Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bump in my mouth? Why do I do this??  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Avonlea.

• Rec's: 0
  • Fight It
    • Poke This Member
Bump in my mouth? Why do I do this??
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »
I hate that I just LOOK for something wrong with myself.

I have this soft little lump on the right side of my mouth (near the front) where the cheek meets the gum. I don't have one on the other side. I feel zero pain when I go over it. I just can't help but feeling that it's the start of something very bad.

I smoke. I've only been for about a year. I'm in the process of quitting but I'm pretty sure the damage is already done. I'm not googling anything (that's a step, right?). I look in the mirror and I can't see anything. But there is a feel-able bump there.

I have a Dr. appt at the end of this month and a dentist appt middle of next month. I just need reassurance that I'm ok until then. Please, someone talk sense into me. I can't stop obsessing over this.

ETA: I'm only 21. It's so not likely for a person to get oral cancer at 21 for smoking a year, right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ms anxiety

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bump in my mouth? Why do I do this??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »
i do that too...i look for something until i find one little thing thats wrong and then obsess about it. (i am currently doing it with this pinky thing that i have decided may mean i have als.) you will be fine until your doc appts. somewhere a small %  inside yourself knows its not rational.

((((hugs))))
Bookmark and Share

Offline epiphone15

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 12:39:08 AM »
All I can say is that it's very very very unlikely you got oral cancer from 1 year of smoking. Hell, even 10 years of smoking probably wouldn't give you oral cancer (though, of course, I don't recommend smoking for 10 years).

The mouth is, uh, a pretty weird place. I have fleshy bumps here and there. Ive had them forever and my dentist never said a word about them. Don't worry about this at all: you're fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline smmaho

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:50:25 AM »
I have recently been through the same fear as you. I've got 3 lumps in my mouth. Some are always there and one comes and goes. I've had2 different drs look at them and feel them. Both said they are completely harmless and are like salivary ducts. Try not to stress I'm sure there is nothing wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:10:26 AM »
Mostly everyone gets little bumps or sores in their mouth area at one time or another.
They come from the food we eat or what we drink, excess stomach acid and the list goes on.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: