Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart worriers/Cardiophobic Roll Call  (Read 97490 times)

Offline saffron

• Dare to be different
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart worriers/Cardiophobic Roll Call
« Reply #470 on: August 21, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »
My anxiety started with my first panic attack, which happened almost 2 months ago now. It wasn't related to my heart at first; that fear has only just developed recently. A month after my first panic attack, 2 different doctors listened to my heart beat, and said that it was fine, other than it being a little fast. I also had an EKG, and they said my heart sounded healthy. My diet isn't exactly the healthiest (to be expected from a college student), but I've never had problems with weight, and last semester, I swam laps 4 days a week. My college is also built on the side of a hill, so climbing the several flights of stairs was almost a workout all on its own.

I keep telling myself that if there was something wrong with my heart, I would have known it by now. But I've been finding that I keep trying to feel my pulse, just to make sure that it sounds regular and constant. I knew an older adult who died from a heart attack at the age of 52, and it was really unexpected. She felt sick a couple days before it happened, and because my anxiety symptoms make me feel weak and sick, well, you can imagine how much I worry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Eluria

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #471 on: August 25, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
Hello everyone!

It's comforting to know that I am not the only one with this problem. I'm 32 years old, and I think mine started when I was about 12 years old. I remember a girl in my school who had sudden cardiac death during PE, and my Grandmother telling me not to run because I could drop dead. Shortly after that I started to notice myself having palpitations or flutters. I have been to several doctors, but the only thing that they have caught on a monitor is PVCs, PACs, tachycardia, and a "sinus arrhythmia". None of them ever seemed to concerned about it, and since I haven't had insurance in ten plus years I can't get them to do anything anyway.

The skipped beats do run in my family. Both my Mom and Grandmother have had full cardiac workups several times and they all came back normal. Since this all started to get bad for me in 2010 I have not been able to go more than a mile outside my neighborhood without fear of dropping dead. I get weird sensations that send me into a panic sometimes, the most frightening being the couple of times I started to feel faint, and went to feel my pulse only to have nothing there.

No one takes me seriously, not friends or family, or even my partner. They all think I am crazy, and I'm starting to feel that way. I have had some measure of relief by quitting smoking, walking, doing yoga, and meditating, but then I get a flutter and it starts all over again.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Ready1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #472 on: September 28, 2014, 06:21:43 AM »
Hi guys - this thread is me to a tea!  Since my first panic attack was me thinking I was having a heart attack I can't get my head around that its anxiety that's causing me to feel this way. Just today I have had the same feelings in my chest all day and I get a sore left arm - I know that if I was having a heart attack it would be one of the longest heart attacks ever but when I had the panic attack it felt so real and I don't want to go back there.

It is consuming my mind all the time - if it's not my heart it's something else, I even then go and run or lift weights to prove to my mind that's its in my mind - just want to go back to how I was before, this is so tiring.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dirtboy068

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #473 on: September 30, 2014, 08:02:20 AM »
thats why im here on this website. you can read my story over at introduce yourself. i would give anything for these chest pains to go away. i need to start talking better care of myself, thats a good start. AND STOP WITH THE MOUNTAINDEW
Bookmark and Share

Offline dirtboy068

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #474 on: September 30, 2014, 08:14:27 AM »
TY everyone for the replies IN THIS THREAD EVEN THOUGH IT ISNT MINE. SO REFRESHING!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline C_Lofton

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #475 on: September 30, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »
Hello....Im hoping someone can help me.  I was perfectly fine..or so I thought. .up until April of 2014.  I was sleeping and Woke up having a panic attack. . For no reason.   It scared me very badly and within the next month I had 5 attacks.  I have been to the ER plenty of times and had blood work,  ekgs,  echo,  and all came back fine.   I am now seeing a cardiologist and wore a holter for 24 hours.  Still didn't find anything.  I just can't get out of my head something is wrong.  I only sleep for a couple hours and when I wake up the left side of my chest above my heart burns so bad.  As soon as I stand up my heartrate jumps to 120 or higher.   Now I have these sensations like something is tickling my chest from the inside or vibrations.  My chest is akways tight and I akways feel sick.  I have horrible migraines which have just started.   I was on on 12.5 mg metoprolol but the dr took me off because I was having worse side effects.  And the dr   .  Wants me taking .25 mg xanax a day. . Which does nothing.   I am a a 34 y/o female  5'2  115 pounds.   If the dr said im ok.. why do I feel so bad?   Could he have missed something?   
Bookmark and Share

Offline dirtboy068

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #476 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »
hi lofton. im going through the exact same thing with chest pains. thinking something cardio is wrong. what has helped me is when the attacks come on BE REASSURING to yourself.  think of all the test you've had done and how everything has came back fine. i see an anxiety group at the VA as well. really helps. there is the obvious stuff as well. EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE, breathing exercises and laying of the junk food help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dirtboy068

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #477 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »
having a great day after coming here yesterday and reading your replies. NOT ALONE :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tma621

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #478 on: October 01, 2014, 04:52:19 AM »
It's awful to go through this and feel so alone b/c your friends and family just don't get it. Then, you come here and realize you aren't alone. It's such a big help. Heart disease is my biggest fear. I lost my Dad when he was 49 to a massive heart attack then stroke. I feel like its inevitable that it will happen to me. Around mid-August my chest pains started again. It was about a month before my wedding so anxiety/stress was understandable, I just sometimes find it hard to believe it's causing all this pain/discomfort. Chest pain, tightness, sensations in my left arm, tingling at times, then I go into full blown panic.  It went away for about a week and now it's back, about 2 weeks after the wedding. Now, my stomach is a mess and I think I probably gave myself an ulcer. Weird rumbling all the time. Sort of a constant pain in my upper belly and heartburn. I know the difference between the chest pains and heartburn (or I think I do). I sleep like sh*t so I'm third all the time. I don't take any meds and tend to self medicate with alcohol which I'm sure isn't helping my stomach issue. I haven't had an EKG in a few years but the few I've had in the past always came back normal. BP/heart rate is always totally normal as our my regular check ups. I would just like for once to feel ok and not think about it. I would know by now if it was a heart attack, right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline C_Lofton

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #479 on: October 02, 2014, 12:53:57 PM »
Everyday I feel I need to go to the ER because of chest pain. .but I know they will only look at me as if im crazy. .before all of this started I was fine. .I could walk three miles no problem...now I can't even walk through the house. .. this is taking over my life and I live in fear everyday. ...im glad to knew im not the only one going through this. .my family doesn't understand. ..how do I get thRough this?
Bookmark and Share