Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What good things have come since having anxiety  (Read 3909 times)

Offline camel

• Rec's: 83
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Re: What good things have come since having anxiety
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »
That is great babybu :D

NC, that is so awesome that you have become proactive in your own recovery. You are definitely on the right track. Keep it up :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
This is a really interesting thread in line with my approach from CBT: turn the negatives I was conditioned to into positives. So we can find the good things and throw out the bad.

Want to add that Yoga has come into its own more than ever with more men in the classes I go to. Always want to go over and congratulate them but manage to control myself, ha ha.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cutecat25

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 12:38:33 AM »
Even though I tell my anxiety often how much I hate it and want it gone, I know it has taught me a lot. Especially over this past year.

It has taught me just how strong I am. When  I look back I can't believe everything I have gone through. If I had known what was ahead before all of this I would have given up then and there.

I have always been a spiritual person, but anxiety has truly allowed me to turn towards my spiritual side on a much deeper level.
Positive quotes and prayer have helped me in so many ways, and I know they will be a big part of the rest of my life.

I have met so many great people on this site, and online who are going through some sort of anxiety disorder.
My relationship with them has become closer than that of any of my family, friends who aren't online.
I have learnt so much from them, and I know the relationships I have formed will also be part of me forever :)

I have a new found appreciation for life, that no one could possibly have unless they have been through something lifechanging.
Back then, a good day for me would be spending time with friends, spending money, having fun.
A good day for me now, is being able to go for a walk around the block with my panic at a minimum, to be able to go somewhere without taking a benzo, or to be able to be able to pull myself out of scary, negative thoughts and depression and feel a glimpse of hope and positivity about the future.
When I overcome my disorder, and learn to control my anxiety, it will be the little things I will cherish in life. Fresh air, true friends, laughter, smiling, there's so many things I took for granted before.

Overall, though my anxiety has been the most horrible, dark, scary thing I have had to go through in my life, I will always be grateful for all the lessons it has taught me, and everything I have gained from it.
Bookmark and Share
Check out my Anxiety And Depression Youtube Channel:

http://youtu.be/yohg_juVlZg

Offline LivingLife

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 04:44:07 AM »
Mine actually have been pretty drastic, though when I'm feeling anxious I always tend to look at the negative side, good topic this is a great way of realizing that everything might just happen for a reason.
1. I lost 35 pounds (190-->155). I used to eat whatever and whenever I wanted. Though I was never really fat my friends would always make jokes about me dying of a heart attack when I'm 30 cause I literally ate a big mac meal and soda every day. I've never dieted this well for this long since my first panic attack
2. I got one of my courses dropped from an F to a Withdrawel because of the panic attacks, so that helped my GPA. I also changed my major and for the first time since my freshman yr took easy courses this semester because I didn't want to become over stressed and so far I've got all A's in my classes.
3. I learned to lift weights and do cardio for health and fitness, where as I used to only do power lifting and cared about trying to look like mark henry lol
4. I eat fruits 4 times a day, where as I probably ate 4 fruits all of last yr.
5. I stopped drinking and smoking completely, I was only a weekend smoker (Weed and hookah) and drinker.
6. I learned to enjoy some of the finer things in life
7. I have a much more sympathetic view for others, especially ones dealing with a mental disorder.
8. I opened up to my parents and told them about everything in my life, I used keep everything from them and inside me.
9. I have a much closer and better relationship with my sister, which I never had before.
10. I became a lottt better at basketball since I lost the weight (basketball has always been a love of mine)
11. And most important, I can see a 6 pack for the first time in my life haha
Bookmark and Share

Offline camel

• Rec's: 83
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:37 AM »
Livinglife, thanks for replying

Those are some drastic and amazing changes. Great job!!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 07:56:21 AM »
That is indeed an impressive list of accomplishments. Congratulations.

Make exercise your hobby and you've got it made. It works the mind as much as the body. For the six-pack I try to do daily sit ups and a series of leg exercises such as leg lifts, circles, swimming, scissors, elbow to knee. Crunches on a fit-ball are good too. Get the body in shape and the mind perks up, that mind-body connection revives. Read about Joseph Pilates and anyone can be inspired.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »
This is a great thread... While often times we think so negatively about anxiety... It is a hard wire primative response in our brains...  Scary as hell to us YES! However with that said a lot of good has come to me from my 1st panic attack till now.
1. I have learned to slow down and not work so much ( This is what worked me into my first attack {Chronic sleep derivation and Red Bull}).
2. I have a lot more empathy and am more tolerant towards people.
3 I have began to look down new career paths in the mental health field
4. I have made some great friends whom understand anxiety / OCD / Depression
5. I've been able to do a lot of introspective thinking
6. I have an appreciation for the world, while it feels different then the day before my attack... It still is a beautiful place.
7. I've committed to a healthy life style.  I've never been a smoker or drinker... I'm eating much healthier.

I hope to hear more stories on this thread.
Bookmark and Share
He who fears death cannot enjoy life

My anxiety blog: http://pippy187.wordpress.com/

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 03:07:22 PM »
Well, this is an OLD post, but I think it's a good one. And I need to inject a little inspiration into my day.

Since the anxiety started I've been more intellectually hungry than I've been in years. I'm thinking maybe it's a side effect of the medication? maybe, I'm not sure.  And I've started searching spiritually, thanks to mindfulness and meditation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sylvanas

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 07:38:38 PM »
I was really depressed and sad before my anxiety and panic disorder. Now, every day I feel "normal" and don't lose touch with reality I appreciate and enjoy to the fullest. I appreciate all the little things I couldn't before. And everything besides this mental disorder seems so unimportant to fuss about. In an ironic twist all other problems seem small.
Also, in a strange way, having to fight my brain all the time keeps me stronger.
Bookmark and Share
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fears path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain

Offline pentopaper

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 02:10:22 AM »
Great idea for a post. What I've gained - I've truly seen and experienced the connection between mental health and exercise (the best medicine for me). I've also prioritized things like self-care, alone time, thinking twice before saying "yes"/committing to things, etc.
Bookmark and Share
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. -Maya Angelou

Offline CNikki

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 03:38:15 AM »
So far it made me see more so of what matters most. I cannot say that it's directed me to a right direction since I wouldn't be in the position I am at right now, but in a way I think while it hasn't and I wasn't going down a good path it's making me see the difference and in a sense have better understanding why some people are the way that they are. The people I was told to 'pay no mind to' or look at them as bad people and that's that. I still go down that path plenty of times and get tempted but I guess it made me have patience in the long run. In the end as people we need hope. We need something to wake up for in the morning and some take to any type of extremes to find that.

Having said that, I also was able to meet and relate to people that I wouldn't have done so if I never went through the things that I had. I met a good online friend and we started to connect on the problems we were having, in a sense we sort of saved each other. I was able to help someone who didn't understand what I was going through at first but when they had a taste of what I was having I still was able to be a shoulder for them to lean on and possibly saved them too. I know one thing for sure however that I would not be good in a ***** hotline since I'd start getting panic attacks when feeling that a person's life is put into my hands.

I think it also brings out the best in others when they know they've been at their lowest. It's an unforgettable experience. If there has to have been one person to experience the things I went through, I would've rather have taken them anyway than for it to be the person next to me. Who knows, maybe one day I will be able to put all the things together and help people in the future.
Bookmark and Share
I'm too weak to live, I'm too weak to die.

Offline CartoonCat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
There's definitely a flip side to a lot of mental health problems, not saying I wouldn't trade most of them for being healthy, but there have been some positives for me.

I find it really hard to sit still or switch off, so that results in being fairly productive, and creating things gives my self esteem a boost.

Depression, anxiety and other mental health problems have given me a lot of inspiration for creativity, even lead to a career of sorts, obviously I'd rather be healthy, but I have a view that no matter how bad something is, at least I can use it for a painting.

Agoraphobia makes one pretty lonely, but that loneliness eventually lead to a drive to reach out to people and as a result I've met loads of cool people online, in hospital and at a mental health community centre, and think I've had the opportunity to connect with people on a more profound level than in more 'normal' walks of life, has been a privilege.

I would never have met my partner if I didn't have anxiety and agoraphobia, would never trade that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Petioptrv

• Mr.
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 10:48:39 AM »
Oh man! Anxiety has showed me so much about myself! On a bigger scale, like Tam, it made me realize that I want to pursue a career in psychology and dedicate my life to helping people. To put things into perspective, I went from commerce to psychology and one can only imagine the majore mindset changes that took place as well (for the better in my opinion). I started practicing Yoga and meditation daily, amongst many other things. And most of all, I got a major life lesson out of it. "Every struggle is there to teach you a lesson" - Macklemore. If you chose to see it that way, then it becomes true. And if I still have anxiety, it is only because I still have things to learn from it.

Great post!

P.S. Cuch, I recently got into astronomy too although I don't associate that to my anxiety. Anyways, you should check out Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey if you haven't yet. It's freaking awesome!
Bookmark and Share

Offline laughingsneakers

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »
In order to de-stress I've found myself getting more and more into my old hobbies like for example knitting. I've always known how, but I never knitted anything without unravelling it until I needed a productive and calming hobby. I've made so many hats and other assortment of things and I design patterns and things now too. This creative outlet has been really awesome for me! Not to mention me getting back into reading more as a distraction, I've missed out on some really good books thanks to the internet! So that's one or two good things. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline vampz20

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 05:59:39 AM »
Wow this is such a great post i love it. This is true while we are in the mist of our anxiety dealing with it we forget about some of the positive things. Now that i think about it i wouldn't have made the decision to be go get some more sun, eat healthier and just be a better person overall it kinda woke me up and took me out of alot of my unhealthy habits
Bookmark and Share

Tags: