Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My story - How i beat my many Anxiety Disorders  (Read 54102 times)

Offline candice

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My story - How i beat my many Anxiety Disorders
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
I'm so very happy for you finding peace with your anxiety :)  This post is wonderfully positive and helps others to know that they can find peace as well.  Thank you for that!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AriannaKay

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »
This is such an encouraging post! Thanks so much for writing all this. :) It gives me hope that anxiety can be fought and taken care of.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Always@night

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 06:04:17 AM »
I really like how you said, "you thought your way into this, you can think your way out!"  That is awesome advice, it made me cry and have some hope!  Thank you for sharing!
Bookmark and Share

Offline msaurabh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 01:25:49 PM »
ths has been the case with me too. i also had serious anxiety that resulted when i started my job. u got to say that no one can beat anxiety bt for sure u can manage it. congratulations to u and hopefully all other members will one day be writing ths posts
Bookmark and Share

Offline danilee4me

• There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • LIFE IS GOOD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »
I thought this story was my own. Holy cow!  Except I'm a female and 28. I've just recently had this revelation that it really is all in your head and that everything's going to be ok no matter how bad your physical symptoms may feel. Thanks for sharing!!
Bookmark and Share
I am not afraid!

Offline positivity

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 07:36:01 AM »
Hi everyone....

My first post here.

I feel that I owe this board and the Internet in general an account of my story.

I suffered very similar to many of you on here. All the usual things, light headed ALL THE TIME, worried feeling, tingling in the face and extremities and all the other usual things that many on here have...wont go into all symptoms and background, because all very similar to everyone in this thread. . Did all the usual things, MRI, heart scans and tests, balance and ear tests, lung xrays, throat examination, everything you can think of and all ruled out at that point.

The reason I want to post is that I saved this thread in my favourites, and during particularly bad times, I just opened and read it...it is that light at the end of the tunnel you need.

I used to Google symptoms and look for answers and play games with myself really. Which made things worse. Each and every time, but I didn't learn straight away and felt I needed to continue doing it at first. My symptoms at their extreme lasted 3-4 months.

My main advice, is don't stop yourself doing things. It is a vicious cycle.

Experiment with yourself....think to yourself, ok, if I do xxxxx I will get dizzy or light headed...and then when you inevitability do, you can think to yourself - Perfect, that is what is supposed to happen. Then next time think to yourself, oh no, what if I get light headed if I do XXXX, then when you do, keep thinking to yourself, OH NO...WHY AM I LIGHTHAEDED??? Dwell on it...then see if it gets worse...then think oh no...what if I have xxxxx. Then see if it gets worse....

Now compare the two experiences....you will see that when you make yourself think it is normal, and let it happen, and accept it, then you don't actually get into that cycle....the more that you sit and think OH NO...etc etc etc, the worse it feels.

For me, I was light headed all the time, but there were certain triggers, which made it worse, e.g. supermarkets. So when I walked in, I guess could be due to bright lighting, it would hit me, and the symptoms were worse. So I experimented with the above two scenarios, two consecutive times I walked in...first time, I would think oh no, why is this happening, could something be wrong etc...the usual.

Second time I would prepare myself before walking in, and think, OK, when I walk in, I will get light headed...but that is normal, and then I need milk, juice, etc. So when walking in, it hit me, I thought, ok great, that is what I expected, then thought about products I needed. These are small steps, but eventually, you will learn to forget it....

The fact is when any person walks into a supermarket, we all need the moment of adjustment to the new atmosphere, i.e. bright lights, hustle and bustle. Most people will adjust in a millisecond, whereas someone suffering the symptoms will dwell and hence get into that cycle.

It is important to remember in fact we are all the same, but our mind is in control.

This used to scare me, and sometimes still does. But believe me, the fact that we can think of these things, shows there is nothing wrong with us...we are normal...but over think things. So just get on with life. And I used to hate when people said that to me...it used to really frustrate me, as in they don't understand me. They have no idea. Obviously I didn't want to be like this, they think its my choice!?

but honestly, what you need to do, is take small steps as the original post says. Think about setting yourself small goals. The small wins will get you to the bigger goal.

I read so many familiar stories on here. Which bought some hope.

But nobody posts when recovered. Like me, I don't want to come on here when over it because brings memories back...even now I am feeling slightly light headed...but it does not concern me as much, I know it happens to everyone, it really does, and it will pass. Everyone will have a  spell of it every single day. Those of us who dwelled on it will feel it and the cycle kicks in...those of us who think of other things, will handle it better.

What frustrated me, on here I used to hear so many stories, but not many of recovered people, so I felt once you have it that is it, you have it for life. Many people on here saying we have had it 5 yrs, 10 yrs, 20 yrs, etc. But not many saying had it few months and over it....the kind of personalities of people who suffer periods of it, often may be worriers, maybe superstitious, maybe worried to boast they are over it, in fear of it coming back...hence the ydont want to even enter a forum about anxiety when they are over it...well I am the same. and certainly this is not a boast. Just want to give some hope to all those out there. It is not permanent. It is not a CONDITION. It is not an illness. It is just a CYCLE, a period in your life. You will overcome it. Believe me. Just take small steps. Stay away from GOOGLE. I made a deal with friends and family, I would not go on Google. And then again, experiment with yourselves. Make notes, make a worry / anxiety diary, with a scale of worry out of 10:

e.g...worried about XXXX (3/10)- went on google to resarch - made me feel XXXX (8/10)-

next time...

worried about xxxx (3/10) - went to the fridge and grabbed a drink, and thought about what could be on tv tongiht (2/10)

just to prove to yourself what your feelings and actions are and how they actually interact with each other...this taught me stay away from Google!

This I believe is also how CBT works...I did have a few short sessions, and that can help....at first reluctant to do it, because feared that would mean I have mental health issue, and something wrong with me...didnt want to admit that...but in fact this is not a MENTAL HEALTH issue....it is a normal everyday thing, it is something everybody deals with one way or the other. Just those that dwell make it worse.

So come on all, lets get some positivity going, and lets take these small steps....also step away from this forum....sorry to say it...maybe bookmark a thread or two to give you that light...but don't keep looking for problems...internet is awful for this. Go to your doctor of course f you need to...but don't go to Google.

Hope this helps....even if one person is benefited I will be happy.

best wishes to all!!

(sorry about the unstructured way I wrote this, but of a hash of all my thoughts!)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: