Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart worriers/Cardiophobic Roll Call  (Read 78419 times)

Offline mkeenan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart worriers/Cardiophobic Roll Call
« Reply #465 on: July 18, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »
I wanted to call all of us in the same boat to get acquainted. A place for support, info and help through this particularly nasty anxiety issue.

I'll start off:

I am 25, almost 26, female and mother of 3. My heart fears started 11 yrs ago when my grandmother suddenly died of a heart attack. A month later, the palps began. Somehow I got rid of them, and was totally anxiety and palp free for 2 years. Then I became pregnant with my oldest daughter. After she was born the palps and fear hit hard, and they have continued for nearly 9 years. I've had all sorts of palps. Skips, stops, flutters, slams, doubles, triples, I've even had 4 episodes were suddenly it felt like my heart totally stopped and I became faint feeling. Then my heart would start again but it was fast and irregular. They only lasted 15 seconds tops but those terrify me. I've had fits that lasted up to 6 hrs where it felt my heart skipped and stopped everytime I would breathe in. Those were super scary.

I have had 3 EKGS; 1 after a severe car accident where it felt like my heart was barely beating and I was having crushing chest pains. Of course the EKG was "perfect". I had another EKG in the beginning of December during wisdom tooth removal, my heart was skipping like crazy just before I was hooked up. So, nothing was said about it, I assume I'm fine. Then my last EKG was end of December/beginning of January. I developed a strange pain in the hollow of my throat felt like there was pressure there too. It was so weird. Went to my doc told them about the pain, they asked if i was having palps. I said yes but I have anxiety too. They left the room to get an EKG. To say that I was terrified is such an understatement. I was so scared they thought something was seriously wrong. The nurse nonchalantly walks out of the room, and the doc comes in. He fusses at me about my heart rate (which was 115) and that I need to chill out. Then he says I really don't think it's anything to do with your heart. Let's up your Zoloft to 100 and I'll start you on some Ativan. Off I went.

My blood pressure is nearly always a beautiful 120/80. I get yearly blood work. Nothing is out of whack other than low HDL and elevated Triglycerides (nothing too high though). My total cholesterol and LDL numbers are in good ranges. My docs are generally unconcerned. Up until 2004 I played soccer, NEVER had a problem. So I should be good with the knowledge that nothing is wrong.

I think I'm scared of going out suddenly like my grandmother. Then in 2008 my dad gets rushed to the hospital. Come to find out, Daddy had 90% blockage  in his main arteries and 50% in others. He narrowly escaped an impending heart attack with no damage at all to his heart. They gave him statins and a stent. Daddy exhibited some pretty wicked chest pain, then ended up getting stronger and worse and ultimately ended up with the ambulance ride to the hospital. I think that reinforced my fear of having something wrong with me. Daddy was only 49 when this happened. He had adult onset diabetes so I think that was a major factor because his father didn't have issues until he was in his 70's. So I constantly live in fear now.

It's pretty freaking frustrating living in constant fear. Just waiting waiting. Feeling everybeat, every off the wall sensation. I don't exercise anymore, even for all the strides I have made I am still terrified to exercise. Just climbing the stairs in my house scares me. Taking a walk scares me. To see what I was and what I've become It causes my depression to become so heavy.

Ok, so now, ROLL CALL!!!

I've gone through massive heart fear. I finally was able to talk with my cardiologist who finally explained to me why I was having them. DEHYDRATION plain and simple apparently when your dehydrated your blood becomes inconsistent and flows in a way that the valves have a hard time regulating it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Aurora

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #466 on: July 24, 2014, 12:27:38 PM »
I have had major Cardiophobia for the past 6 or 7 years now. Since 2009, I've had probably 15 EKGs. Some of my palpitations have been caught on them even, but never deemed anything to worry about.  I have also gotten an Echocardiogram which is like an ultrasound of the heart where they watch your valves open and close, and look for blockages and other congenital defects. I passed that with flying colors. Back in 2011, I also was put on a holter monitor which is basically a portable EKG that you have to wear for 72 hours. I was called in to discuss the result of that test several days later and it immediately triggered massive panic attacks in me.  At the meeting with the doctor, I was informed that they did detect some Palpitations, but that they were non life threatening and nothing to worry about - and that no action would be needed or taken.
Now even with all of this done and in my recent past, I still fear heart failure or other cardio problems. I know during times of extreme stress that my heart has the tendency to race for long periods of time. It is my single biggest worry in life besides dying too early to get married and really get my life started. (I'm 24)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amanda E

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #467 on: July 31, 2014, 12:39:18 AM »
Hi I am new here  :action-smiley-065: I just started this "heart fear" back in January of this year.  I had bariatric surgery, which was my first surgery ever and my anxiety got out of control right when I got home from the hospital.  I started having skipped beats and an elevated heart rate, and all they kept telling me is its anxiety.  Iv had 7 ekg's, heart monitor for 24 hours,(all fine) several trips to the urgent care (because its better safe then sorry) and I am currently on an event monitor for two weeks.  I am determined if this test comes back normal I am going to drop this worry.  its so troubling, how fast anxiety can take over your whole life, feel like iv been on hold.
Bookmark and Share

Offline VickieLL1966

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #468 on: July 31, 2014, 12:48:31 PM »
Hi everyone.  I am a newbie (as of today), but I was a member with another anxiety message board over ten years ago.  OK, YES,  I have an extreme fear of heart attacks.  I am 48 female and diagnosed with depression and anxiety 15 years ago after a mental breakdown.  I apologize for the long post I'm about to type.  My heart attack fear actually started when I was about 11 years old.

1.  I was always a chubby child and my parents were always on me about my weight. While my family ate the typical home cooking, such as fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits, veggies, etc.  my dinner was either canned tuna and a salad or a boiled hamburger pattie and a salad.  When we went out to a restaurant, my parents would order for me, which was usually a salad and something boiled. My chubbiness was always a main topic growing up.  When I was about 11, my mother (god bless her) took me to a doctor about my weight.  This doctor told an eleven year old child that being overweight was very bad for my heart and that if I didn't lose weight by the time I was 18 I was going to have a heart attack and DIE!!   So, not knowing this then, this was a scare tactic for me to lose weight.  I'd like to add that I was maybe 20lbs heavier then the average 11 year old.  Well, my childhood went on, was sent to weight watchers when I was 12,but the heart attack thing was always in the back of my mind.  About 3 months before my 18th birthday, knowing that I wasn't THIN yet.  I embraced the fact that exactly on my 18th birthday I was to have that heart attack that would kill me, so I started writing letters to my family (my parents, my older brother and my little sister)  telling them how much I love them and how much I would miss them and willing them one of my personal belongings.  I put each letter in a separate envelope and put their names on it and put the letters in my bible.  Ok so needless to say 30 years later, no heart attack.  Eventually life, and a lot of family troubles, working, meeting new friends, etc. seemed to have made that heart attack fear go away.     

2.  When I was about 33 years old,i had been married about 7 years, just bought our first home, and had been trying for years to get pregnant.  I then became aware that my marriage sucked and had been since about six months after I got married.  At this time I was going through so so much stress. Husband cheating on with my best friend, almost losing my house, and so much more. On my way to work one day, I had an anxiety attack, but I had no idea what it was, never knew about anxiety, but I honestly felt I was having a heart attack.  When I went to a doctor, yep,anxiety attack and that I was having a mental breakdown.  So then my life of Paxil began and thank god for it.  But because of the anxiety attack, the mental breakdown, it brought up my heart attack fear.  but after being on the paxil for a few months, that fear subsided and only had bouts of it, several times a year.

3.  Now, the present situation:  I turned 48 this past February.  For the past 6 works I have been unable to find another job due to several surgeries an the economy.  This took it's toll on me because I have always had a job and career.  My husband, at the time I lost my job six years ago, was making excellent money so there was no financial stress at all and I had great health care.  those good times lasted about two years, when, he chose to leave that awesome job, due to another woman.  Since then, due to him taking jobs making less then half then he was before, the financial problems started I was even having to go to food banks to get food. But I had my paxil and I was able to handle all this.  This past January, due to not being able to afford health insurance through his job, I was left with no medical coverage and no money to go back to my doctor to get my yearly renewal on my paxil prescriptions and other meds I needed.  So, it was a slow process, but the past two months of not having my meds, the depression did come back but my anxiety was more severe and so again was the heart attack fear. 

4.  So, due to other ailments, which I will post in those sections later, and being 48 and for all the blasted symptom surfing I have done on heart attack symptoms in women, my mind thinks that every little unusual thing that goes on with my body is an impending heart attack.  It's horrible, actually horrible doesn't even come close to describing the fear, being scared, frustration and worry this causes someone.  So, here is my extremely long post on my heart attack fear.  My heart goes out to each and everyone of you who suffer will this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TimeFlies89

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #469 on: August 09, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »
I'm 25 and mine started over the last month or 2. I have a constant pain on the right side of my chest that I still don't think I've received a proper diagnosis for. After 2 X-Rays and EKG's in the ER I was told it was Chest Wall pain and nothing to worry about, but I disagreed with those analysis because I believe I have a bloodstream infection (Either through infected tooth or puncture wound that I now believe I may have contracted a serious infection from) which apparently neither test would show. However I did get a blood test yesterday and am currently awaiting results

I have a lot of other symptoms which I wont go into detail listing here but basically its more than ennough information to give me cause to believe that I could be right, in which case I'm scared for my life of the main two conditions (Tetanus, Endocarditis, etc) or maybe I'm completely wrong and I can finally let these dark feelings go and move forward with my life.

I just really dont know what to do :(

My insurance expires in a couple of months and I dont know when I'll be able to pay it since im currently unemployed due in large part to these fears taking up so much of my time and I can just imagine that the anxiety from it is affecting my body negatively as well
Bookmark and Share

Offline saffron

• Dare to be different
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #470 on: August 21, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »
My anxiety started with my first panic attack, which happened almost 2 months ago now. It wasn't related to my heart at first; that fear has only just developed recently. A month after my first panic attack, 2 different doctors listened to my heart beat, and said that it was fine, other than it being a little fast. I also had an EKG, and they said my heart sounded healthy. My diet isn't exactly the healthiest (to be expected from a college student), but I've never had problems with weight, and last semester, I swam laps 4 days a week. My college is also built on the side of a hill, so climbing the several flights of stairs was almost a workout all on its own.

I keep telling myself that if there was something wrong with my heart, I would have known it by now. But I've been finding that I keep trying to feel my pulse, just to make sure that it sounds regular and constant. I knew an older adult who died from a heart attack at the age of 52, and it was really unexpected. She felt sick a couple days before it happened, and because my anxiety symptoms make me feel weak and sick, well, you can imagine how much I worry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Eluria

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #471 on: August 25, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
Hello everyone!

It's comforting to know that I am not the only one with this problem. I'm 32 years old, and I think mine started when I was about 12 years old. I remember a girl in my school who had sudden cardiac death during PE, and my Grandmother telling me not to run because I could drop dead. Shortly after that I started to notice myself having palpitations or flutters. I have been to several doctors, but the only thing that they have caught on a monitor is PVCs, PACs, tachycardia, and a "sinus arrhythmia". None of them ever seemed to concerned about it, and since I haven't had insurance in ten plus years I can't get them to do anything anyway.

The skipped beats do run in my family. Both my Mom and Grandmother have had full cardiac workups several times and they all came back normal. Since this all started to get bad for me in 2010 I have not been able to go more than a mile outside my neighborhood without fear of dropping dead. I get weird sensations that send me into a panic sometimes, the most frightening being the couple of times I started to feel faint, and went to feel my pulse only to have nothing there.

No one takes me seriously, not friends or family, or even my partner. They all think I am crazy, and I'm starting to feel that way. I have had some measure of relief by quitting smoking, walking, doing yoga, and meditating, but then I get a flutter and it starts all over again.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Ready1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #472 on: September 28, 2014, 06:21:43 AM »
Hi guys - this thread is me to a tea!  Since my first panic attack was me thinking I was having a heart attack I can't get my head around that its anxiety that's causing me to feel this way. Just today I have had the same feelings in my chest all day and I get a sore left arm - I know that if I was having a heart attack it would be one of the longest heart attacks ever but when I had the panic attack it felt so real and I don't want to go back there.

It is consuming my mind all the time - if it's not my heart it's something else, I even then go and run or lift weights to prove to my mind that's its in my mind - just want to go back to how I was before, this is so tiring.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dirtboy068

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #473 on: September 30, 2014, 08:02:20 AM »
thats why im here on this website. you can read my story over at introduce yourself. i would give anything for these chest pains to go away. i need to start talking better care of myself, thats a good start. AND STOP WITH THE MOUNTAINDEW
Bookmark and Share

Offline dirtboy068

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #474 on: September 30, 2014, 08:14:27 AM »
TY everyone for the replies IN THIS THREAD EVEN THOUGH IT ISNT MINE. SO REFRESHING!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline C_Lofton

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #475 on: September 30, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »
Hello....Im hoping someone can help me.  I was perfectly fine..or so I thought. .up until April of 2014.  I was sleeping and Woke up having a panic attack. . For no reason.   It scared me very badly and within the next month I had 5 attacks.  I have been to the ER plenty of times and had blood work,  ekgs,  echo,  and all came back fine.   I am now seeing a cardiologist and wore a holter for 24 hours.  Still didn't find anything.  I just can't get out of my head something is wrong.  I only sleep for a couple hours and when I wake up the left side of my chest above my heart burns so bad.  As soon as I stand up my heartrate jumps to 120 or higher.   Now I have these sensations like something is tickling my chest from the inside or vibrations.  My chest is akways tight and I akways feel sick.  I have horrible migraines which have just started.   I was on on 12.5 mg metoprolol but the dr took me off because I was having worse side effects.  And the dr   .  Wants me taking .25 mg xanax a day. . Which does nothing.   I am a a 34 y/o female  5'2  115 pounds.   If the dr said im ok.. why do I feel so bad?   Could he have missed something?   
Bookmark and Share

Offline dirtboy068

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #476 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »
hi lofton. im going through the exact same thing with chest pains. thinking something cardio is wrong. what has helped me is when the attacks come on BE REASSURING to yourself.  think of all the test you've had done and how everything has came back fine. i see an anxiety group at the VA as well. really helps. there is the obvious stuff as well. EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE, breathing exercises and laying of the junk food help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dirtboy068

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #477 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »
having a great day after coming here yesterday and reading your replies. NOT ALONE :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tma621

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #478 on: October 01, 2014, 04:52:19 AM »
It's awful to go through this and feel so alone b/c your friends and family just don't get it. Then, you come here and realize you aren't alone. It's such a big help. Heart disease is my biggest fear. I lost my Dad when he was 49 to a massive heart attack then stroke. I feel like its inevitable that it will happen to me. Around mid-August my chest pains started again. It was about a month before my wedding so anxiety/stress was understandable, I just sometimes find it hard to believe it's causing all this pain/discomfort. Chest pain, tightness, sensations in my left arm, tingling at times, then I go into full blown panic.  It went away for about a week and now it's back, about 2 weeks after the wedding. Now, my stomach is a mess and I think I probably gave myself an ulcer. Weird rumbling all the time. Sort of a constant pain in my upper belly and heartburn. I know the difference between the chest pains and heartburn (or I think I do). I sleep like sh*t so I'm third all the time. I don't take any meds and tend to self medicate with alcohol which I'm sure isn't helping my stomach issue. I haven't had an EKG in a few years but the few I've had in the past always came back normal. BP/heart rate is always totally normal as our my regular check ups. I would just like for once to feel ok and not think about it. I would know by now if it was a heart attack, right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline C_Lofton

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #479 on: October 02, 2014, 12:53:57 PM »
Everyday I feel I need to go to the ER because of chest pain. .but I know they will only look at me as if im crazy. .before all of this started I was fine. .I could walk three miles no problem...now I can't even walk through the house. .. this is taking over my life and I live in fear everyday. ...im glad to knew im not the only one going through this. .my family doesn't understand. ..how do I get thRough this?
Bookmark and Share