Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: A couple exercises for those with trouble with ruminating thoughts and/or sleep  (Read 34166 times)

Offline Hormonal

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The positive affirmation have been part of my life a lot and they do work.  When I was feeling more anxious/depressed they did miracles for me.  I would read them while having breakfast just so I was able to calm my internal nerves and be able to eat.  If I woke up with anxieties I would read anything that was positive.  My night table is full of different kinds of books depending on my moods.  Great idea to share these exercises with us.  Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ang41021

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I just wrote about a post about my endless cycling negative thoughts.  My therapist has suggested journaling, but post-it notes or cue cards are another good idea.
It's been suggested to me to say the affirmations to myself, but I try and I have beat myself down and worried myself so much that I immediately dismiss any positive affirmation, because I don't believe it.  Like it's been mentioned, maybe if I just do it everyday, even if I don't believe it, then maybe eventually I will believe it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline noaalessi

• Noa Alessi for my Panic Cure
    • Poke This Member
What an excellent technique!!
One technique that I recommend to my readers is where you write your problems down in a journal, but post-its on the wall seems much more interesting. I guess you amplify your intention to "stop worrying" when you physically stick or leave your problem behind you.

Really nice  ;D
Bookmark and Share
"You Become What You Think About" - Earl Nightingale. my Panic Cure is my way of saying thank you to the world.

Offline Rorster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Excellent suggestions regarding the post it notes and card.  I will use index cards for mine. Thank you so much!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abe

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
 :action-smiley-065:Hi I'm a newb here but this is a good post I think for me to start with..Nice post really enjoyed reading it..Thanks  a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline EveryCloud

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thanks to the OP for this, the list of positive affirmations was great, v.helpful
Bookmark and Share
Why do we fall?
So that we can pick ourselves back up again

Offline SleeplessInPA

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I love the idea about "cue cards"!  Thank you for sharing.  I am going to try it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dr.Buspi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Grate going to try it! thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline gatomia

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Really like those ideas!  I print out quotes I see online 4x6" setting, cut them out, stack them up, and read through different ones at different times.  What are some good books on anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Doxie Lover

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
Thanks for sharing!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bessy_leyh18

• Veritas. Amicitia. Gaudium.
    • Poke This Member
Whenever my anxiety goes over the top I only do what my therapist always say "Feel your pulse, inhale.... exhale.... You're still alive." I fear death. As in really. It's one cause of my anxiety attacks. I'm a veterinary medicine student and sometimes during surgery I prick my hands with needle and that would make me super worried... "what if the disease is transmitted to me? am i gonna die? how many days do I have left?" It's crazy but I just say what I was told and I would feel a little relaxed, not totally but at least it helped. 
Bookmark and Share
Veritas. Amicitia. Gaudium.

Offline EternalOptimst

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Appreciate your suggestions.  I put mine into voice recorder some times. 
My dr had me write down on paper that which worried me then she put the list thru the shredder. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caleb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
 :action-smiley-065:  To Bessie Lehy (Jan7)  About those needle pricks:

Although I have enough high-anxiety experiences, or at least did a couple months ago, the needle thing I might know how to cope with.  (Unless being there in lab is already a signif. stressful thing.)  Others get those needle pricks too, right?, 'cause it's hard to think I'm the only one has that happen.  Well OK if quite a few others have that happening and it were a bit of a risk, there would be general awareness and there would be discussion of it.

My idea here: we're all in this together and I trust those around me.  (Kind of lemming like, I admit.  :)

If I am surrounded by others (others I trust, not morons) who are at the same level of risk I am, I figure I won't worry (take precautions, prepare to flee) any more than them.  I'm odd in that I have panics, or did sometimes in the pasth, but am not odd in the way I experience solidarity with (some) others.  Comfort in numbers (OK just on this one issue.   lol )

Am afraid of heights, a bit.  I could well be afraid of going over by a balcony rail, afraid balcony'd collapse,  but!:   Say if a bunch of ppl were standing by the rail, and then a few came away from it so I would not have to worry that my weight adding to...  well you know.  I could go join that slightly-reduced number of ppl, with a confidence that these ppl weren't falling so I'd be OK.   .  .  /cheers
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rangers14

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ty! I think the hardest time to shut down is at noght but will try and use ur tips
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousAlexis

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Interesting ideas!

I have terrible circling negative thoughts at bed time that can sometimes end with me having full blown panic attacks when I can't get them to stop. I have tried similar strategies in the past by trying to focus my mind and let myself know that I would be much better suited to addressing my issues in the morning with a clear head. Trying to talk myself down was always hit or miss though. Sometimes I could get myself to focus on sleeping and sometimes the thoughts would persist, drowning out any thoughts of my own I tried to stick in. Writing them down somewhere I can physically see them might be a good way to get them out of my head in a more literal way. I think it would take an awful lot of practice for me to actually get that to work though, instead of just writing them down and then continuing to to think about them.

I do love the positive affirmation idea though! I have a few mantras I repeat to myself when I start to feel nervous. And often times I will go to the kitchen in the morning and find that my boyfriend has written something sweet or silly on our chalkboard so that helps as well.

Bookmark and Share