Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart worriers/Cardiophobic Roll Call  (Read 78444 times)

Arthurpanics24/7 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Floridagal10

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart worriers/Cardiophobic Roll Call
« Reply #435 on: December 02, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »
Hi there.  Over the past month this has become me. I am 26 and relatively healthy but I can't seem to get it out of my head that something is wrong with my heart. It all started when I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic that cause intense burning in my chest among other things. From there I keep checking my pulse and worrying that any ache and pain in my chest or arm area is a sign of a heart attack. My grandfather did pass away of a massive coronary at the age or 34 but my doctor has kept a close eye on things like my cholesterol. Typically my blood pressure and pulse are high at he doctors office but they attribute that to white coat syndrome or anxiety.

It is nice to know that there are other heart worriers out there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline yeezus123

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #436 on: December 08, 2013, 03:42:42 AM »
Okay so it all started when this kid died of a heart sttack playing basketball I've been scsred since then I csnt sleep sometime don't wanna eat don't wanna play basketball and also earlier I put a recipet in my mouth playing with it snd I googled it and it said bpa is toxic snd now my throat hurts I'm so scsred help
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeezerJg34

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #437 on: December 17, 2013, 05:20:18 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. I am so thankful for finding this forum as my health cocerns can get very scary. Here's a little background:
I'm 28, in pretty good shape and exercise regularly. Up until May, I've had almost no health issues (a few years back I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure...but was 35lbs heavier then). On May 1st, I went to the ER after I couldnt fall asleep because of feeling chest tightness, trouble breathing and tingling in my arms, hands and face. Blood test, chest xray and EKG all came back clear. They diagnosed me with Acid reflux (GERD) and anxiety attack. Went to see my doc to follow up. Had another EKG which was fine, and he put me on GERD meds. The summer went by fairly well, with only a few episodes of GERD but no anxiety.  Then in August, the attacks/episodes became very frequent. I felt chest pain/discomfort daily, for hours or even most of the day almost constantly. Went back to the doc had another EKG which was OK. At this point, I was so sure that it was my heart that I just scheduled a visit with a Cardiologist. Had yet another EKG which was fine but did a stress test/ultrasound as well. Guess what...nothing, my heart looked OK. After a follow  up with my doc, we  discussed anxiety and he put me on meds. I was still hahing episodes on the meds and given my profession, decided to go it without the meds. I've improved to the point where I dont have full blown panic attacks like before, but my symptoms are still there...chest pain, lightheadedness, trouble breathing pain in the left arm, headaches, among others  its usually worse at night, especially if it wakes me up. I'm actually posting because my breathing/chest pain woke me up and I cant get back to sleep. I keep thinking its my heart but it just doesnt make sense...im so sick of this! Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline PatrickWebster

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #438 on: December 18, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
Well.. This place is amazing.

I am a 26 year old male. I had my first panic attack (or so they tell me it was only panic) in February this year. Went to the ER, was discharged, and given a pamphlet on anxiety. After that I was still feeling very weird (dizzy, shortness of breath, crazy thoughts) so I saw my doctor who just brushed me off and said I was anxious. I had a couple more panic attacks and then went to talk to a professional a few times. She did make me feel better and I was fine for awhile. Now it seems to be off and on. I will go a month or so feeling anxious, then Im fine for a few weeks. Then I hear about someone having a heart attack and boom, another month of anxiety. Or maybe I get nauseated for some reason and I think (oh hey, people feel like this before a heart attack). And then I cant breath, get dizzy, tingly, think Im going to die, chest pains, arm pains, back pains. And, not to mention, it makes me really edgy and sometimes short with my wife which I hate because she has been wonderful through all of this.

I really want to beat these feelings. It is taking up too much of my life. I have always been in great shape and maybe that is part of the problem as I am getting a little bit older (as in, not a college aged kid who can do anything and feel fine) so maybe some of these changes are normal.

This forum seems to have a lot of great information. I really need to stay away from googling all of my symtoms and I think this will help me with that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Valoricus

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #439 on: January 06, 2014, 01:14:27 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am a 37 year old male who's in reasonably good health and fair shape.  My heart worries started about 8 months ago after an energy drink induced panic attack.  My doctor sent me in for an echo stress test but the tech discovered an abnormal EKG (left bundle branch block) but my dr. and the cardiologist seemed not at all concerned and sent me in for a regular echo which came back fine.  Of course there is no explanation as to why I have LBBB but I do still think/obsess about my heart.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Andrew90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #440 on: January 14, 2014, 12:11:55 AM »
I am a 23 year old male, with a recent history of panic attacks and GAD. I have been on medications for the past few months which have prevented any panic attacks from occurring, but much of my anxiety is about my heart. I am always worried that it is not functioning properly or something is abnormal. I do get occasional PVC's and used to get them everyday, but now I maybe get one a day or less due to supplementation with magnesium glycinate. Nevertheless, I had a 2 week ECG monitor and nothing abnormal showed up, besides a few extra beats. I have been told by my cardiologist that I am perfectly fine and have nothing to worry about, but there are times when I just can't shake my cardiophobia. I used to take my pulse all day every day, and I recently have been cutting it down to only a couple of times a day or less. I realize that being hyper-vigilant with my pulse is only driving my cardiophobia worse. If it's one thing and it goes away, it's another thing that replaces it and takes the reins of my focus. Now, I feel like my pulse is erratic or irregular when I take it, but at the same time I don't think there's much wrong with it....I just don't know what to think sometimes.

Medications certainly help me, but I need to actively change my behaviors because that's the only way I will shake this phobia.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Photochick20

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #441 on: January 19, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »
Hi everyone, I just joined the site tonight. I'll be honest, it was a relief to see that there is a group that is dedicated to this fear, because it is my current obsession.

My Dad died 11 years ago today of a massive heart attack. He drank, smoked, and ate horribly. He was 48. Only in the past few months has this anxiety really turned into a major issue. I'm 33, I'll be 34 this year. I'm severely overweight, I eat bad, and I don't exercise. I've tried everything to lose weight, to no avail. My husband is also overweight.

Last year I was on a diet and lost 15 pounds in the first 3 months. I was doing so great and then I fell off the wagon and I still haven't gotten back on. I know that if I were to eat healthier that would really take the anxiety off of my heart fears.

My plan is to start slowly, but get back on the same plan that I was on when I lost the weight the first time. Usually when I'm on a plan it gives me something to do and the anxiety slowly starts easing up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jamie76

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #442 on: January 24, 2014, 12:57:42 AM »
I never worried about my heart at all till about a month ago, I have always had anxiety but now I been having back and chest pains and arm pain, Ekg and blood work all good but they put me on Klon's and beta blockers and it has helped some but just always back,chest and arm pain. The Doc thinks panic attacks but this is 4 or 5 times a day sometimes as long as 3 to 5 hours. then goes away. I feel pain for you guys I really do and best of luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Matteus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #443 on: February 14, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »
Gosh, I love this website.  I really, really wish I didn't have reason to love it though!  But, I find it just such a comfort/support to know that I am not alone.

I"m 40, male.  Always been in good health.    I hadn't been to a doctor from early teens (usual kid stuff: chicken pox, overly concerned mother!) until turning 40.    Since turning 40, I've been going through (what I suspect) is stereotypical male 40+ health anxiety.  A major way it's manifesting itself is through cardiophobia (well, I'm 90% sure that's what it is - but I have my moments when I doubt it - I'm sure you know what I mean). 

Anyway, I went through whole days of chest sensations, palpatations, left arm weirdness, bouts of perspiration, shortness of breath, feelings of doom etc etc. All classic heart attack symptoms.  I've driven myself to the hospital, only to turn away at the last moment.  An added element here is that I'm British but I live and work in SE Asia.  Being a Brit, I'm used to turning up at a hospital and paying nothing (thanks the UK"s National Health Service). Here, though, I have to cover my own medical bills.  Although I"m covered with private and company medical insurance, it still feels weird using it and slightly scares me. I"m just not used to worrying about medical bills (I think this actually adds to my anxiety/phobia)   

Finally, after a lousy weekend suffering last November, I decided to go to the doctor.  EKG/blood test/chest x-ray done: nothing.  Ultrasound: nothing. EKG/stress test: nothing.   For a while after this, I felt a lot, lot better.   

I hadn't been exercising for some months because of this and I"ve finally got back to the gym.  It's two steps forward, one step back stuff:  any pain I feel at the gym freaks me out, even though I know from past hiatuses from the gym that your body does feel different exercising after a break of even a few weeks.     Still, I"m going to the gym most days though I admit, I carry aspirin with me all the time (as I do everywhere, to be honest).

As I said, I'm almost certain that I"m fine.   I"ve been checked out fine.  I'm sure that, if I did have what I fear I may have,  I'd have dropped down by now.  Still, it's a daily struggle (as I know you all know).  I must say that I find this forum and the posters here to be an immense source of support and of strength.  Just reading the posts here makes me feel calmer and more rational.   

Good luck all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Britbrit33

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #444 on: February 21, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm new here! I too am a heart worrier. Recently, I've noticed that my ankles are swollen. Of course, my first thought was blood clot. I have these lumps on my ankles, which are tender to the touch. I have injured one of the ankles before so that could also be a cause, but of course I'm only focused on the worst possible outcome. I've been icing them and it has helped a little bit, but the swelling never completely goes away and it's always back in the morning when I get up. I'm not in pain unless I'm walking, but sometimes even when im walking I don't have pain. I did go to the doctor and he said that it could be a possible injury especially because I have flat feet and I'm on my feet all day. I'm just having trouble believing this. I've never had swollen ankles before and I'm afraid it's a sign of my heart failing. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know what to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #445 on: March 06, 2014, 07:24:17 AM »
So.... As anticipated, after getting over the brain tumour fear after having an MRI to confirm there was nothing wrong with my brain, I am now worried about my heart. I knew that this was going to happen and I really hoped it wouldn't as I went through a terrible few months over Christmas with this brain tumour fear.. not being able to eat, not wanting to be alone, missing work, missing out on work parties and meals etc etc.

So i'm a secretary for a Cardiologist and only started this job in November last year. Before I worked in Gastro so nothing too major. Now day in day out I am writing about heart disease, heart attacks, cardiac arrest etc etc... My anxiety all really started to progressively get worse last year when I found out an old friend and ex boyfriend of mine ran the marathon and had a heart attack aged only 27 and passed away. This really shocked me, especially given his age. I then developed the brain tumour fear after getting awful headaches.... so now that's been resolved kind of (sinus issues although my headaches are on top and not at the back of my head, so that's also a weird one) I have now moved to my heart.
I have always suffered with palpitations but now more so. My heart will feel fine and then suddenly it beats really hard and slow and I can feel this when I check my pulse. I have been trying to put it down to anxiety but then a few weeks ago I felt a pain behind my sternum. This then moved to sharp pains on the left and right side, almost like when you get a trapped nerve and you breath in and it hurts but goes away.. however this doesn't hurt as bad as that and it seems to be there all day. I was recently on Amitriptyline for headaches but now I think it's sinus related I decided to stop as I heard they can effect heart rhythm and I am worried it's causing the palps.
Anyway, my pain in the chest area is nothing bad but sharp twinges here and there in random places and also my left arm really aches. It hurts under my left shoulder blader and around collar bone. I also get an aching right arm. I don't really work out, only the occasional home work out but nothing I think would have caused this. I saw the GP and didn't really mention the chest pain as it wasn't as bad last week and had ECG which was fine but I had no palps at the time.. typical!
Now today I have such a heavy sore arm that hurts when I lift and then occasional niggling pains around chest area. I am hoping i've pulled a muscle in my arm as that is hurting the most and if I hold it up it is really sore.

As I said I work in cardiology so typing about this stuff all day is just making things so much worse. It's my job though.. what can I do?! My other half is going away at the weekend and he's the only one I really feel safe and happy around so I am dreading this weekend.

Can anyone offer some advice? Sorry for the long post but I'm at work and don't know how to take my mind off this ridiculous anxiety.

I used to be normal!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AmandaH33

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #446 on: March 14, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »
Hi everyone :)
I will admit, I am a heart worrier :(
Especially if I have any kind of chest pain
I am constantly checking my heart rate, because it seems my heart is always racing which makes it worse!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #447 on: March 28, 2014, 08:34:20 PM »
I've had heart worries lately. Starting around early February I started getting non-stop heart palpitations. I could feel my heart beating every moment of the day and it never let up. It scared me like hell at first but after a week or two I decided it wasn't a heart attack waiting to happen. There's no pain, no real discomfort, just my heart beating. Sometimes it thumps loudly, sometimes I swear it's beating differently, but nothing ever happens.

I used to have trouble breathing but I quickly learned it was gas, from my also recently acquired intestinal issues, that gets stuck in my chest or throat. It rarely happens now though.

I get stabbing pains in my abdomen area and the right side of my chest. It's random and short, maybe 2 seconds maximum. Yesterday I had it so bad I had to get out of bed and stop listening to music because it happened several times in a row and it hurt.

Alas one week after the palpitations started, which was a little over a month ago now, I went to the ER to get a EKG. I had a random attack at 8 PM and felt like I couldn't breathe and my heart was out of control. When I went to the ER I was fine and the EKG came back normal. So no heart issues? I had been under the worse stress in my life that week, and I assumed my hart beating was anxiety that wouldn't stop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LilJenny45

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #448 on: April 08, 2014, 09:06:40 PM »
Ahh, my people!

I've had mild, nagging cardiac fears since I was sixteen, which is when I had my first panic attack. However, it wasn't a very severe or constant thing until about two years ago when I had a PVC while exercising. I had never had them while working out previously and was absolutely convinced it was a sign that my heart was about to stop. As a result, I had a MASSIVE (and I mean, massive) panic attack that led to me going to ER. That led to me getting a very thorough workup that included a 24-hour Holter, a stress test and an echocardiogram. All of them came back clean with a confirmation that, yes, I get PVC's but my heart is structurally normal and I'm fine.

As you all well understanding hearing that. . .didn't reassure me at all. Since then I've been on edge about the state of my heart, and a constant conviction that it's going to give out on me. I recently started running again, and I have a ridiculous amount of anxiety around it. I keep running, and I still haven't dropped dead yet, but I'm still terrified of developing a fatal arrhythmia. It's amazing how persistent this fear is, even in the face of clean bills of health and evidence supporting that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline iluomoazzurro

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #449 on: April 13, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »
I'm a 23 year old male that has been worrying for almost a year now.
My first episode I drank an energy drink while studying in college. Later that night in bed my heart was pounding and my left arm was numb. I broke out into a cold sweat and called 911. The doc at the ER said I was fine.
Fast forward 2 months, my father passed away from a heart attack. I grieved but then 4 months later after a stressful day of interning I got all of my symptoms back from that energy drink night. Hours passed but thinking of my father I went to the ER again with EKGs, x-ray, and blood tests coming back fine. I later went to a cardiologist for an echocardiogram and stress test which came back fine as well.

Now it has been 8 months since then and I can't say I'm "normal." I have so many symptoms that come and go including episodes of lightheadedness, left shoulder sore, veins in arm hurt, palpitations, rib pain on the left side of chest under my arm. These symptoms are random and aren't triggered by anything including exercise. Some of them are very bothersome since they are symptoms of heart attacks.

I want my old life back.
Bookmark and Share