimming, but i have used my neti-pot which one guy in louisiana got his infection after using it. Of course this is the perfect thing for me to latch onto 98 % death rate, very rare. and I only latched onto it because i use my netipot with tap water like he did. I just need some reassurance that this nasty little critter is not going to get me. It's a week out from using the netipot so incubation wise i still have 7 days to contract it and I just worked myself up so bad this afternoon that i almost started crying and felt like i was going to pass out. And then being stupid and trying to check myself for signs of meningitis i bent my neck back and forth and pulled a neck muscle.... So of course now my neck is stiff and hurts :( I'm absolutley terrified this will be the end of me. I live in montana where there have been no reported cases but still :( a little reasuurance or some stories about things you absolutley obsessed over and it turned out fine would be nice. As for most my pain i do not believe it is anxeity related as i have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia at this point. But i'm still pretty obsessed about anything that comes along. i'm 20 and just started zoloft again 3 days ago as well i see ac ounselor once a week. *crosses fingers that brain eating amoeba won't hit me or at least will find nothing their to eat!*
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 205
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of brain eating. amoebas.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:09:43 AM »
oh the internet can put so much junk in our heads.

I'm thinking this is just BEASTY playing with you.  Don't let him win. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Wishingforcalm2

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 07:20:51 AM »
I read about the brain eating amoebae too, but I never heard anyone say someone got it from using a neti-pot.  I thought it was supposed to come from dirty water supply, not drinking water.  Plus, i thought it was more dangerous for little kids than adults.  I'm gonna go look some stuff up for you (famous last words!) and maybe I can find something out to reasure you. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Wishingforcalm2

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:39:44 AM »
Okay, reading all that is going to make me flip out too.  I was first going to say that the warm and stagnant water is where it's found so don't worry....but the man did use that neti-pot! My only guess is that his house is on well water or something else.  The one piece of good news is that you would be dead within two weeks, so definitely sick by now.  Everything I read said people become violently ill within a week.  I think you're good. 
And from now on, boil the water before you put it in the neti-pot!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sandra01

• Rec's: 20
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 01:35:12 PM »
Brain Eating amoebas are EXTREMELY rare. And it is even more rare to get it through a neti-pod.  You are already realizing that your fears is unreasonable by stating that you go to the therapy.

On another note usually people die on meningitis because doctors don't check until it's too late according a recent report I have read about those brain eating amoebas. Note, they found it in the guys tapwater when they tested it. Should you have any symptoms you can tell them to check for meningitis and get help. Normally people don't know they could be exposed.

If you had meningitis symptoms you would ask the doctor about that.

And give yourself a break. You didn't mess up big time. You just looked up something what scared you. You weren't stupid you were just checking. So what?

Anxiety, Muscle Pain and Depression are often symptoms of a Vitamin D defficiency. If I was you I would get outside and get some sunlight 20 minutes a day without sunlotion. Then I would take some fishoil and I would force myself to go to work despite the pain, the fear and the depression. Trust me you would feel accomplished and feel better soon. It definitely would get your mind off things. Instead of having to care for you you would care about other things and therefore have a little control over things you could actually have control over.
Bookmark and Share
There Can Never Be A More Beautiful You...
Jonny Diaz

Offline Ravens Lady

• Rec's: 42
  • As a Lady thinks, so she is.....
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:39:24 PM »
I saw that story in the headlines.  As soon as I saw it, I just moved right past it.  No way I'm clicking on that link.  I'm sure its rare.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredinmt

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
Thank you, for the replies. I guess i'll just have to live the next 7 days to the fullest either way! After this one though i'm pretty damn sure i'm blocking google from my browser. and medical sites. and news sites. Sandra I do have a vitamin deficiancy but i wasn't aware i could go through this much pain and it just be caused by that. ( I have been trying to get an hour exercise and at least 10-30 minutes in the sun daily). I had a car accident in feburary and a lower back injury in january (Picked up the anxeity disorder from the car accident) And the only two things we have found was my vitamin d levels are at 33 (Ref. 30-100) and that i have an annular tear in my L5-S1 vertebre, and two bulging discs in my cervical spine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline messedupmama

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
I wish I could give you great wrods of advice but honestly I have been on this fear for awhile now and they are way more prevalent where I am from then your home. I contacted water management here and you can request your water to be tested so maybe call your local branch and see? Good luck! You are not alone!
Bookmark and Share

Offline EmmaLee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 07:57:33 PM »
I have been having panic attacks for the past 12 days over this, I read the news about this literally the day after swimming in a very warm pool in Palm Springs (water was 94 degrees, air was 112). I was convinced I was going to die, and thought about it so much i actually started to feel all the symptoms (which i had dutifully googled of cours). Only now am i starting to feel better since its been so long and studies say it doesnt appear after 14 days. But man what a scare. Im going to have to force myself to go back in the pool next weekend when we are back there just to help get over it, I dont want to live my life scared to go in a freaking pool.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredinmt

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
Pools are not worrisome if they are properally chlorinated. And yea i developed some symptoms too, I'm on day 9 now. I actually strained a neck muscle checking for stiff neck.... (Boy i feel dumb about that one). And it still hurts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline miika

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »
wow, what is this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline EmmaLee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 07:40:18 PM »
I know pools arent considered worriesome, and my in-laws pool is spectacularly maintained BUT there is a fish pond about 4 feet away from the pool that is stagnent and warm. So getting the idea that some could have floated over to the pool while the pool fountain was off at night scares the heck out of me. doesnt matter if its a 1 in 10,000,000 chance, i constantly think i could be  that one! But thankfully its day 14 for me now and I am alive and no longer having my stiff neck and mild fever that i self induced. I never knew my mind was powerful enough to induce a stiff neck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredinmt

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »
Well i'm quite happy to hear that you are doing better now then :) And if the pool has any chlorine at all it would immediatly kill the amoeba, so for future referance swim happily :) As for the stiff neck idk I caused mine by moving my head back and forth to check for it :) But they say the mind and anxeity can cause any symptom of anything if you're afraid, obsess about it enough. Gentle hugs and i hope after this experience things look better.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: