Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart worriers/Cardiophobic Roll Call  (Read 80661 times)

Offline osprey

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart worriers/Cardiophobic Roll Call
« Reply #450 on: April 15, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »
Lately I've been noticing that my heart has been skipping beats.  I don't really feel it in my chest so much as when I take my pulse.   I don't know if I'm worrying myself into ectopic beats or if there's really something wrong with me.  I've been to a cardio and he seems to think there's nothing wrong, but i'm almost always on the verge of tears thinking about this. My grandmother, whom I was very close to passed away in February and everyone is telling me that stress brought these on and I supposed they could be right, but I'm so scared of having a heart attack that I'm pretty constantly in a state of near anxiety attack. I don't know what to do.  I have another appointment with my cardiologist on April 29th for an Echo and a Holter but I'm not sure I can wait until then because I'm freaking out. I don't think I have chest pain, but then I think about it and convince myself I do.  I don't think I'm having trouble breathing til I think about it.  I'm a mess.  I was prescribed xanax but I really want to deal with my anxiety without drugs.  I think mostly I need people to talk to who don't think I'm nuts and that there's nothing wrong with me, because even though These PVCs/PACs may not be dangerous, they're certainly ruining my life. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #451 on: April 21, 2014, 02:44:52 AM »
I was always told by nurses that I had an "ideal" blood pressure. Lately however, every doc visit it has fluctuated. One visit it was 130/80! High for me cause I usually have 100-110/60-70. Then the last time I went in, it was 80/60. Uhh, where is my heart going these days? Has me a little worried...

My parents have various heart trouble/blood sugar/cholesterol issues, but I figure that's normal for people in their 50's and not indicative of familial heart issues... I dunno. 
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline tarvyo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #452 on: April 22, 2014, 07:16:03 AM »
I get palps plenty of times a day to the point there's no point counting them, have been told they are "normal" yeh right.....Anyway I have another holter monitor test this week, have had an echocardiogram done in December which came up normal, used to play a lot of sport and miss it but just can't bring myself to do anything now, especially since I had a panic attack when getting back in to the gym last week which has convinced me I have a heart issue :/ it's just so draining. I seem to have a bit more control when I get some tachycardia but when It's coupled with a full blown panic attack I can't really deal with it, then all the other symptoms ramp up too. I know deep down it's my anxiety and panic disorder but I keep telling myself it's a heart problem, even though to date nothing has been found at all re: Heart health besides my cholesterol been a little up at times (I'm 28)

Bookmark and Share

Offline Piamia

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #453 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
Today I went to the doctor for excruciating facial pain. The doc immediately wanted to do an ECG. She did two, and then Said that she was giving me an emergency referral to the hospital. So I went to hospital ER, had another ECG, a tnc blood test and waited three hours for the doc to examine me. Turns out I was fine, but first doc's machine malfunctioned and gave a false alarm.
All's well that ends well. Still have facial pain, though :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline tarvyo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #454 on: April 26, 2014, 11:06:42 PM »
Today I went to the doctor for excruciating facial pain. The doc immediately wanted to do an ECG. She did two, and then Said that she was giving me an emergency referral to the hospital. So I went to hospital ER, had another ECG, a tnc blood test and waited three hours for the doc to examine me. Turns out I was fine, but first doc's machine malfunctioned and gave a false alarm.
All's well that ends well. Still have facial pain, though :laugh3:

Haha good to see a funny story here :) I wouldn't be as worried about my palsand all that if I wasn't feeling so damn fatigued and feeling like I need to get a deep breath in, may have something to do with the Benzos but even walking is a chore at the moment, it's so unnerving. Heart has checked out fine but yet still feel like something is wrong with it, blergh this just sucks but at least I know I'm far from alone on this, glad I found this site :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline andyinfear

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #455 on: May 01, 2014, 04:59:04 PM »
I have this issue fersure. I tend to worry about my heart and the rate it's beating almost 24/7. I'm in a constant state of worry about panic about it. And it's gotten to the point where I'm afraid to do any physical activity. I haven't been to a doctor yet. But, I've been trying to get myself to go. Everything is harder when you are worrying all the time. And have agoraphobic tendencies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #456 on: May 23, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
I've been having palpitations on and off for many years.  Just recently, I've seemed to notice them more frequently so I went to see a cardiologist.  They did an EKG which came back normal and my blood pressure was 110/73 which was shocking to me.  I felt like it was super high while I was there. 

He listened to my heart beating and said he heard two palpitations which I could not feel.  That makes me wonder how many I'm really having that I don't feel. 

He said I'm having PVC's or PAC's which are very common and nothing to worry about. 

I go in two weeks for an echo stress test and full blood work.  I just wore a Holter monitor for 24 hours, too.

Even though I believe what he was saying, I'm still so scared.  I feel okay while I'm sitting or laying down but

when I get up to simply walk across the room, I feel a bubbly sensation in my upper abdomen (heart area) and feel very anxious and jittery.  Why????  I don't understand it. 

I, too, am afraid to do any sort of exercise.  I'm afraid that this feeling will start up again and not stop or a palpitation will start and not stop.  I'm hoping if all of my tests come back normal, that might be enough to convince me but as of right now.....I'm so anxious and nervous about all of these feelings.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Nicole8712

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #457 on: May 25, 2014, 02:15:43 PM »
Does anyone know the name of the book they were discussing in the beginning of this thread?
Bookmark and Share

Offline witsend

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #458 on: June 04, 2014, 12:11:23 PM »
Hello all  :action-smiley-065:

Previously emetophobe here (still am a bit if get worried have eaten off food or actually feel sick) but about a year ago fear transferred to heart worries (I get ectopic beats).

After each funny beat I go into a spiral of panic; dizzy, can't breath, falling sensations, constantly taking my own pulse.

I'm doing it now; I'm at work and had one funny beat at about 11am...been wracked by anxiety ever since!! Can't catch my breath.

Had all the holters, echos, ETT etc etc....showed up nothing.

Grrrrr  >:(
Bookmark and Share

Offline witsend

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #459 on: June 04, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
used to play a lot of sport and miss it but just can't bring myself to do anything now, especially since I had a panic attack when getting back in to the gym last week which has convinced me I have a heart issue :/

I SO identify with this. I'm exactly the same. Had ONE funny turn on a run after stopping suddenly and now too scared to go running.  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline janice1191

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #460 on: June 04, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »
My current free-floating anxiety has latched on to a sharp pain under my chin that has been happening spontaneously since last night and I am convinced that it's a heart attack symptom. Sadly, I googled and it only confirmed that it could be a symptom, but only if it were on the left hand side (it's smack dab in the middle of my chin).

I've been sick the past three weeks (started off as a cold, turned into an upper resp infection then moved to my lungs), so there has been a lot of coughing and lots of anxiety associated with it. The anxiety is only making the healing process take longer.

I'm not sure how to calm myself enough to let this go.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DystopianStillness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #461 on: June 07, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »
Hi everyone.

I'm here because I am told there's nothing wrong with my heart. I mean, sort of. I have an enlarged left atrium and pvcs/palps. But I've had a ton of tests and my heart is healthy and fine and I'm told I'm at low risk of heart attack. I don't even really have high blood pressure, usually 120/80, though it's lower now because I'm on metoprolol (12.5mg in the morning and the same at night) to help with the palps. And it does. They're not nearly as strong and don't come as often.

I'm not totally healthy. I have PCOS which causes a lot of other annoying/painful symptoms.

But basically what happened was one day I was having a great day. I got up, I walked to go to bed and all of a sudden my heart started racing. I put one of those heart things on my finger to see my pulse that my boyfriend had bought for fun, and it went up over 160. It wouldn't stop. I thought I was having a heart attack. I couldn't speak clearly, my speech was slurring. My heart wouldn't slow down. It took like two hours for it to come down, in the hospital.

But they said nothing was wrong with my heart.

So I tried to go on with life, though paranoid about it. Then a week ago today I got up, my dog was sick. I cleaned up the mess she had made and laid back down to go back to sleep - I wanted to sleep in - and I felt the life go out of my arms. It felt like my heart had stopped. I reached up to feel my pulse and I felt nothing. I felt like I was dying. I sat up and all of a sudden bambambam.. heart came back in full force. Called the ambulance. They checked me, said my vitals were good though I looked anxious. Well, of course I did. I thought I was dying!

I didn't go with them to the ER but I did eventually go after some time because I wasn't feeling any better. The ER checked me out, did all kinds of tests (and on top of this I've had an ecg and a stress test that came back that my heart was structurally sound (except for the enlarged atrium) and good to go) and of course... everything was 'fine'. The doctor told me if I'd had a heart attack I would have passed out pretty quickly. But I did feel faint and like I was going to right before my heart started slamming in my chest again. It basically got after that to where I was trembling all day, nervous, couldn't sit still, pacing at work, trembling while trying to fall asleep and only able to sleep when absolutely exhausted - and constantly jerking awake in fear.

So I followed up with my PCP and she seemed almost angry at me. She didn't understand why I had gone to the ER. She said some things to my s/o that I disagree with.. for example, turning out the nightlight on me when I need it on to sleep. Somehow if this is severe anxiety I don't think "tough love" is the answer. Didn't work for me as a teenager for other things, and at almost thirty I don't see it working for me now for this.

She prescribed me an mood stabilizer called Lamotrigine. I haven't taken it because quite frankly if this is anxiety I want a chance to get over it on my own before I resort to medication. And I've been working on it. My anxiety levels have come down a lot but I can't shake this feeling of 'what if' about my heart. What if it did skip enough to miss two seconds or so of beats? What if I trust this is anxiety and then not be prepared for when it happens again?

Anyway.. so hi guys. Here I am. You seem like a great group and I'm glad this is here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ERHopper

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #462 on: June 28, 2014, 09:47:49 PM »
I am 34 years old and was diagnosed with bipolar II and panic disorder years ago. The fear of cardiac issues started when I was 17 and my mother had a quadruple bypass. My father has been suffering from acute heart failure for the past two years, and few weeks ago my mother started to have chest pain again. I haven't had a serious hypochondriac episode in quite a few years, but the last month has been a nightmare. I went to the hospital because I had aspirated on stomach acid. My pulse was 156, and I had a fever. They admitted because I had SVT. The doctor did every damn test available; I have had CTs, echocardiograms, xrays, massive blood work. She said my heart was fine, but prescribed metoprolol 25mg twice a day. I don't think I need to be on metoprolol since my blood pressure has always been great and this medication lowers blood pressure. (Though when I tried to wean myself off of it, my pulse sky rocketed up to 126.) Since the incident at the hospital, my anxiety has been off the charts. I find out my heart is fine, so my fear evolves into Deep Vein Thrombosis. Any pain I get in my body I am POSITIVE is a blood clot. I've been to so many ERs this past month that some of the doctors and nurses are starting to recognize me. I have been having panic attacks after jogging because I get palpitations (even WITH Metoprolol- probably due to dehydration - summer is ridiculous in Florida). One of my good friends recently suggested I get on psych meds, which I desperately do NOT want to do. I get so many side effects from psych meds. Bleh.

Anyway, I am glad this forum exists, and grateful to have had the opportunity to read your stories. Knowing there are other people out there who share my experiences helps. Thanks for sharing your stories. <3
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #463 on: June 30, 2014, 10:14:34 PM »
I had a few instances in the past month where I went up stairs quickly and ended up dizzy at the top. I just got lightheaded and the first time was one of those blackout feelings you get when you're anemic and stand up too fast (I am anemic, though and get it a lot standing up.) I also have sinus issues which mess with my head and make me dizzy just standing or sitting still, but now I'm paranoid. My last stress test was a year ago. I'm going to my doc Wednesday to get a referral to my cardiologist and I'm terrifying myself and can't sleep. I want to throw up with worry. The second and third times I got dizzy I also had head pressure in my sinuses. I do hyperventilate but I'm still panicking.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline Trinalisa

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #464 on: July 14, 2014, 11:11:37 PM »
I have always suffered from anxiety and OCD but the health anxiety is kind of new to me. I am scared every second of every day that my heart is going to stop or I'm going to have a heart attack. It started back in April when I got severe chest pain, started sweating and almost passed out. I went to the er and the did an ekg, chest X-ray and blood work and told me it was not a heart attack. They diagnosed me with costochondritis. I followed up with my primary care doctor who said he was sure it wasn't my heart but didn't know what it was. He had me wear a holter monitor and said it was normal except for my pulse was high. I have had a couple more episodes of intense chest pain and my heart seems to flutter a lot. I also have had mild chest pain every day since the first episode and I am so scared.  It is taking over my life. I have two kids and this obsession is taking away from my time with them but I can't seem to stop. It's so debilitating. I'm so afraid the doctors are wrong. Sorry for my rambling, really needed to vent. I sympathize with all you out there suffering from this too!!
Bookmark and Share
What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson